Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why you should try to remain anonymous if you ever win a jackpot!

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 8 years ago by chasingadream.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: September 28, 2008, 12:16 am - IP Logged

People don't care that you won the lottery; they care that you have a lot of money. Claiming a jackpot anonymously by me would be useless because if I'm living in a big house and driving around in a Lamborghini, it won't matter.

Gonna win.Big Smile

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
    Raleigh
    United States
    Member #49057
    January 17, 2007
    172 Posts
    Posted: September 28, 2008, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

People don't care that you won the lottery; they care that you have a lot of money. Claiming a jackpot anonymously by me would be useless because if I'm living in a big house and driving around in a Lamborghini, it won't matter.

I have to respectfully disagree.

If you have a lot of money, but you worked hard for it, people will respect that and will not coming begging for money too often. Of course, you will still have your gold-diggers and your occasional wacko, but it will be pretty limited.

If you win the lottery and you are not anonymous, you will have waves of people begging for money.

First, you have all your friends and family, expecting there share.

Then, you have people who aren't really your friends or are your second cousin, and they think they should get some of your luck too.

Then, you have the thousands of people that will see that you won on the news and tell you their sad story and how you should help them out.

Don't believe me? Let me share an example.

I collect my paycheck every two weeks. No one has ever seen me collect my paycheck and expect me to give them some money just because I got paid.

I collect a $100 powerball win, and half the people I tell say, I guess you are buying lunch.

If you win, and are not anonymous, everyone that knows you won your money, instead of earned it, is going to expect their free lunch from you.

You may be okay with that, and able to say no, but many people just cannot.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
      Dallas, TX
      United States
      Member #60284
      April 12, 2008
      3856 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2008, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I would choose anonymous. I love being anonymous.

In today society hypes up the mentality of being famous for just about doing anything, even making a fool of oneself to become famous.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
        CT
        United States
        Member #61398
        May 21, 2008
        781 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2008, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

It would sure slow the onslaught of free loaders if you weren't blasted all over TV and the news though.

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
          Member #60535
          April 21, 2008
          460 Posts
          Posted: September 30, 2008, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

You may be okay with that, and able to say no, but many people just cannot.

Florida lottery does not allow you to remain annonymous but I would simply say that my financial planner has my money tied up and I am not allowed to touch it at the moment.  That wouldn't be true, of course, but it sounds better than HECK NO. 

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
            Member #38687
            May 3, 2006
            315 Posts
            Posted: September 30, 2008, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

"Don't believe me? Let me share an example.

I collect my paycheck every two weeks. No one has ever seen me collect my paycheck and expect me to give them some money just because I got paid.

I collect a $100 powerball win, and half the people I tell say, I guess you are buying lunch.

If you win, and are not anonymous, everyone that knows you won your money, instead of earned it, is going to expect their free lunch from you."

I totally agree. I won 1k on a scratcher in Ga last year and everybody i told suddenly needed $100-$200.

I don't think I would change my name though. I have several different plans for how I would claim my prize when its my turn. I plan on taking the annual payments......so the name change wouldn't work for me. I don't want my checks coming with the name Joe Blow and my DL has the name John Jacob-jingleheimer-schmit :-P

I would change my DL to another state far far away from where I actually live. Then claim in the name of either a trust or LLC.

One thing I thought was really funny was the "extreme makeover". I had already said that I would do this. I would go the whole 9yards.......fat suit, beard, lace-front wig change skin color. Lucky for me I know a drag queen that would love to put me (or anybody else) in some dress up.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot