Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball matrix change

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 8 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
DC81's avatar - batman39
MI
United States
Member #54830
August 31, 2007
985 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2008, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Powerball, your long shot now 33% longer!

You can't predict random.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2008, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Even with 59 WB and 39 PB the overall odd of winning something will be 1:35 which will continue to make PowerBall competitive with most state jackpot style games.  Since jackpots are seldom won, it's those small winnings that keep players coming back to try again. 

In Ohio I play MegaMillions more than I play Classic Lotto because the odds of winning something with MM (1:40) is a lot better than with CL(1:54).  The smallest prize for both games is $2.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #9579
      December 12, 2004
      2121 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2008, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

come on ya'll spend some money for education,so the kids can grow up to get laid off,at xmas time.greedy ceos will benefit,but not the pb players!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1954 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2008, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Less than a month to go. Some places already have the playslips.

Gonna win.Big Smile

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
          Raleigh
          United States
          Member #49057
          January 17, 2007
          172 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2008, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

The matrix change will occur on 1/4/2009 for the 1/7/2009 drawing.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2008, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

The matrix change will occur on 1/4/2009 for the 1/7/2009 drawing.

Not here in Delaware. I just saw the packages with the new slips and they say right on them "Do not put out until 1-07-2009". A friend works at a convenience store and he showed me the boxes of the new slips and that's what they said in BIG BOLD LETTERS on the outside of the boxes and the clear wrapping around the play slips inside!

So I'm going to take it that they will not be out anywhere Powerball is played before that date! Heck it could be that all the Powerball machines have to all upload new software in-order to read the new play slips. And that won't happen until that day when all the stores boot up the machines on the 7th for that days sales. I know here in Delaware the machines in the stores are shut off each night at 12:00 midnight and rebooted each morning at 6:00 am or when the store reopens for that day. 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3475 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Florida joins PB on 1/4, and that's when the matrix changes. The first drawing with the new matrix will be on 1/7.  If the store where your friend works isn't going to put the new play slips out until the 7th there are three possibilities. One is that the old slips will still work, but that seems unlikely since they're reducing the number of power balls. The second possibility is that the store just won't start selling tickets until the day of the drawing. That seems rather stupid. The third possibility is that starting on Sunday 1/4 their customers will want to know why the slips they're using aren't working, and if there's somebosdy smart at the store they might figure out that the slips weren't supposed to be put out until sales start for the 1/7 drawing. That will be on Sunday the 4th, even in Delaware.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: December 14, 2008, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

Florida joins PB on 1/4, and that's when the matrix changes. The first drawing with the new matrix will be on 1/7.  If the store where your friend works isn't going to put the new play slips out until the 7th there are three possibilities. One is that the old slips will still work, but that seems unlikely since they're reducing the number of power balls. The second possibility is that the store just won't start selling tickets until the day of the drawing. That seems rather stupid. The third possibility is that starting on Sunday 1/4 their customers will want to know why the slips they're using aren't working, and if there's somebosdy smart at the store they might figure out that the slips weren't supposed to be put out until sales start for the 1/7 drawing. That will be on Sunday the 4th, even in Delaware.

KY Floyd, I can only go by what I have personally seen on the packages from the lottery headquarters that are in the store where my friend works! The Big Bold Letters on the outside of the box and the clear plastic wrapping on the play slips states: "Do Not Put Out Until 1-07-2009".

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                  CT
                  United States
                  Member #61398
                  May 21, 2008
                  781 Posts
                  Posted: December 15, 2008, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Get a picture of the 'Do not put out until 1/07' and post it!

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3475 Posts
                    Posted: December 15, 2008, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I've got no problem believing there are packages that say that, but it should be obvious that it's wrong. I find it hard to believe that the lottery would screw it up, but it's entirely possible somebody at the store wrote it when the packages came in. Regardless of who's responsible for what it says, though, it's not hard to figure out that it's wrong. Even if every other piece of information we've seen about when the change happens is wrong, 1/7 is a drawing date, so that can't possibly be the day the slips are supposed to go out. They obviously go out when sales using the new matrix start.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                      Member #32537
                      February 12, 2006
                      698 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2008, 11:08 am - IP Logged

atfer  the last old matrix draw, 1/3

the new play slips come out for the next drawing on that day 1/4 for the 1/7 draw of the new matrix

the new play slips shouldn't  be issued to atfer 1/3 draw

, the computor wont take them anyways to  atfer the 1/3 draw

, so whats the point in getting worked up seeing them ahead of time

their nonething  to worry about if the play slips are out now,

their useless!

to atfer the last draw for this matrix thats 1/3

then the old playslips are useless , and the new ones HAVE TO BE USED

they work and the computors will take them. on 1/4 they be out for sell

then our first draw is 1/7

i hope for new jb records!

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                        Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #416
                        June 23, 2002
                        1614 Posts
                        Posted: December 18, 2008, 12:44 am - IP Logged

The addition of the 4 white balls causes a big change in the odds of matching 3 or 4 or 5 white balls.  The odds of winning the 5 of 5 prize are going to jump to more than 1 in 5million.  And they are keeping the prize at $200,000?  I know the power play prize on the 5 of 5 is pretty nice but still.  And the odds of matching the 3 and 4 are going to be a lot higher as well and their not changing any of the prizes?  Kind of odd if you ask me.

Brad

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2008, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Have you seen the Florida Lottery home page?  There is a second-by-second countdown to Powerball.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: December 19, 2008, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

KY Floyd, I can only go by what I have personally seen on the packages from the lottery headquarters that are in the store where my friend works! The Big Bold Letters on the outside of the box and the clear plastic wrapping on the play slips states: "Do Not Put Out Until 1-07-2009".

That doesn't make sense.  Sat Jan 3 is the last drawing, so Sunday Jan 4 people will begin buying tickets for the Wed evening game.   I doubt if PB would want to lose all the business they get on Sun, Mon & Tues.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5124 Posts
                              Posted: December 20, 2008, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

power^for Power-Ball !!!!!

1 in 196,000,000 >>>>>!

That-won will take a lotta

CHANGE 2 WIN a Jackpot!

lol>>>>2009>>>>>>>!

psykomo