Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cash or annuity

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 8 years ago by psykomo.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

You want cash or annuity now

cash [ 55 ]  [77.46%]
annuity [ 16 ]  [22.54%]
Total Valid Votes [ 71 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
JAP69's avatar - alas
South Carolina
United States
Member #6
November 4, 2001
8790 Posts
Posted: September 21, 2008, 12:40 am - IP Logged

Maybe some inquiries at our state lottery would help in informing us on who buys these annuities.

How are they guaranteed for principal balance etc , etc.

WHATT

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: September 21, 2008, 12:50 am - IP Logged

@Pac: JP Morgan bought Bear-Stearns ... the week after that lying piece of shill Jim Cramer told everyone 'don't worry', etc. about the shares. Of course, afterwards, he was parsing his words about what he really meant.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Medford, OR
      United States
      Member #35239
      March 14, 2006
      2 Posts
      Posted: September 21, 2008, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Basically if you get a couple of CDARS accounts at different banks, each account is insured up to 30 million, so lump sum would be the smart way to go.  The interest alone would provide a real nice lifestyle.

You gotta be in it to win it! Lurking

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2008, 12:15 am - IP Logged

@Pac: JP Morgan bought Bear-Stearns ... the week after that lying piece of shill Jim Cramer told everyone 'don't worry', etc. about the shares. Of course, afterwards, he was parsing his words about what he really meant.

That's right, now I remember...thanx.

Take the money and run.

At this rate, it's only a matter of time before the 13 illuminati criminal family bank cartels start buying each other out, leaving a central one world government. 

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2008, 12:37 am - IP Logged

They are already merging. JP bought Chase, remember? Their proper name is JPMorgan Chase.

(Well, they've bought many things, but that's enough to get you started... Scared)

Between the search engines, and their own home pages, you'll be sorry you mentioned it. I'm sure you will notice one fellow whose name keeps popping up.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: September 23, 2008, 1:00 am - IP Logged

They are already merging. JP bought Chase, remember? Their proper name is JPMorgan Chase.

(Well, they've bought many things, but that's enough to get you started... Scared)

Between the search engines, and their own home pages, you'll be sorry you mentioned it. I'm sure you will notice one fellow whose name keeps popping up.

Now that i've exposed these crude criminals of crime against humanity, wil there be black ops helios hovering above my house?...  

Will my laptop suddenly crash?

Will my air freshener cease to blow puffs of herbal essence and scents into the air?

What is the world coming to?

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
              Arizona
              United States
              Member #52803
              June 10, 2007
              88 Posts
              Posted: September 24, 2008, 5:42 am - IP Logged

In light of the current financial crisis that the USA is going through, I might be tempted to take the cash payment.  But after taking the cash payment and paying the taxes on it, what would you invest it in?  Where would you keep the money?  That would be an immediate concern to deal with.

If we weren't going through this financial crisis, I would definitely take the annuity, and I just turned 50 last month.  Let's say that I won the Powerball jackpot with a 30 year annuity payout.  First of all, it's really 30 payments over 29 years.  I (or my beneficiary) would get the last payment in 2037.  I would be 79 years old at the time.  If I took good care of myself, it's very conceivable that I should live to be at least 79 years old, God willing.  But, if I live to be 65 and collect 16 annuity payments, then I've already come out ahead because I would have collected more money than by taking the cash payout (do the math).

If the world falls apart and the financial institutions come down, then I'm not so sure that money is going to be worth all that much anyway in the aftermath.

But in light of the current financial crisis that we're going through, it really is something to think about.  I guess if anything, one could take the cash payout and store the money in a safe deposit box at a bank.

Money can't buy you happiness, but I sure could afford the misery that it brings! Wink

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: September 24, 2008, 6:19 am - IP Logged

The USA is not the only nation dealing with this situation. It is being felt in every developed nation. The world is not going to "fall apart". It will be more like a ... controlled demolition, a realignment of economic power. This happens every 80 - 100 years. Think Great Britain circa 1900 [when the sun was always shining somewhere in the British Empire], France in 1800, and so on... It's our turn.

If you really want to invest your money during a 'crisis', you put it where those who are handling(sic) the crisis are putting theirs. That information is publicly available.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3300 Posts
                  Posted: September 24, 2008, 6:31 am - IP Logged

you could follow Warren Buffet and buy what he buys, or just invest in berkshire hathaway or while the dollar is still worth something buy gold,  gold coins buried 2000 years ago are worth something, more than can be said for the paper you stuff under the matress in 2000 ,200 or ;hopefully not, 20 years.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                    Raleigh
                    United States
                    Member #49057
                    January 17, 2007
                    172 Posts
                    Posted: September 24, 2008, 7:47 am - IP Logged

Buying what he buys is not smart, because you will not get the same terms he does.

When he buys a company, he usually gets preferred shares, which payout more than common stock.

If you want to take advantage of his investments, invest in Berkshire Hathaway.

Old Eagle's avatar - bald13
                      Washington
                      United States
                      Member #51939
                      May 2, 2007
                      1373 Posts
                      Posted: September 25, 2008, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

But with being a multi-millionaire you need write offs (home loan(s), car leases) to keep Uncle Sam out of your now deep pockets! Charities are good for some write offs but a home mortgage is the best long term one out there! 50% down on a large home (1-2 million dollar home) at todays rates will give you a nice write off on your over all tax bill.

Your rationale is grossly flawed, as pointed out by KY Floyd.  It doesn't take a Masters Degree in finance to understand that your tax savings would be far less than your interest payments.  What a way to throw money away that could be used far better.  You would still get a tax write-off, if that's what you're looking for, by giving that money spent on interest to your favotite charity.  Either way, you are giving away much more than you are saving in taxes, buty the latter way benefits people in need, not the wealthy bankers.

"To most people, the sky is the limit.  To those who love to fly, the sky is home"

awwcrap's avatar - moon
                        ky
                        United States
                        Member #37768
                        April 19, 2006
                        90 Posts
                        Posted: September 25, 2008, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Cash of courseParty

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                          Member #4121
                          March 23, 2004
                          817 Posts
                          Posted: September 25, 2008, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Buying what he buys is not smart, because you will not get the same terms he does.

When he buys a company, he usually gets preferred shares, which payout more than common stock.

If you want to take advantage of his investments, invest in Berkshire Hathaway.

If I hit the powerball, I will buy a few shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock. 

DC81's avatar - batman39
                            MI
                            United States
                            Member #54830
                            August 31, 2007
                            985 Posts
                            Posted: September 27, 2008, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

I'd go with things that people need, especially food or things that are somewhat rare and high demand such as gold still.

Perhaps I would build that bunker to put everything in...

You can't predict random.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                              Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: October 12, 2008, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

I'd go with things that people need, especially food or things that are somewhat rare and high demand such as gold still.

Perhaps I would build that bunker to put everything in...

You're right, I'd be buying gold and platinum! Gold or Platinum has no boundaries/borders as to what country it will spend in! Any precious metal of the like will due in the trouble times of any Government/nations failing financial sector! It's the only WORLDLY CURRENCY there is!

It's better than some two sided printed piece of paper being back by nothing more than FAITH of some Government some where in the World! Most Governments are CORRUPT! I'll be damned, sounds like the United States falls into that category now since our Government approved the 700 Billion Dollar bailout of the Corrupt Financial Institutions of Wall Street! Wall Street and The United States Government make Great Bed Fellows, don't you think?

If you lay down with a dog that has fleas, you're bound to have fleas too before you get up and walk away!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up