Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

so when you say "validate" a ticket

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 8 years ago by AlecWest.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2008, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Just to clarify what I wrote, I was agreeing with RJOh.  A ticket can be validated anywhere, but in Florida you have to go to one of the regional lottery offices if the prize is $600 or more.  I think what Ohio does make sense, although we have an office less than 25 miles from here, so it really wouldn't matter to me.

I was only saying I'd feel uncomfortable validating a big prize at a store.  Even when a woman won $5,000 on an instant game ticket, people were talking about it for days.  "That's the lady who won $5,000 a couple of days ago."   

I always check the lottery websites and mark the winning numbers on my tickets with a pink highlighter (since the terminals don't see that color), so I know how much I've won when I take my tickets to be cashed. 

If I won more than $5000, I wouldn't have my tickets validated locally, I would go directly  to the lottery regional office.  Beside I wouldn't want anyone local to know I could have something in my pocket worth more than $5000, maybe even a million dollars or more to the holder, it wouldn't be safe.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3475 Posts
    Posted: August 15, 2008, 12:34 am - IP Logged

"Indiana wants me - Lord I can't go back there..."

There's a blast from the past. It was R Dean Taylor, not Bobby Sherrman, though.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #22395
      September 24, 2005
      1583 Posts
      Posted: August 15, 2008, 1:59 am - IP Logged
        justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2008, 3:51 am - IP Logged

Hmm... I guess I was too busy listening to Every Good Boy Deserves Favour. Hippy

I need to be validated.  If I put my finger under the scanner will it say "you are a winner?" 

AlecWest's avatar - alec
          Vader, Washington
          United States
          Member #29697
          January 5, 2006
          108 Posts
          Posted: August 15, 2008, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Hmm... I guess I was too busy listening to Every Good Boy Deserves Favour. Hippy

I need to be validated.  If I put my finger under the scanner will it say "you are a winner?" 

First ... to KY Floyd ... thanks for correcting me on that.  For some reason I'd always attributed that song to Bobby Sherman.  Must be a senior moment, hehehe.  And thanks truecritic for providing the music.

Justxploring, you and me both on the Moody Blues (with a good dose of Genesis and Yes added in).  "Indiana Wants Me" was one of those "button" songs for me, hehehe.  Whenever I'd hear the song on the radio while I was driving, I'd quickly reach for the "button" to move to a different station (grin).  Other "button" songs for me included "Macarthur Park," "Yummy Yummy Yummy," and anything by the Archies (grin).

Anyway, I did want to validate one thing (grin).  I was NEVER a fan of "Indiana Wants Me."  It just had this nasty habit of popping up on my local stations a lot ... and for a long time.  Kept my button finger busy back then.

Regards - J. Alec West

AlecWest's avatar - alec
            Vader, Washington
            United States
            Member #29697
            January 5, 2006
            108 Posts
            Posted: August 15, 2008, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

FWIW, I have a personal favorite "blast from the past" ... and it's actually similar in context to "Indiana Wants Me."  Unfortunately, since I'm still considered a (ahem) newcomer here, they won't let me post links.  However, take that link you gave above and change the identifying video number from:

DoeLOD9zD6A

to:

PXN8354RT-4

I still listen to that song, even today, and still like it.

Regards - J. Alec West

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2008, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

does that mean you have to turn it over to an actual person at a lottery retailer? Or can you just scan the winning ticket on the self scanners to have it validated?  I wouldn't want some random cashier to know i'd even won a 5 out of 6 prize, let alone the big JP.

That's one way.

Another is to sit down with your tickets over coffee and explain to them how in their own unique ways, they can all be winners. If not in this drawing, then possibly the next. Besies, a ticket can win a lower tier prize and still feel good about itself. Clown

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2008, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately, since I'm still considered a (ahem) newcomer here, they won't let me post links.

Alec, I'm just curious what you mean.  What?  I have trouble posting links with some browsers.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                  Vader, Washington
                  United States
                  Member #29697
                  January 5, 2006
                  108 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2008, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately, since I'm still considered a (ahem) newcomer here, they won't let me post links.

Alec, I'm just curious what you mean.  What?  I have trouble posting links with some browsers.

When I attempt to post a link in this forum, an actual website note comes up - telling me that I cannot post links because I'm a "newcomer."  Heck, I've been on this board since 2006.  However, I know what they're doing and would prefer they just be honest about it.  It isn't how long you've been with this forum that matters.  It's how many posts a person makes.  Once you cross a certain threshhold of posts, your "status" changes - and the ability to post links is enabled.

The note that comes up also says that the reason they're doing this is to prevent "newcomers" who come here just to post spam.  An understandable precaution ... but it has nothing to do with "longevity" in the forum and everything to do with how "talkative" a forum member is.

You'd think the board honchos here would allow for an "exception" for people who have been members for two years or more.  Sheesh.

Regards - J. Alec West  - (a 2-year member who's being punished for being a "quieter" member)