Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a jackpot, how mcuh would you give to your parents?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 8 years ago by myturn08.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #58386
February 12, 2008
287 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2008, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Say you won a 40 million dollar annuity jackpot.  If you could split the money, how much would you give to your parents?

Does the lottery commissions even allow splitting the prize? 

Republic of Texas
    United States
    Member #57557
    January 9, 2008
    1095 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2008, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if I would split the jackpot, but I would offer to pay medical expenses, property taxes (no mortgage), buy groceries, etc.  Same thing with my grown kids. I'm not sure how to avoid the gift tax this way, but I think it would take longer to reach that max before it kicks in if you do it this way. I also think certain expenses are exempt from the gift tax - like medical expenses and college tuition.

As to splitting jackpots, I think you have to have something in writing before the jackpot hits before they consider it something other than a gift. I already have a living trust, so I would claim it in the trust name and see how my advisors would best help minimize taxes.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Northern Ohio
      United States
      Member #63551
      August 1, 2008
      203 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2008, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Well let's make it fun and consider this MegaMillions drawing: $128M. In Ohio, I'd actually see just about $50M even after the cash buyout and taxes.

I'd use about $1M to buy myself a new house and property, and pay off the mortgages of my parents and both grandparents. I'd pay off the rest of the debt of my parents, grandparents and sister. I'd buy all seven of them a car.

My parents don't need or want a new house because they just  built their dream home last year. My grandparents are old and have no interest in moving at this age, but if they did want to, I'd pay for new houses. My sister does not need nor want a house at this stage in her life but when she's done with her job/school situation she will get a new house. This can all be done for about $1-1.5M.

The rest of the money becomes principle.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2008, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Say you won a 40 million dollar annuity jackpot.  If you could split the money, how much would you give to your parents?

Does the lottery commissions even allow splitting the prize? 

It all depends how much I win, but whatever the size 15 million or 200 million, I plan on taking care of my mother. She will be able to retire, travel, buy what she needs or wants. I want her to be taken care of for the rest of her life. That's what I've always wanted to do and will do if I win a big jackpot one of these days.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

DC81's avatar - batman39
          MI
          United States
          Member #54830
          August 31, 2007
          985 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2008, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Something reasonable along the lines of paying off debt with some money left over, as well as a house. If I were to give a cash gift, it would be something annual but it would not be anywhere close six figures and likely just up to the exception but maybe more but I would not want to become anyone's piggy bank that bails out family left and right, even for my own mother.. I think the worst thing you could do is give someone a lot more money than they're accustomed and can handle, keep that "burden" on yourself.

I could just see the thought process now consisting of "oh I can't afford this but I'll get it anyway because _____ will take care of it for me."

You can't predict random.

mymonthlypicks's avatar - spider
            Virginia Beach,Va
            United States
            Member #65378
            September 25, 2008
            1180 Posts
            Posted: December 2, 2008, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if I would split the jackpot, but I would offer to pay medical expenses, property taxes (no mortgage), buy groceries, etc.  Same thing with my grown kids. I'm not sure how to avoid the gift tax this way, but I think it would take longer to reach that max before it kicks in if you do it this way. I also think certain expenses are exempt from the gift tax - like medical expenses and college tuition.

As to splitting jackpots, I think you have to have something in writing before the jackpot hits before they consider it something other than a gift. I already have a living trust, so I would claim it in the trust name and see how my advisors would best help minimize taxes.

I believe if I clam the tickets together, lets say 4 ways Myself. wife, and my 2 Daughters then the taxes is taken out up front still may a little taxes at year end. then I won't have to worried about gift tax after my passing. I would hate to see them taking away most of the money from my Daughters because of my passing and would rather let them enjoy the money while I'm here on earth

If OBAMA'S The ANSWER

How STUPID was the QUESTION?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1954 Posts
              Posted: December 2, 2008, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Probably along the lines of $1.5 million.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: December 2, 2008, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Not a penny for either of them.But if they were still living I'd buy them whatever their hearts desired.

And I wouldn't take an annuity.The cash option makes more sense at my age.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                  MICHIGAN
                  United States
                  Member #65282
                  September 22, 2008
                  1992 Posts
                  Posted: December 2, 2008, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Being that both my parents have gone on to greener pastures, and

all my siblings have gone on to join them.  The jackpot would b

btw me and my better half.  I would give the grown-up brats

something for their nest egg.  And move out of state.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                    Member #4121
                    March 23, 2004
                    817 Posts
                    Posted: December 2, 2008, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

My parents don't believe in the lottery.  They say if I ever be so lucky to win one, they didn't want to be apart of it.  My whole family doesn't play.   I'm the only one that do play but also the poorest. lol.  I guess my answer to this question would be zero right now, but keeping an open mind.  Smile

Set4life's avatar - 2554
                      East Hampton, NY
                      United States
                      Member #41995
                      June 25, 2006
                      1137 Posts
                      Posted: December 2, 2008, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I would probably give them half,  makes me happy and makes them more happy lol. 

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

Litebets27's avatar - power
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #10465
                        January 14, 2005
                        6065 Posts
                        Posted: December 2, 2008, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

My parents are no longer living. But I'd think of your question in these terms.

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU WANT THEM TO GIVE YOU IF THEY WERE TO WIN AND YOU DIDN'T?

Then, that's how much you should give them.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10354 Posts
                          Posted: December 2, 2008, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

People have great intentions with fantasies of winning jackpots and giving away part of them, but thye must really look into this kind of thing before they make a move.

You may want to give away over a million, but if you find out it may cost you anywhere from $50,000 to $200,000 to do so you may have second thoughts.

In the book Infinite Financial Freedom:  What to do Before and after You Hit the Lottery, the author, Bob Sanford, give examples of one winner who just gave money away, and another who set up a trust for someone they wanted to give money to.

The recipient of the trust recieved a lot more money in the long run.

Also, on one of the Loto Changed My Life documentaries, one of the jackpot winners said he gave several people a million dollars each- and every one of them blew it all and came asking for more. Just something to keep in mind.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                            Dallas, TX
                            United States
                            Member #60284
                            April 12, 2008
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: December 2, 2008, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

30%

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                              Nova Scotia
                              Canada
                              Member #9934
                              December 27, 2004
                              884 Posts
                              Posted: December 2, 2008, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

My mother (my adoptive mother) and I fight like cats and dogs, so I wouldn't give her a huge amount.. Some to pay her bills and take a vacation, that's about it..

Frankly, I want to go on a vacation now, because I am stressed out, so I'd do that and buy a house..

And make some needed changes to my life, pronto!Coffee