Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The economy is scaring me...

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 8 years ago by mymonthlypicks.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
Washington *state*
United States
Member #62009
June 14, 2008
192 Posts
Posted: December 22, 2008, 2:36 am - IP Logged

I know how you feel.  Money is tight, and everytime I lose..I feel I just wasted money I could of used towards something more important.  But if I win..then I feel it was worth it.

I just spend what I can afford.  And I limit my games.  I play Mega Millions only when it hits 50M and I only play about $5 a draw.  If it goes way up like $200M I will play $10 only if I think I can afford it.  I play  Wa.Lotto when it reaches 3M, and only about $3 worth.  Hit5 when it reaches $300,000 and again, only about $3.  And finally I play Match 4 once in awhile.  I think my chances are better to win, but at $2 a play, I buy 2 lines for $4. 

Because I play this way, I'm not playing all games at the same time.  Nothing wrong with playing all your favorite games if you can afford them, but this is just how I do it to keep myself from over spending.  Right now, the MM is not $50 so I'm not playing right now.  Wa.Lotto is over $3M so I play a few dollars at draw times.  Hit5 is under $300,000 so I'm passing that up too.  Match 4 I buy on Saturdays only.  I've just decided that if I was meant to win, I'll win no matter what game I play, and on what little money I put down for the chance. 

Oh! I also save money my own way so I don't feel so guilty about playing the lotto.  Not everyone would do this, but I enjoy it.  I pack my husbands lunch, make his fancy coffee from home (No starbucks), I make a 2 week plan for homemade dinners based on sale items, and coupons I have available (I cut LOTS of coupons)...I USED to comp.  but cut back because it was a pain (might do it again lol)  Theres so many ways to save some money for your hobbie.  Even that annoying change everyone hates..you know..the change at the bottom of your purse or in your ashtray in the car......or if your like my husband, on the car floor lol.  I always find ways to save so I can enjoy one thing....my Lottery playing.

Cut back on eating out..going to movies...etc.  If anything, just play $1!  That seems to be enough for a lot of JP winners!

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: December 22, 2008, 3:18 am - IP Logged

"Obviously, the folks in Washington haven't met or exceeded their goals"

You're confused. They may not have meet or exceeded our goals, but if they're (still) in Washington they've at least met their goals.

You make a good point! 

cosmotravis's avatar - f ssr.jpg

United States
      Member #65357
      September 25, 2008
      96 Posts
      Posted: December 22, 2008, 8:47 am - IP Logged

j/e.  I actually had to google "merlot."   learned something today.

is the wine sweet or tarty?

the economy hasn't changed much here in  rural illinois.

we have a walmart d.c. as the big employer and they're still seeking help.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23267 Posts
        Posted: December 22, 2008, 8:52 am - IP Logged

I know how you feel.  Money is tight, and everytime I lose..I feel I just wasted money I could of used towards something more important.  But if I win..then I feel it was worth it.

I just spend what I can afford.  And I limit my games.  I play Mega Millions only when it hits 50M and I only play about $5 a draw.  If it goes way up like $200M I will play $10 only if I think I can afford it.  I play  Wa.Lotto when it reaches 3M, and only about $3 worth.  Hit5 when it reaches $300,000 and again, only about $3.  And finally I play Match 4 once in awhile.  I think my chances are better to win, but at $2 a play, I buy 2 lines for $4. 

Because I play this way, I'm not playing all games at the same time.  Nothing wrong with playing all your favorite games if you can afford them, but this is just how I do it to keep myself from over spending.  Right now, the MM is not $50 so I'm not playing right now.  Wa.Lotto is over $3M so I play a few dollars at draw times.  Hit5 is under $300,000 so I'm passing that up too.  Match 4 I buy on Saturdays only.  I've just decided that if I was meant to win, I'll win no matter what game I play, and on what little money I put down for the chance. 

Oh! I also save money my own way so I don't feel so guilty about playing the lotto.  Not everyone would do this, but I enjoy it.  I pack my husbands lunch, make his fancy coffee from home (No starbucks), I make a 2 week plan for homemade dinners based on sale items, and coupons I have available (I cut LOTS of coupons)...I USED to comp.  but cut back because it was a pain (might do it again lol)  Theres so many ways to save some money for your hobbie.  Even that annoying change everyone hates..you know..the change at the bottom of your purse or in your ashtray in the car......or if your like my husband, on the car floor lol.  I always find ways to save so I can enjoy one thing....my Lottery playing.

Cut back on eating out..going to movies...etc.  If anything, just play $1!  That seems to be enough for a lot of JP winners!

Great post, fantastic advice! Thumbs Up

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
          ORLANDO, FLORIDA
          United States
          Member #4924
          June 3, 2004
          5896 Posts
          Posted: December 22, 2008, 9:09 am - IP Logged

I Agree!  Good catch!  Doesn't that just say it all?

Congress giving itself a raise during "the worst economy since the Great Depression"?

I hope people get as outraged about this as they do about Paris Hilton's house getting robbed.

They won't, congress probably staged, "another watergate" to take the attention away from them????

mymonthlypicks's avatar - spider
            Virginia Beach,Va
            United States
            Member #65378
            September 25, 2008
            1180 Posts
            Posted: December 22, 2008, 9:36 am - IP Logged

I understand why people quit playing the lottery until the jackpot gets around 50 million but I can't, Back in 1984 I got out of the Navy and was unemployed in Ohio and playing 10 dollars a week and I told my wife I was going to play the lottery one Saturday and she told me I could only play one of my play slip of 5 dollars I did want to play both but she understood our budget better then me so guess what happened, The ticket I didn't play would of won the 32 million dollar jackpot in which even my Mother said I was a liar untill I pulled out my tickets from the week b4 and show them to her. So I'm a firm believer of Playing one play slip on each Drawing with the same set of numbers and never change my numbers. I now in Va and wish we had a regular lottery like a 6/49 other then the super Lottery (MM).

If OBAMA'S The ANSWER

How STUPID was the QUESTION?

United States
              Member #68002
              December 10, 2008
              477 Posts
              Posted: December 22, 2008, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Playing the Lottery games is fun and exciting especially for people who try and win using systems and strategies.As long as you don't get carried away,play beyond your financial means or get addicted your fine I play for fun and ENJOY it tremendously I don't spend a lot of money either anwywhere from $5-$20 depending on what game and I play 2 times a week.

California
                United States
                Member #61514
                May 25, 2008
                67 Posts
                Posted: December 22, 2008, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

I understand why people quit playing the lottery until the jackpot gets around 50 million but I can't, Back in 1984 I got out of the Navy and was unemployed in Ohio and playing 10 dollars a week and I told my wife I was going to play the lottery one Saturday and she told me I could only play one of my play slip of 5 dollars I did want to play both but she understood our budget better then me so guess what happened, The ticket I didn't play would of won the 32 million dollar jackpot in which even my Mother said I was a liar untill I pulled out my tickets from the week b4 and show them to her. So I'm a firm believer of Playing one play slip on each Drawing with the same set of numbers and never change my numbers. I now in Va and wish we had a regular lottery like a 6/49 other then the super Lottery (MM).

Thud That would haunt me.  I've played the same numbers for years.  What happened to you is the reason I have to play them every drawing.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                  Clarksville
                  United States
                  Member #487
                  July 15, 2002
                  17638 Posts
                  Posted: December 22, 2008, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

That would haunt me too, but I play mine..regardless.  I look at like this,,winning some money is better than NO money.  I heard of a lady who could only play PB twice a week for 1.00 (1 play on Wed and 1 on Saturday).  She won 100,000.00 off of her 1.00 "investment".  so that is why I play.  If it is FOR you, you will get it.  The amount shouldn't matter. I would be just as happy with 50,000 as with 50 million.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Virginia Beach,Va
                    United States
                    Member #65378
                    September 25, 2008
                    1180 Posts
                    Posted: December 22, 2008, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I agree and I really do think about it alot but I will even take the 2nd prize of 250,000 which I could just about get tottally out of debt

If OBAMA'S The ANSWER

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
                      Washington *state*
                      United States
                      Member #62009
                      June 14, 2008
                      192 Posts
                      Posted: December 22, 2008, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Ouch! That had to sting!  Did you have a feeling with those plays?  I'm waiting for the day when something tells me to buy..that inner voice lol.

I always wondered about playing the same numbers all the time.  Some winners of any large amount of money say they have been playing the same numbers for 2 years, 4 years, 7 years...10 years and they finally came up.  Knowing I only play when the amount is right, I never saw any reason to play the same numbers.  What if I miss winning because the MM was under 50M and I didn't play.  But now that I think about it..I guess it wouldn't hurt to spend $1 a play, 2 times a week, for under $10 a month to play the same single line.

Was your numbers your picks? OR was it a set of numbers you just choose off a qp to play over and over?  Sorry for your miss! But you never know...it could happen again to ya!

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: December 22, 2008, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

That would haunt me too, but I play mine..regardless.  I look at like this,,winning some money is better than NO money.  I heard of a lady who could only play PB twice a week for 1.00 (1 play on Wed and 1 on Saturday).  She won 100,000.00 off of her 1.00 "investment".  so that is why I play.  If it is FOR you, you will get it.  The amount shouldn't matter. I would be just as happy with 50,000 as with 50 million.

I Agree! Well said! I would love to win any amount, because really winning something is better then winning nothing.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
                          Member #9579
                          December 12, 2004
                          2121 Posts
                          Posted: December 22, 2008, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

yes,and if we lose playing the lottery,it goes for educating someone,so they are'nt laid off,and can buil our infrastructures back up,and not be laid off,and don't have to go crazy working on wallstreet.

California
                            United States
                            Member #61514
                            May 25, 2008
                            67 Posts
                            Posted: December 22, 2008, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Well said! I would love to win any amount, because really winning something is better then winning nothing.

That's the way I feel.  I'd rather spend a dollar on every draw, no matter the jackpot size, than save up to spend more money on bigger jackpots.

Edit:

I goofed.  I meant to quote Littleoldlady's post.  Though I do agree with ThatScaryChick's agreeing with Littleoldlady. Big Grin

Virginia Beach,Va
                              United States
                              Member #65378
                              September 25, 2008
                              1180 Posts
                              Posted: December 22, 2008, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

I was playing those numbers for awhile, At first they were QP which I  filled out the tickets and was playing each week, I don't remember if I had that feeling but I remember that night I watch the drawing live which I never do and havn't since.

If OBAMA'S The ANSWER