Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The economy is scaring me...

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 8 years ago by mymonthlypicks.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Michigan
United States
Member #59293
March 12, 2008
121 Posts
Posted: December 20, 2008, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

I will stop playing the lottery because of the economy. Whats the point of throwing money away where are some people right now with no homes and jobs because of the economy? I was spending about 30 dollers a week right now i am convinced i will STOP PLAYING completely. I am tired of giving my money away.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: December 20, 2008, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Hope the economy kicks back in for 2009.

While you have stopped playing your interest may still be there. Which game are you play when you played? For smaller games like pick 3 or 4 try to see if you can come up with a system/method to win money.

Michigan
      United States
      Member #59293
      March 12, 2008
      121 Posts
      Posted: December 20, 2008, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

I play mostly pick 3 i been playing for about 2 years with rare succes. i remember winning only 2 times $83 dollers each box bets. I agree my interest will still be there but hanging on to your money is better tha spending it in this weak economy.

Honestly everyday i wake up and i wonder if were're still gonna have our house next month its scary i mean we can afford to pay the payments but can we do it forever till the house is payed off. damn too much stress. one ciggeratte will solve the problem LOL

Northern Ohio
        United States
        Member #63551
        August 1, 2008
        203 Posts
        Posted: December 21, 2008, 11:14 am - IP Logged

I still play, but not until the jackpot hits $50 Mil. Not because I'm greedy, but because it limits the number of times I play since the average JP is between 50-100 mil.

I spend $10 a week once it hits 50, and if it goes over 100 I spend $20 a week. If it hits 250 somehow, I will spend what I see fit, if I have some good numbers in mind.

As for the economy, most projections predict us in the doldrums of this recession through all of 2009. However, by about this time next year we should have the first quarter of positive growth. Hopefully that would carry over to 2010, as 2 straight quarters of growth are required to term a recession "over".

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: December 21, 2008, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I will stop playing the lottery because of the economy. Whats the point of throwing money away where are some people right now with no homes and jobs because of the economy? I was spending about 30 dollers a week right now i am convinced i will STOP PLAYING completely. I am tired of giving my money away.

I'm not going to quit. I have money set aside that I use to play with. Throwing a couple dollars at a jackpot with a chance to win something big is worth it too me. No one says you have to spend 30 dollars a week. Try spending 2-5 a draw/week instead.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: December 21, 2008, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

I'm not going to quit. I have money set aside that I use to play with. Throwing a couple dollars at a jackpot with a chance to win something big is worth it too me. No one says you have to spend 30 dollars a week. Try spending 2-5 a draw/week instead.

On the one hand, I agree that it's a waste of money.  However, I also enjoy playing and will continue to blow money on Lotto & Fantasy 5.

I think it's a good idea to quit if you can just walk away with no regrets.  Most of us have some bad habits, and since I don't smoke and I occasionally buy that $2.97 bottle of merlot at Wal-Mart (actually, that's pretty good stuff!) the lottery is one of mine.

United States
              Member #68002
              December 10, 2008
              477 Posts
              Posted: December 21, 2008, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Playing the Lottery games is not a waste of money if you play them intelligentlty

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: December 21, 2008, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Nothing wrong with the economy..Congress just voted themselves over a 4000.00 raise for each of them starting in 2009 so there's nothing wrong with the economy..Buy lots of lottery ticket's everything is fine and dandy..........

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                  Member #60535
                  April 21, 2008
                  460 Posts
                  Posted: December 21, 2008, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

On the one hand, I agree that it's a waste of money.  However, I also enjoy playing and will continue to blow money on Lotto & Fantasy 5.

I think it's a good idea to quit if you can just walk away with no regrets.  Most of us have some bad habits, and since I don't smoke and I occasionally buy that $2.97 bottle of merlot at Wal-Mart (actually, that's pretty good stuff!) the lottery is one of mine.

I agree 100%.  I do not drink or smoke either, I don't go to or rent movies...I work from home so the only gas I use is to drive to florida to get lottery tickets!  I do it as a source of entertainment and I'm not stopping my usual number plays.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23261 Posts
                    Posted: December 21, 2008, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Nothing wrong with the economy..Congress just voted themselves over a 4000.00 raise for each of them starting in 2009 so there's nothing wrong with the economy..Buy lots of lottery ticket's everything is fine and dandy..........

I Agree!  Good catch!  Doesn't that just say it all?

Congress giving itself a raise during "the worst economy since the Great Depression"?

I hope people get as outraged about this as they do about Paris Hilton's house getting robbed.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: December 21, 2008, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I think the problem is that they didn't vote to stop the pay raise.  The way it is set up AFAIK is that the increase is an automatic cost of living bump, and the only way to stop it is to vote to freeze it.    

When I used to get a bonus or pay increase, I had to go through a long review.  I would set goals every year and then, at the end of the year, I'd have to prove I met or exceeded them.  Obviously, the folks in Washington haven't met or exceeded their goals (both Republicans & Democrats)

Thank goodness gas prices are down, so that helps pay for my lottery tickets.  I wish the Florida Raffle tickets would sell out already, because I'm tempted to buy another one.  LOL  But the fact that since Nov 14th 1 million tickets haven't sold out shows you that people aren't spending as much as last year when 1.5M sold out a lot faster.

Sorry - when I agreed that lottery tickets are a waste of money, I meant if you are hurting and need the money for food.  Otherwise, there are a lot worse things you can be blowing your money on and they usually end up harming you.  Unless someone has a gambling problem, there's usually no harm or long term effect and you can end up being a millionaire.

United States
                        Member #61296
                        May 17, 2008
                        187 Posts
                        Posted: December 21, 2008, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Agreed. Job market is a mess, but I keep playing cuz im a degenerate. Just cut out other expenses like no dunkin donuts coffee, bring lunch to work, drink water instead of buying sodas; u know the little stuff. And then take the xtra $5 or $10 bucks and play jackpot game$!! Forget pick 3 or pick 4; Id rather bet sports than trying to figure out how to win a couple hundred/ thousand in those games.

autoprt's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                          Member #39356
                          May 14, 2006
                          44 Posts
                          Posted: December 21, 2008, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

if you are going to play, if you have a state with a fantasy 5 game where you pick 5 numbers from 1-39 you have pretty good odds to win even if its 3 of 5 or 4 or 5 which i hit consistently because I combinate hot and cold numbers.

I used to play Keno but have given it up because the game has suddenly stopped paying out in GA so I have moved the money into fantasy 5. I hope to hit before the year is out, prizes run from on average $45K and i've seen as high as $800K.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3103 Posts
                            Posted: December 22, 2008, 1:15 am - IP Logged

The amount you spend to play needs to be in balance with your estimate of your chances of winning.  I mean, if you're really on to something you put what's necessary into it.   If you're spending $30.00 a week $120.00 a month and not winning you are way off balance.   In my opinion it would be to your benefit to limit your play to one game and no more then five or six combinations per draw played to the absolute best of your ability. 

Lottery is a game of hope.  When you stop playing a game of hope, what happens?  You tend to get depressed is what happens, feels like there is a hole in part of your life. 

That's what I think, who knows I could be right !!! BobP

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: December 22, 2008, 2:27 am - IP Logged

I think the problem is that they didn't vote to stop the pay raise.  The way it is set up AFAIK is that the increase is an automatic cost of living bump, and the only way to stop it is to vote to freeze it.    

When I used to get a bonus or pay increase, I had to go through a long review.  I would set goals every year and then, at the end of the year, I'd have to prove I met or exceeded them.  Obviously, the folks in Washington haven't met or exceeded their goals (both Republicans & Democrats)

Thank goodness gas prices are down, so that helps pay for my lottery tickets.  I wish the Florida Raffle tickets would sell out already, because I'm tempted to buy another one.  LOL  But the fact that since Nov 14th 1 million tickets haven't sold out shows you that people aren't spending as much as last year when 1.5M sold out a lot faster.

Sorry - when I agreed that lottery tickets are a waste of money, I meant if you are hurting and need the money for food.  Otherwise, there are a lot worse things you can be blowing your money on and they usually end up harming you.  Unless someone has a gambling problem, there's usually no harm or long term effect and you can end up being a millionaire.

"Obviously, the folks in Washington haven't met or exceeded their goals"

You're confused. They may not have meet or exceeded our goals, but if they're (still) in Washington they've at least met their goals.