Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball rolling until Jan.?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 8 years ago by mymonthlypicks.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: September 22, 2008, 7:02 am - IP Logged

I was just thinking, what if Powerball rolled over all the way until Jan. when the new rules take place? Then the game becomes harder to win, and could reach a billion fast. I doubt it will, just a thought. I suspect it will be won 2-5 more times at least before then.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: September 22, 2008, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

It would hit the cap long before that. I doubt this run will last even four more drawings. It hasn't broken the 300 million mark since 2006 and it won't until 2-6 months after the matrix change if then.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: September 22, 2008, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

It would never hit a billion. Too many people would be playing waybefore it even got close. $400 million is possible even with it'scurrent odds. $500 million? I couldn't see it happening with thecurrent odds, but after the matrix changes, I could see a very slightchance of it happening. Of course, this is assuming the caps below $500million are reached first.

$390m

$415m

$440m

$465m

$490m

Next cap would be at $515 million. That's a lot of caps though. Itwould take years before $500 million would be reachable if Powerballdoesn't change or eliminate the cap.

Gonna win.Big Smile

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2008, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

I agree. It will never reach a billion. I can see $400 million being a possiblity, but imo, $500 million would be pushing it.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

ConstantlyB's avatar - chi
          Wilson
          United States
          Member #54516
          August 21, 2007
          2802 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2008, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

I just want to hit he darn thing....at whatever level!

I'm in it to win it!!

"MAKE THAT MONEY YA'LL"

wisdom from Tyler Perry's Madea:"It doesn't matter what people call you....it's what you answer to."

PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: September 22, 2008, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

How much does it go up each time after the cap? More people would play which would increase the size faster, but also the chances of winning. I would not mind the second prize pool either after the cap. I forget what it was, but I thought it was also in the lower millions?

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: September 23, 2008, 2:12 am - IP Logged

The cap is $25 million, and takes effect whenever the previous record is reached. The way things have been going, it would probably have to roll 4 more times to reach the next cap of 390 million on 10/8. That leaves 24 more drawings before the end of the year. If it rolled until then the final jackpot would be 990 million. As far as the chances of that, they're a lot slimmer than the chances that your ticket will win. No matter how many tickets are sold a substantial percentage of the combinations will remain unsold, so once it rolls there's probably a 20 to 30% chance that it will roll the next time. If 30% of combinations remain unsold for each drawing, the chances of 24 consecutive rolls would be about 1 in 3.5 trillion. Completely possible, but thorougly improbable. The new matrix will raise the average jackpot, and will certainly make a $500 million jackpot much more likely, but odds are we'll still never see a jackpot of a billion until they abolish the cap or increase the matrix again.

The value of the 2nd place prize can vary substantially. If the jackpot goes from 300 to 390 it probably wouldn't have gone much higher without the cap, so there won't be that much to add to the normal prize. If the jackpot lands at 350 or so, an uncapped jackpot would probably get close to 450, so there could be 25 to 30 million added to the 2nd place pool. Split among 30 to 40 winners that would add 700k to a million. Subsequent rolls would probably add about another million for each winner.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                Member #4121
                March 23, 2004
                817 Posts
                Posted: September 23, 2008, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

WOW~$1 billion jackpot!! I would faint!!

United States
                  Member #26330
                  November 16, 2005
                  330 Posts
                  Posted: September 23, 2008, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it could hit a Billion.  Even if it did....think of the negative side also.   You would be beyond famous forget Jack Whittaker you would be hounded for the REST of your life!  It would take years to hit that level again and make people forget..and with the current financial mess people are looking for dreams.  Anywhere you went anything you did would be a story...they would interview friends family and any enemy you ever had.  So I would be comfortable hitting a nice $200+ million jackpot or so and riding off into the sunset never to be seen again....LOL

PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2008, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

I'll take the fame for that price. But heck I would even be happier like I said many times before, hitting the lowly $20 million dollar jackpot the next week after a record breaking win. I would be invisible for life!

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                      Member #38687
                      May 3, 2006
                      315 Posts
                      Posted: September 23, 2008, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

yeah that would be kinda wild if something like that happened but sadly it won't.

I think about crazy things like that all the time......or what if you were to hit both multistate lottery games in the same week. Now that would mos def be a calling card for the crazies.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

United States
                        Member #65358
                        September 25, 2008
                        1 Posts
                        Posted: September 25, 2008, 1:42 am - IP Logged

It won't be rolling over anymore,  I'm winning the jackpot on Saturday.  Big Smile

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
                          Washington *state*
                          United States
                          Member #62009
                          June 14, 2008
                          192 Posts
                          Posted: September 25, 2008, 2:07 am - IP Logged

It always boggles my mind when it reaches these high levels.  Though it should for any amount, its these big jackpots that get me thinking.........there is......at this time.......someone or someones out there right now and they don't even know they will be a millionaire soon.  As long as they continue to buy the tickets, it being one ticket or 20 tickets......its their destiny if you want to say it that way that they are going to hit the big one and they have no clue its about to happen.

I always bring this up to my husband....like..i wonder if they are pulling change out of their couch right now for a gallon of milk, or gas..........are they eating mac and cheese for dinner because they ain't exactly rich..OR are they eating steak, and watching football on their huge flatscreen.....or just got back from a 2 week vacation in Hawaii. Not that they don't deserve to win, I'm just making examples of just who that person is, and what their life is like right now.

Gee.....maybe that person who is going to win is typing a post on LP wondering who the winner will be this Saturday and what their doing right now... LOL HINT HINT.  I so hope its me....if not.....please oh please give me enough to get out of debt and buy a new car before mine dies. lol

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jester

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: September 25, 2008, 2:33 am - IP Logged

yeah some say the history of the universe is already decided, its just we cant read it yet.  maybe the winner has already been determined. i know its not likely to be me, i dont buy powerball tickets.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: September 25, 2008, 3:35 am - IP Logged

Yeah another roll! Just once I wish someone like me would hit, who actually knows they will win eventually, and is ready to win!