Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if you had to share your jackpot?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Think.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2008, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

That reminds me of a question. Suppose there was a $400 mil jackpot and you had one winning ticket and somewhere across the country 9 people won in an office pool bearing one winning ticket. Would you be splitting it ten ways or do you get half of the jackpot, while the other 9 have to split the other half nine ways?

Why would that make any difference?  Each ticket represents one share of the jackpot.  So it doesn't matter how many people are involved, even it there are 100 others.

Example 1:  Jackpot is $20 million

You buy 1 ticket with winning combination.

Someone else buys 1 ticket with winning combination.

You each win $10 million. 

Example 2:  Jackpot is $20 million

You buy 1 ticket with winning combination.

A group of 10 buys 1 ticket with winning combination.

You still win $10 million & they split the other $10 million. 

Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2008, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

To answer the OP - I wouldn't care if I had to split any amount.  A win is still a win.  Sometimes I feel like banging my head against a wall when I'm really close, but I'm still happy even when I get a $10 win. 

Would be happy to share?  Of course, if I won pick-5 and had to split a $240,000 jackpot 8 ways (it happens) I'd be disappointed the minute I saw that 7 other winners hit, but I'd still be happy I won something and get over it!  If the jackpot were $100 million and 20 other people won, I doubt if I'd even be upset.  In fact, I'd probably feel a little relieved.

Then there's that movie with Jim Carrey (Bruce Almighty) that Coin Toss mentioned in a couple of posts.  I finally had to watch it to see what he means!  In that case, I'd go a little nuts.  LOL

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
      mn
      United States
      Member #59040
      March 4, 2008
      276 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2008, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

I don't know, if I'm playing for 15 mill face value, I want 15 mill face value and the same goes for all intervals high and low.

So no I dont want ANYBODY to win with me especially since the majority of winners win on their lonesome(no pool) and theres only ONE winning ticket. So if somebody else wins with me I would be P*ISSED.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
      "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2008, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Rubberbandman

This is a silly subject to debate, but what isn't about the Lottery? Clown So I'm curious to hear why you feel your $1 bill is worth more than another person's $1 bill? 

You specifically said you would be "P*SSED."  (disappointed is different)   I want to see the rule that says "only one top prize will awarded...."  To people who get upset over splits, you should probably only purchase raffle tickets or buy scratch-offs. 

mn
          United States
          Member #59040
          March 4, 2008
          276 Posts
          Posted: August 16, 2008, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

O.k. justx

I don't feel that way and you're putting words in my mouth;

but to know that the chances of winning are astronomical, and if you win the chances of you sharing are also astronomical, then somebody else wins wouldn't be (disappointed) I think you would be also.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 16, 2008, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

Quotes:

Post #1

So no I dont want ANYBODY to win with me especially since the majority of winners win on their lonesome(no pool) and theres only ONE winning ticket. So if somebody else wins with me I would be P*ISSED.

Post #2

What?

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
              Nova Scotia
              Canada
              Member #9934
              December 27, 2004
              884 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2008, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Honestly I wouldn't want to share with any others if it was only a small jackpot, which it has been more than once. On the otherhand if it was a good size jackpot and I received a few million I'd be very happy!    Dance

I want to travel very much, and buy the things I've always wanted to acquire, as well as help people, and get a house for myself. Which I have lacked so far, but hope to attain sometime!Hurray!

mn
                United States
                Member #59040
                March 4, 2008
                276 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2008, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Quotes:

Post #1

Post #2

What?

1) Is it not true, because from what I read and heard it is, all these people playing their birthdays and whatnot and these elderly people winning record high intervals, and it seems to me that they are playing on their lonesome; and its rare that more than one person wins simultaneously and anyways when was the last time that even happened November 1, 2006 with the 47 mill by AZ and MN winners, so I re-iterate yes I would be P*SSED;

2) For the above reasons, not because I think I am better than anybody else.

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2008, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I guess we are both misunderstood souls.  LOL   I never meant to imply that you thought you were better than other people in any of my posts and am sorry for your inference.  I was only saying that if someone is disappointed because others also hit a jackpot, it's understandable, but certainly not something to get terribly upset about, considering the odds are that you'll never win anyway.  Anyway, I never tell others how to feel.  Only giving my opinion and asked what would make you p'd off. 

mn
                    United States
                    Member #59040
                    March 4, 2008
                    276 Posts
                    Posted: August 16, 2008, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

I also apologize for my dialogue. I agree that the chances are against MOST people, (I wouldn't play if I had any doubt that's ridiculous, my chances of winning are 99-100%), is very slim and that in itself proves a point to everything else in our conversation-chances are you would be the only one to win; that's why people would be upset myself included if someone else won.

I suppose if the interval was 400 mill I wouldn't mind as much if someone besides myself also won but I would be as you say "p'd off".

Again I apologize, I just state what I know.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                      Clarksville
                      United States
                      Member #487
                      July 15, 2002
                      17638 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2008, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

split a jackpot?  happy!!  Been there..done that!! Long as it's over a 1 thousand..I am happy!!  a lady and I split a $50,000.00 jackpot. we each got 25 a piece..i was real happy..:) 

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2008, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

split a jackpot?  happy!!  Been there..done that!! Long as it's over a 1 thousand..I am happy!!  a lady and I split a $50,000.00 jackpot. we each got 25 a piece..i was real happy..:) 

That's wonderful.  Congratulations!  That must have been a great feeling. 

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                          Marquette, MI
                          United States
                          Member #20541
                          August 20, 2005
                          705 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2008, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

What do you mean if??  You do HAVE to split any jackpot you win with about 350,000,000 people.

It is called taxes.