Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

From Riches To Rags

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 8 years ago by dingo.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
Raleigh
United States
Member #49057
January 17, 2007
172 Posts
Posted: December 23, 2008, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I'm with you on your other comment, but this one I'm not so sure about.  Historically, there is certainly no evidence to show this kind of thing works.  I guess we'll all find out if the joke's on us.

The joke is already on us, and our kids, and their kids, as we all try to pay off the trillions of dollars in debt this country has run up in the last 25 years.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
    MICHIGAN
    United States
    Member #65282
    September 22, 2008
    1992 Posts
    Posted: December 25, 2008, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

You have to b very careful about investing your money these days.

People have vey creative ways of scamming you out of your $$$$. GREED

plays a very key role in all that, if its look or sounds to good to true it

proably is.

wyoming, michigan
      United States
      Member #53058
      June 22, 2007
      637 Posts
      Posted: December 25, 2008, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

Probably off the subject but we have 2 gas stations in Grand Rapids Mi with gas priced at $1.06 per gallon.  God bless and good luck.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: December 25, 2008, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

There's already been a suicidedirectly related to this scheme.

By the way, for years I've read comments by people who assume only wealthy people make investments, which isn't true.  If you save a portion of your income every year in a 401K or IRA, after 30 or 40 years you can wind up with a very sizeable amount of money.  There are plenty of middleclass people who venture in the market, commodities and other types of investments. 

I don't see why losing your home or having your car repossessed when you are broke and out of a job or being a flood victim is any different from the wealthy who lost their life savings.  IMHO it's not the amount of money you lose, but what it means to you and the devastating effect if has on your life.  I mean, if all you have is $800 in the bank and need it for rent, and then someone steals it, that would be just as horrible.

sfilippo's avatar - skull
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #33770
          February 24, 2006
          3146 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2008, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I tried stocks and commodities for around ten years. I finally learned my lesson that if you aren't on the trading floor, you are blind to what's going on.

Floor traders skim off of investors. They are able to ride the momentum of a large trade because they actually see it about to take place.

If I know that one million shares is about to be bought or sold in a particular stock, I can either get in or get out prior to that trade being made, and ride up or down on the momentum for a profit.

Even right now, as bad as things are, those floor traders are doing just fine. As long as there is volatility in the markets, they will rake in the cash for themselves.

Smiley Steve

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
            Albuquerque, New Mexico
            United States
            Member #5128
            June 18, 2004
            377 Posts
            Posted: December 30, 2008, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

greengrad, I love your analysis, regarding the next generation's financial bailout: kids and grand kids paying the debt for the executives' inept critical thinking skills, along with their avarice and hubris.

It appears that hubris will be the executives' downfall. Unfortunately, the living contributors to the economy will be swallowed up and consumed by the vultures.

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

Baton Rouge, LA
              United States
              Member #4602
              May 7, 2004
              699 Posts
              Posted: December 31, 2008, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

good post gren.  one of my friends got involved with one of those scam loans from a fed bank.  He ended up getting to keep a 500k house and 250k in the bank with nothing to owe.    after finding out how this worked, i no longer look upto people with lots of money.  it's not what you know, it's who you know. 

Where do I find a deal like that?  My problem is I bought a house I could afford and have had no trouble paying my mortgage.  It's a modest house in a middle class neighborhood, nothing fancy, it wasn't even new.  I guess because I did the right, responsible thing, I'm out of luck.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                San Jose, California
                United States
                Member #42003
                June 26, 2006
                206 Posts
                Posted: January 1, 2009, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Now the goverment should create a new form of anti-trust laws to break down big corporations. These big boogies only hoard in money and keep cutting jobs. All they want are buyers; they can create tons of robots to produce merchandise and sell to the average men. Break them down, so we can create more small businesses; then more people will have jobs.

The current economy is the consequence of corruption in high executive levels and extremely efficient use to technology in production (robots replace men). We need to fragment the economy into many small segments to create more small businesses. An fairly efficient economy is the key to keep the money following in our economy.

Be aware folks! Wal-Mart, Target, Costco and many similiar corporations will enslave us all.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: January 1, 2009, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

Why bother breaking them up into smaller companies?  Why not just make it illegal to improve efficiency? Let's  eliminate the use of electricity in factories, so all of the unemployed water wheel technicians can find jobs again.  We can eliminate big trucks and require that all goods are transported by wheelbarrow, and increase teamster jobs by well over 10,000%. We can easily create a job for everyone who wants one. I don't know about you, but I'd love for a box of cereal to cost $25.

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                    San Jose, California
                    United States
                    Member #42003
                    June 26, 2006
                    206 Posts
                    Posted: January 2, 2009, 1:44 am - IP Logged

Why bother breaking them up into smaller companies?  Why not just make it illegal to improve efficiency? Let's  eliminate the use of electricity in factories, so all of the unemployed water wheel technicians can find jobs again.  We can eliminate big trucks and require that all goods are transported by wheelbarrow, and increase teamster jobs by well over 10,000%. We can easily create a job for everyone who wants one. I don't know about you, but I'd love for a box of cereal to cost $25.

If food cost more, people will eat less; this means that obesity and heart disease will be reduced dramatically. That's a good effect. However, I dont know what will happen to gasoline price. May be it will go through the roof; then, people will switch to public transportation. Hence, we can have a cleaner air to breath. Thereupon, we expose less to lung cancer risk. Big Grin 

The world is in chaotic state now.Crazy Let it operates on autopilot.