Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Syndicates

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 8 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you were offered a spot on a lotto syndicate, would you join ?

Yes [ 6 ]  [16.22%]
No [ 23 ]  [62.16%]
Undecided [ 2 ]  [5.41%]
Depends on how much a week [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Depends on who's running it [ 2 ]  [5.41%]
Syndicate ?!? what's that ?!? [ 3 ]  [8.11%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
Just outside of Cleveland, OH
United States
Member #54079
August 3, 2007
106 Posts
Posted: December 30, 2008, 7:05 am - IP Logged

No,I've never read anywhere of a syndicate winning a jackpot and yet all of them claim to give their members a big advantage not only with their strategies but with the number of combinations they play.  In my opinion they are just a bunch of slick crooks taking gullible people money.

If I wanted to play as part of a group, I would join a local lottery pool with people that I know and trust.  I've read about several pools of coworkers, friends and family members winning a jackpot.

I Agree!I Agree! I Agree! I Agree! I Agree! I Agree!

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    United States
    Member #5128
    June 18, 2004
    377 Posts
    Posted: December 30, 2008, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Although some lottery players are comfortable playing in pools, I, on the other hand, want to play alone. Anyway, my company will not allow employee lottery pools.

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

San Diego, CA
      United States
      Member #58386
      February 12, 2008
      287 Posts
      Posted: December 30, 2008, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

NEVER!

Canada
        Member #68663
        December 27, 2008
        260 Posts
        Posted: December 31, 2008, 12:45 am - IP Logged

No,I've never read anywhere of a syndicate winning a jackpot and yet all of them claim to give their members a big advantage not only with their strategies but with the number of combinations they play.  In my opinion they are just a bunch of slick crooks taking gullible people money.

If I wanted to play as part of a group, I would join a local lottery pool with people that I know and trust.  I've read about several pools of coworkers, friends and family members winning a jackpot.

There have been several examples where a syndicate won a jackpot. It seems to happen almost every month. I join as many syndicates and pools as I can.

Based on your response though, I think you differentiate between syndicates and pools. I consider them the same thing.

Maybe you define syndicates as commercial pools. That is, pools that directly profit from each member that joins.  I definitely recommend against joining commercial pools. A lottery pool is so easy to set up, there is no need to pay someone to administer one.

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          699 Posts
          Posted: December 31, 2008, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

There have been several examples where a syndicate won a jackpot. It seems to happen almost every month. I join as many syndicates and pools as I can.

Based on your response though, I think you differentiate between syndicates and pools. I consider them the same thing.

Maybe you define syndicates as commercial pools. That is, pools that directly profit from each member that joins.  I definitely recommend against joining commercial pools. A lottery pool is so easy to set up, there is no need to pay someone to administer one.

Many pools have one lottery jackpots.  Some groups who have played together for many years have won.  I'm hoping the pool I run, which started with just me and a person I shared my office with, and grew to include 10 people, will be among those winners.  We keep buying Powerball and Lotto tickets hoping for the big win.  All money won in our pool benefits the members in some way, usually by buying more tickets.  I offer to distribute the money back, but they want more tickets instead so that is what I do.

I would never join a commercial lottery group, not sure I trust any of them.  If someone wants to be in a group, it's best to play with people they know, and have some firm rules ahead of time on what will be done.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: January 1, 2009, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Someone needs to define 'Syndicate'  vs.  'Pool'.

Canada
              Member #68663
              December 27, 2008
              260 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2009, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Someone needs to define 'Syndicate'  vs.  'Pool'.

A lottery syndicate is identical to a lottery pool and is identical to a lottery group. Three words for the same thing.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: January 2, 2009, 2:40 am - IP Logged

In the U.S., lottery pools are usually groups of friends, family members or co-workers who pool their monies to buy lottery tickets.  Everyone in the pool including the person running the pool must contribute and share the winning equally.  Usually in a pool every participant has a say about the amount every one contributes and how the numbers played are picked.

Lottery syndicates in the U.S. that I've read about are businesses that buy lottery tickets and uses a pooling scheme that allows anyone to participate for a fee.  They give the appearance of being a regular lottery pool but when you read the fine print, you learn they provide a pooling service for which they charge a fee and they may also share the winnings if any. The participants have no say about the way the pool works or who's in it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: January 2, 2009, 3:25 am - IP Logged

Although some lottery players are comfortable playing in pools, I, on the other hand, want to play alone. Anyway, my company will not allow employee lottery pools.

Generally, your company has no authority to prevent employees from forming a lottery pool or engaging in any other legal activity. Their authority is limited to requiring that you use company time and company equipment only for company work.