Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

so when you say "validate" a ticket

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 8 years ago by AlecWest.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
Member #60535
April 21, 2008
460 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2008, 8:59 am - IP Logged

does that mean you have to turn it over to an actual person at a lottery retailer? Or can you just scan the winning ticket on the self scanners to have it validated?  I wouldn't want some random cashier to know i'd even won a 5 out of 6 prize, let alone the big JP.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
    CT
    United States
    Member #61398
    May 21, 2008
    781 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2008, 9:01 am - IP Logged

If you don't want any convinient store cashiers to know, then you would take the ticket directly to the lottery HQ in your state.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: August 14, 2008, 9:43 am - IP Logged

If you have a jackpot winning ticket, take it to Lottery HQ to have it validated.  There are people out there who will snatch it given the chance. I was watching a TV show one day; it showed a woman at a gas station who bought a scratch off ticket that won a lot of money. I can't remember how much it was, but it was enough for her to get very excited. She started screaming, jumping up and down, and gave a hug to the clerk. Some other woman came up and snatched the ticket out of her hand. The victim tried to get it back, but was outnumbered by the thief and her friends. They got away with the ticket. They got caught, but the ticket wasn't found, and the victim never got the money. I would suspect a jackpot winning ticket would give some people the temptation to steal it. Don't forget to sign it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: August 14, 2008, 10:14 am - IP Logged

In Ohio any winning ticket that's $600 to $5,000, can be validated at a lottery  retailer and then taken to a bank cashing location for the money.

Winning tickets over $5,000 must be validated at one of the lottery regional offices, but I suppose any tickets can be validated at those locations.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #60535
          April 21, 2008
          460 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2008, 10:16 am - IP Logged

In Ohio any winning ticket that's $600 to $5,000, can be validated at a lottery  retailer and then taken to a bank cashing location for the money.

Winning tickets over $5,000 must be validated at one of the lottery regional offices, but I suppose any tickets can be validated at those locations.

wow that's awesome, i wonder if they do that in Florida!

AlecWest's avatar - alec
            Vader, Washington
            United States
            Member #29697
            January 5, 2006
            108 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

does that mean you have to turn it over to an actual person at a lottery retailer? Or can you just scan the winning ticket on the self scanners to have it validated?  I wouldn't want some random cashier to know i'd even won a 5 out of 6 prize, let alone the big JP.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  But I suspect "validation" is a process that takes place at Lottery HQ where they actually "examine" the ticket to make certain it's genuine.  BTW, I always check my tickets online.  So far, the only tickets I've ever had are losers of low cash-prize winners.  I used to take my tickets into a convenience store that had a machine in the customer area ... where customers could scan a ticket barcode themselves.  I only saw 2 responses in the LED window when I did this ... NOT A WINNER ... or ... SEE CASHIER.  And whenever I got a SEE CASHIER response, I always signed the ticket first.  Healthy paranoia perhaps (grin) - but I've always thought a clerk might say, "Congratulations ... it's a $3 winner."  They'd pay me the $3 - then, after I left the store, they could sign the ticket themselves and cash in on a multimillion dollar jackpot (grin).

But now, I check all my tickets online.  NOT A WINNER and SEE CASHIER might not be the only 2 responses from the machine, after all.  I could envision scanning a jackpot winning ticket in the machine ... and the machine responding with flashing lights and an audio of "We're In The Money," as the machine announced - YOU'VE WON THE BIG JACKPOT - to everyone in the store.  If I won a big jackpot, I'd want to keep the news about it much quieter (grin).

FWIW, I did an online article on jackpot winning titled, "Lucky You" - dedicated to info and scenarios for winners who want to retain as much of their anonimity and privacy is possible.  It's currently undergoing a major overhaul.  Anyway, since I can make free phone calls anywhere in the U.S. (and a few foreign countries), I called a number of lottery agencies (and emailed others) to gleen info from them for the article.  And, I'll share one horror story from that article - a story passed on to me by Chip Polston, a lottery exec for the Kentucky Lottery Corporation.

A major winner in Kentucky wanted to retain his anonimity.  He requested that the Lottery Corporation only release info on him that was required by law.  Kentucky complied.  However, every time someone wins a jackpot (in any state), the retailer selling the ticket gets a bonus for selling it.  The retailer who sold the winning ticket got the bonus check.  Along with it, he got information on the winning ticket (including the ticket's barcode number).  He then used his own lottery ticket terminal (and the ticket's barcode number) to find the date and time of day when he'd sold the winning ticket.  Once he'd determined that, he went to his store's surveillance video archives to see sales activity at that day/time.  And when he saw the winner buying his ticket, he said to himself, "Hey, I know that guy."  The next time the winner came into that convenience store, the retailer "congratulated" him in front of everyone else in the store - some of whom also knew the winner.  (sigh) So much for his anonimity.

Since then, I've only bought tickets from vending machines - or at stores where no one knows me.

P.S. - I'd post a link to the online article ... but the site doesn't allow newcomers (I'm a newcomer?) to post links.

Regards - J. Alec West

United States
              Member #60535
              April 21, 2008
              460 Posts
              Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

yeah i check mine online but i'm always afraid i'll miss a 2 or 3 dollar winner so i scan them all myself.  I have just heard about that one guy who validated his ticket but lost it the actual ticket and the only reason he got the winnings after the claim date was because he validated his ticket.  I just wondered if he scanned it or if he turned it over the clerk to scan it. 

sucks to be that guy but personally if I won I wouldn't ever go back into the store I bought it from, but that's just me.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19816 Posts
                Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

"Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  But I suspect "validation" is a process that takes place at Lottery HQ where they actually "examine" the ticket to make certain it's genuine."

As I mentioned in my earlier post, in Ohio winning tickets up to $5000 can be validated by the local lottery retailers but those worth $600 or more have to be taken to a designated bank to get the cash.  Only winning tickets worth more than $5000 has to be validated by the state and the state not only check to make sure the ticket is good but also to see if the winner owes any fines, taxes or back child support.   

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                  Vader, Washington
                  United States
                  Member #29697
                  January 5, 2006
                  108 Posts
                  Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

What I'd do would depend on the state lottery I'm playing.  I live right on the Oregon/Washington border.  So, sometimes I get Oregon tickets, sometimes Washington tickets.  I prefer Washington tickets because, unlike Oregon, they allow winners to set up a "blind trust" ... and have an attorney acting as trustee claim the ticket - thereby retaining anonimity for the winner.  Other states like Ohio allow for the same anonimity protection via trustees.  One state, Kansas, actually has an anonimity provision written into their laws.  In Kansas, a lottery winner's identity is never revealed unless they sign a waiver form - giving Kansas permission to release info.  That anonimity provision is even an "exclusion" under Kansas state open-records laws.  Smart state (grin).

BTW, your comment "...if I won I wouldn't ever go back into the store I bought it from..." is one of the pieces of advice I give in my online article (grin).  I believe that almost anyone can retain their anonimity if they REALLY want to do so.  It just takes more work (and sometimes skullduggery, hehe)  in some states than in others.

Regards - J. Alec West

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                    Vader, Washington
                    United States
                    Member #29697
                    January 5, 2006
                    108 Posts
                    Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

"Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  But I suspect "validation" is a process that takes place at Lottery HQ where they actually "examine" the ticket to make certain it's genuine."

As I mentioned in my earlier post, in Ohio winning tickets up to $5000 can be validated by the local lottery retailers but those worth $600 or more have to be taken to a designated bank to get the cash.  Only winning tickets worth more than $5000 has to be validated by the state and the state not only check to make sure the ticket is good but also to see if the winner owes any fines, taxes or back child support.   

Yes, absolutely.  They not only check the "ticket" to make sure it's genuine.  They also run a background check on the "winner" to make certain there aren't any outstanding arrest warrants, liens (tax, etc.), or other judgements (child support).  If a person was due to receive $1,000,000 from a state lottery commission but had an IRS lien outstanding for $200,000 on their record, they'd only get a check for $800,000 - with the remainder sent to the IRS.

BTW, and I suspect it's changed, but at one time, Kentucky was the only state in the country that refused to recognize child support orders from other states.

Regards - J. Alec West

United States
                      Member #60535
                      April 21, 2008
                      460 Posts
                      Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Yes, absolutely.  They not only check the "ticket" to make sure it's genuine.  They also run a background check on the "winner" to make certain there aren't any outstanding arrest warrants, liens (tax, etc.), or other judgements (child support).  If a person was due to receive $1,000,000 from a state lottery commission but had an IRS lien outstanding for $200,000 on their record, they'd only get a check for $800,000 - with the remainder sent to the IRS.

BTW, and I suspect it's changed, but at one time, Kentucky was the only state in the country that refused to recognize child support orders from other states.

Regards - J. Alec West

WOW that's harsh.  I guess all of the deadbeat dads that want to play lotto are moving to Kentucky in droves.  I sure hope you are right and that's changed because that is totally unfair.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                        Vader, Washington
                        United States
                        Member #29697
                        January 5, 2006
                        108 Posts
                        Posted: August 14, 2008, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

WOW that's harsh.  I guess all of the deadbeat dads that want to play lotto are moving to Kentucky in droves.  I sure hope you are right and that's changed because that is totally unfair.

I had a Navy buddy who, before he joined, got his girlfriend pregnant.  He offered to pay child support - but the girlfriend's father told him to just "stay away" - that he didn't want him involved in his daughter's life anymore in ANY capacity (even support).  So, that's what he did.  But when he got out of the Navy and returned home to Indiana, he received a letter from the state welfare agency - asking for back child support for 5 children.

No (grin), the girlfriend didn't have quintuplets.  She had only 1 child.  But while my buddy was in the Navy, the girlfriend married another guy and had 4 more kids over the next 4 years.  The guy "split" to Kentucky ... and the Indiana welfare agency couldn't touch him.  So, they sent a support order for 5 kids to my buddy - knowing he'd have to show up for a hearing to disprove his responsibility for the other 4.  If he didn't show up, the Indiana welfare agency's order would stand by default.

My buddy eventually moved to Ohio for work purposes.  And I used to tease him on the phone by singing the lyrics of a popular Bobby Sherman song, "Indiana wants me - Lord I can't go back there..."  I know, hehe - it was a cruel thing to do.  But in truth, he did do the right thing and paid his back support (for the 1 kid) ... eventually married himself to another woman and, together, they had 4 kids (hmmm).

Regards - J. Alec West

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: August 14, 2008, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

If you have a prize under $600, then just cash it in at a local retailer.  I go to the large supermarkets where I know they'll have the money.  Although every retailer is supposed to pay you, there are many who are reluctant to do so.  Some people on this board have written that they have to pay you if they sell lottery tickets, but that's not entirely true. Depends on the circumstances. Although it clearly says to take your ticket to any lottery retailer, there is a disclaimer (at least in the FL rules) stating that funds might not be available at all times during the course of business.  If it's just a bad attitude, I would stop doing business with that retailer or report the store if the people are rude to you.  But some stores do not keep a lot of money in the register, especially at night.  I mean, let's say 3 different people won the pick3, someone just before won $500 with a scratch-off and then you walk in to collect $500.  Nobody can expect a small convenience store to have $3,000 sitting in the cash register.  It wouldn't be safe.   

Gamer Mom, to answer your question regarding Ohio - No, not in Florida.  If the prize is $600 or more then you need to go to a local lottery office.   All of this is explained in the FAQs on their website. 

Regarding validation, I agree with the posts that tell you to go to the Lottery Office if you know you've won a prize larger than $600.  You can go to any retailer, but I wouldn't.  In fact, since the local branch only pays up to $250,000 I'd skip it and drive straight to Tallahassee if I won a big jackpot.  The less people know I won before I have the money in the bank, the better!

BTW, we have scanners in the stores that tell you if your ticket is a winner, but I never use them.  The results are readily available (in the paper, on Lottery Post, on the state website, etc.) so it's never necessary to ask a clerk to check your ticket.  I agree with the others that it's not safe.  I wouldn't feel comfortable driving home after someone yells "You just won a million dollars!  OMG!" 

Just my 2 cents.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: August 14, 2008, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Just to clarify what I wrote, I was agreeing with RJOh.  A ticket can be validated anywhere, but in Florida you have to go to one of the regional lottery offices if the prize is $600 or more.  I think what Ohio does make sense, although we have an office less than 25 miles from here, so it really wouldn't matter to me.

I was only saying I'd feel uncomfortable validating a big prize at a store.  Even when a woman won $5,000 on an instant game ticket, people were talking about it for days.  "That's the lady who won $5,000 a couple of days ago."   

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8360 Posts
                              Posted: August 14, 2008, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

When you use a scanner to check your tickets if it's over 600 bucks it will usually say take ticket to cashier to validate.

When the cashier validates the ticket if it's a jackpot winner you have to take the ticket to the lottery office in your location to get it cashed. The cashier that validated your ticket should give you the validation receipt.

In any of the above statements before i would ask the retailer to check my ticket i would ask for a lottery number print out and check the tickets myself.

If i clearly have a winner over 5000 bucks then i would just go to the local lottery office and get it cashed.  

Some places here in Maryland can cash a ticket up to 5000 bucks any ticket that is more than 5 grand has to be taken to the lottery HQ.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.