Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pick-Quickpick Question

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
Member #5599
July 13, 2004
1185 Posts
Posted: October 8, 2008, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

Is the same computer that is used to pick the lottery numbers also used to issue quickpicks?

A nifty way to control the amount of winners. *S*

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3106 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2008, 2:00 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Is the same computer that is used to pick the lottery numbers also used to issue quickpicks?

No.  The terminal at the store makes up the QP, then transmits what it did to lottery HQ later.  The draw computer is a stand alone machine connected to nothing else.  At least that's what they tell us . . .

BobP

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23277 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2008, 8:50 am - IP Logged

No.  The terminal at the store makes up the QP, then transmits what it did to lottery HQ later.  The draw computer is a stand alone machine connected to nothing else.  At least that's what they tell us . . .

BobP

Well, the lottery terminals in the stores do create the quick picks, but they are transmitted immediately.  The ticket is not generated until the numbers are registered in the central database, which happens very quickly.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
        Sunny California
        United States
        Member #63790
        August 8, 2008
        220 Posts
        Posted: October 9, 2008, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

What about if you make your own picks? Do they send those numbers to the Lotto HQ immediately?

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2008, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

What about if you make your own picks? Do they send those numbers to the Lotto HQ immediately?

yes.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2008, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but they mail them in, which by snail mail can take up to 5  business days.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5124 Posts
              Posted: October 10, 2008, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

thank's JKING:

great?????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psyko can only ask & say "I HOPE NOT"......but>>

maby Todd & other's will have much better input!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
                SC
                United States
                Member #56656
                November 28, 2007
                511 Posts
                Posted: October 11, 2008, 12:22 am - IP Logged

Well, the lottery terminals in the stores do create the quick picks, but they are transmitted immediately.  The ticket is not generated until the numbers are registered in the central database, which happens very quickly.

Yes, and in the case of picking your own numbers, they are checked against a list to be sure that those numbers, in that order, do not exceed a pre-determined maximum of sales.

Let the good times roll...

SC
                  United States
                  Member #56656
                  November 28, 2007
                  511 Posts
                  Posted: October 11, 2008, 12:35 am - IP Logged

Yes, but they mail them in, which by snail mail can take up to 5  business days.

Sorry, but due to the deficit and the economic nosedive, the Post Office can no longer mail those tickets to you. They ask kindly if you please go to your State Lottery Headquarters to get your tickets.    P.S.- Get there early in order to get a low number for the waiting line.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: October 11, 2008, 12:47 am - IP Logged

Sorry, but due to the deficit and the economic nosedive, the Post Office can no longer mail those tickets to you. They ask kindly if you please go to your State Lottery Headquarters to get your tickets.    P.S.- Get there early in order to get a low number for the waiting line.

I already tried this. They told me i had to wait another 14 weeks before sending my tickets. I wrote the postmaster about this and he said there is nothing they can do about it.

I told him that the next time I purchase tickets with my own picks, I'd better get them straight from the terminal, and that those entries would be sent 2 day priority mail so it would get there in time for the drawing.

I can only cross my fingers. 

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23277 Posts
                      Posted: October 11, 2008, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Yes, and in the case of picking your own numbers, they are checked against a list to be sure that those numbers, in that order, do not exceed a pre-determined maximum of sales.

That is not true as a blanket statement.

Such a thing would only be considered by a state for certain games such as Pick 3 and Pick 4.  Not so for a lotto game like Pick 5 or Pick 6 (or a multi-state jackpot game).

Also, states that payout pari-mutuel, like California and New Jersey, do not have that issue.  The numbers don't "run out" because the payouts are always adjusted based on the number of tickets sold for the winning combination.

SC
                        United States
                        Member #56656
                        November 28, 2007
                        511 Posts
                        Posted: October 11, 2008, 9:52 am - IP Logged

I already tried this. They told me i had to wait another 14 weeks before sending my tickets. I wrote the postmaster about this and he said there is nothing they can do about it.

I told him that the next time I purchase tickets with my own picks, I'd better get them straight from the terminal, and that those entries would be sent 2 day priority mail so it would get there in time for the drawing.

I can only cross my fingers. 

ROFL  Thumbs Up

SC
                          United States
                          Member #56656
                          November 28, 2007
                          511 Posts
                          Posted: October 11, 2008, 9:57 am - IP Logged

That is not true as a blanket statement.

Such a thing would only be considered by a state for certain games such as Pick 3 and Pick 4.  Not so for a lotto game like Pick 5 or Pick 6 (or a multi-state jackpot game).

Also, states that payout pari-mutuel, like California and New Jersey, do not have that issue.  The numbers don't "run out" because the payouts are always adjusted based on the number of tickets sold for the winning combination.

Yes, I was referring to P3 and P4 and am remiss that I did not make that clear.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                            San Angelo, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #1097
                            January 31, 2003
                            1394 Posts
                            Posted: October 11, 2008, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about other states, but this is how it works in Texas.
                            The lottery is conducted by GTECH. They are well paid for their services.

All of the lottery terminals in the state are connected via satellite or hard line, to a central computer operations hub
                            located near Austin, Texas.

The terminals are NOT random number generators. They are fancy machines that can perform all the actions required to facilitate on-line games and scratch card lottery operations.

When a customer wants to buy one or more quick picks for a particular on-line game, the store clerk hits the required buttons on his machine.
                            The request is transmitted at light speed to a random number generator at Austin where the desired number of combinations are generated and returned to the requesting terminal along with the bar codes and other data.

Players who want to select their own numbers must fill out a play slip. The numbers are read by the terminal machines and forwarded, at light speed, to the central computer. A ticket showing the selected combinations is subsequently printed out by the terminal machine when received from the GTECH computer.

The quick pick and player selected combinations are stored at the GTECH computer and later used to control prize payouts.

The lottery commission engaged in discussion about the GTECH RNG several years ago. The question under investigation was whether or not the combinations put out by the RNG were truly random. After hearing from a number of experts, the commission decided everything was OK and took no action.

One player complaint that made the news was a situation where a player received the exact same quick pick combination on the same ticket. The answer was that it can, and did, happen, but there is no way to prevent it.

Regarding prize payouts, there is nothing on the Texas Pick 3 and Pick 4 play slips indicating any kind of limitations on prizes. Apparently, they will pay whatever is required.

This is not true for the other games, which have pari-mutual prizes. Some games have guaranteed prizes - $3, $5 and $7.

As for Mega Millions, a limitation is stated on play slip - "For any drawing, if prize liability exceeds the lesser of 300% of Mega Millions sales or sales plus $50 million, then these prizes become pari-mutual."

Texas used mechanic ball machines for all games. There is no way GTECH or anyone else can know what the winning combinations are in advance.

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23277 Posts
                              Posted: October 11, 2008, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about other states, but this is how it works in Texas.
                              The lottery is conducted by GTECH. They are well paid for their services.

All of the lottery terminals in the state are connected via satellite or hard line, to a central computer operations hub
                              located near Austin, Texas.

The terminals are NOT random number generators. They are fancy machines that can perform all the actions required to facilitate on-line games and scratch card lottery operations.

When a customer wants to buy one or more quick picks for a particular on-line game, the store clerk hits the required buttons on his machine.
                              The request is transmitted at light speed to a random number generator at Austin where the desired number of combinations are generated and returned to the requesting terminal along with the bar codes and other data.

Players who want to select their own numbers must fill out a play slip. The numbers are read by the terminal machines and forwarded, at light speed, to the central computer. A ticket showing the selected combinations is subsequently printed out by the terminal machine when received from the GTECH computer.

The quick pick and player selected combinations are stored at the GTECH computer and later used to control prize payouts.

The lottery commission engaged in discussion about the GTECH RNG several years ago. The question under investigation was whether or not the combinations put out by the RNG were truly random. After hearing from a number of experts, the commission decided everything was OK and took no action.

One player complaint that made the news was a situation where a player received the exact same quick pick combination on the same ticket. The answer was that it can, and did, happen, but there is no way to prevent it.

Regarding prize payouts, there is nothing on the Texas Pick 3 and Pick 4 play slips indicating any kind of limitations on prizes. Apparently, they will pay whatever is required.

This is not true for the other games, which have pari-mutual prizes. Some games have guaranteed prizes - $3, $5 and $7.

As for Mega Millions, a limitation is stated on play slip - "For any drawing, if prize liability exceeds the lesser of 300% of Mega Millions sales or sales plus $50 million, then these prizes become pari-mutual."

Texas used mechanic ball machines for all games. There is no way GTECH or anyone else can know what the winning combinations are in advance.

I do not believe that is correct about the Quick Picks being generated centrally.

From the Texas Lottery Web site:

How does Quick Pick work?

By marking the appropriate box on your playslip, or by telling the clerk you want to use Quick Pick, the lottery terminal will automatically select numbers for you. The Quick Pick random number generator for our on-line games has no built-in memory. Once a set of numbers is picked in one play, the random number process starts fresh for the next play. The fact that a number is picked in one play has no influence on the chances of it getting picked in following plays. Each set of numbers generated by the Quick Pick feature is unrelated to any other Quick Pick selection. This means that one or more numbers, or even the same set of numbers, can be chosen by the Quick Pick option on more than one play. If the random number generator was restricted to producing each set of numbers only once, the system would not be completely random.

That in itself is certainly not conclusive either way, but I did read GTECH materials about their lottery terminals a while back and it clearly said that the lottery machines themselves have an RNG built in to them that generates the numbers, and they are transmitted to the central computer to be recorded.

I would be interested indeed to see anything you have to offer that clearly illustrates that the Texas Lottery has a central computer that generates the random numbers.

Edit: Having an RNG is no big deal.  Every programming language (including the one that runs the terminals) has an RNG function.