Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a jackpot, how mcuh would you give to your parents?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 8 years ago by myturn08.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
Idaho
United States
Member #56506
November 21, 2007
6537 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2008, 12:49 am - IP Logged

What ever my daddy needed, no questions asked..!

Once I have collected he would be set....

Same for me when it comes to my mom. Lovies

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2008, 1:44 am - IP Logged

RE:  The $12,000 people keep mentioning

The annual exclusion (which will be $13,000 in January) only applies to the IRS requirement for reporting purposes.

In other words, if you exceed the annual exclusion of $13,000 (per person) you have to file a federal income tax form reporting the gift amount.  However, unless you exceed a total of $1M in your lifetime, you are not subject to gift tax.

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2008, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

that depends how much i win...If i win 50 million half will be evenly distributed between my parents and my uncles...If i win less than 50 million then they will get like 20% to 25%...If i in win for life, they will get their house paid...This is why everytime i play win for life i play it 3 times the same number

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2008, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

that depends how much i win...If i win 50 million half will be evenly distributed between my parents and my uncles...If i win less than 50 million then they will get like 20% to 25%...If i in win for life, they will get their house paid...This is why everytime i play win for life i play it 3 times the same number

And again, unless you already have the deal in place, especially in writing with a date and notarized, you could likely be setting yourself up for some serious tax problems. It sounds good to say that I'm sure, but you gotta consider the outcome of doing so. Taxes aside, you need to think of what the impact that will be on their lives, certainly there will be positives but there could very possibly be negatives that go along with it..

You can't predict random.

DC81's avatar - batman39
          MI
          United States
          Member #54830
          August 31, 2007
          985 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2008, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

RE:  The $12,000 people keep mentioning

The annual exclusion (which will be $13,000 in January) only applies to the IRS requirement for reporting purposes.

In other words, if you exceed the annual exclusion of $13,000 (per person) you have to file a federal income tax form reporting the gift amount.  However, unless you exceed a total of $1M in your lifetime, you are not subject to gift tax.

Oh, so it is going to go up to $13,000? Good to know! Thumbs Up Last I read it was going to stay at 12.

You can't predict random.

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2008, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

this may be off subject, but i've been saying this...The USA needs more than 1 Multimillion dollar lottery...It needs several...Megamillions/powerball is the only thing Americans got...THE ONLY THING....If i could win MegaMillions/Powerball i don't know really if i will want to because is the only multimillion dollar lottery in America, is the only thing Americans got...There needs to be more...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2008, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

$13,000 allowance plus free food and a nice warm place to stay.

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2008, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

this may be off subject, but i've been saying this...The USA needs more than 1 Multimillion dollar lottery...It needs several...Megamillions/powerball is the only thing Americans got...THE ONLY THING....If i could win MegaMillions/Powerball i don't know really if i will want to because is the only multimillion dollar lottery in America, is the only thing Americans got...There needs to be more...

Several states have their own multi-million dollar lotterys.Powerball & Mega Million are just  two of the multi-state lotterys.Hot Lotto is another multi-state lottery,it starts at a million dollars.

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2008, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Several states have their own multi-million dollar lotterys.Powerball & Mega Million are just  two of the multi-state lotterys.Hot Lotto is another multi-state lottery,it starts at a million dollars.

Yeah i know but i am talking about lotteries that pay 25 million or 50 million and up....There is none...There needs to be several lotteries that pay 70 million and up....Megamillions/Powerball is the only lottey Americans got and what's worse is shared between like 20 states...America needs to evolve when it comes to 50 million + dollar lotteries...

Every state should have at LEAST Four 50 million dollars plus lotteries....

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                    CT
                    United States
                    Member #61398
                    May 21, 2008
                    781 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2008, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Every state should have at LEAST Four 50 million dollars plus lotteries....

Considering we only have 2 in the country (if you don't count anything other than PB and MM), you're talking about adding 198 different huge lotteries. Do you think you can find 198 TIMES the amount of people who currently play now, to start buying tickets? Nope. The only other option would be to make each ticket $198 instead of $1, and everyone would have to continue to purchase the same amount of tickets to fund the lotteries.  This would make our lottery pool cost $990.00 per week for each member instead of the current $5 buy-in, and we'd still get the same amount of tickets (40).

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5142 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2008, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Say you won a 40 million dollar annuity jackpot.  If you could split the money, how much would you give to your parents?

Does the lottery commissions even allow splitting the prize? 

GREAT??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

IF????IWIN????IN????2009-20010-2011 0R 2012>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!

I'm!!!GIVING!!!:

25% 2 O'bama

25% 2 HILLcare

PLUS (what's LEFT???????AFTER??????????TAXES??????2D PUR PEOPLE!!!!

50% 2 all D Poor "50%"!

psykomo LUV's D "POUR"!

we democrat's dodo "2"

"we" LOVE d PUR so MUNCH it hurt's all us

democrat's 2 see UR still "pour" geesUS????

what is UR excuse 4 all these YEAR'$$$$$$$

"CUM" visit O'Bama & Hill>>2009>>UR jpot.

White BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite Bounce

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
                        Katy, Tx
                        United States
                        Member #67709
                        December 3, 2008
                        204 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2008, 1:24 am - IP Logged

I would certainly help my Mother if I were lucky enough to Win that amount !!  No matter how much I won I would love to help others.  Smiley Santa

Lots of Luck to all for the Holidays.

Texas Joey

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                          Portland,Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #14387
                          April 25, 2005
                          229 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2008, 1:56 am - IP Logged

I would love to be able to give money to Mom, Dad and StepMom ... however they have all go on to greater rewards so no longer have need of early treasure. But I will share with my brothers, son, and several close friends by giving them a piece of the jackpot - not equal shares with me ... but a nice sized chunk for themselves.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                            Hard Luck, Ak
                            United States
                            Member #23472
                            October 13, 2005
                            279 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2008, 3:00 am - IP Logged

My father passed away about four years ago and left my mother off pretty good financally.  But If I was lucky enough to win a nice size jackpot I would give her 100,000.00 and pay off her mortgage. My kids and their mother would be set up finacially, then I would donate money to the church and give away about 500,000.00 to family and friends. The rest I would invest in relatively safe investments and do some things that I enjoy doing.       

Dance         

Kennesaw, GA
                              United States
                              Member #62138
                              June 18, 2008
                              1414 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2008, 11:38 am - IP Logged

My parents don't believe in the lottery.  They say if I ever be so lucky to win one, they didn't want to be apart of it.  My whole family doesn't play.   I'm the only one that do play but also the poorest. lol.  I guess my answer to this question would be zero right now, but keeping an open mind.  Smile

same here, my parents dont believe in the lottery either, so i doubt that i would give them any of my winnings out of respect..i would just get a partime job and use that money to help them ;-)