Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratching at the counter

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Kidzmom.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What do you do when interrupted?

I don't care, I just let him buy more tickets [ 9 ]  [33.33%]
I say "Get back in line" or "Wait until I finish" [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
I get angry at the clerk [ 4 ]  [14.81%]
I ask for the manager [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
I break his fingers [ 3 ]  [11.11%]
I call the police & demand he be arrested [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I call Washington & ask for a bail out [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: December 29, 2008, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I'm generally a very patient person, but I do expect people to have some manners.  We've discussed counter scratchers before, so I know I'm not the only person this happens to and my question is...what is your reaction when a person who is scratching an instant game ticket near or on the counter interrupts your lottery transaction to buy another ticket?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: December 29, 2008, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I've never had anyone interrupt me. Maybe I look intimidating or something, but no one has ever interrupted me when I am in the middle of my lottery transactions. If they did, I would tell them to wait their turn...or I would break their fingers and then tell them to wait their turn. j/k. Wink LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4053 Posts
      Posted: December 29, 2008, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

It's inconsiderate of the scratcher and bad business.  Most places won't let you scratch at the counter.  They have signs up.  Having a place to scratch and get back in line is ideal.

takeemtothebank

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: December 29, 2008, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Interesting, Tenaj.   People must have better manners in Charlotte!  The Publix closest to me often has people hanging around the counter scratching.  One man is there all the time, almost every night I go in there, and even reserves tickets.  I asked him if he lives there!  He's very friendly, but it's also a bit annoying.

I was in another Publix in North Naples last week and the woman in front of me bought a couple of tickets and began scratching on the counter to my right.  She interrupted to buy more instant game tickets while I was buying my online tickets.  It's rare that I make a big production out of such petty things, but I told her to wait until I was finished.  She said "I was here first" so I asked, when she buys a candy bar, if she expects everyone to wait in line while she eats it.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
          Charlotte NC
          United States
          Member #17406
          June 18, 2005
          4053 Posts
          Posted: December 29, 2008, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about better manners but there are signs posted "Do not scratch on counter" in most places and you must fill out a play slip.

takeemtothebank

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #4924
            June 3, 2004
            5912 Posts
            Posted: December 29, 2008, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about better manners but there are signs posted "Do not scratch on counter" in most places and you must fill out a play slip.

Scratching your tickets, while standing in a line is very rude, and I'm not afraid to remind people, regardless of their age, or for any other reason. Last wednesday, because the Lotto Jackpot was high, I stopped by the local Publix to play my numbers. When I walked up, a man was sitting in a wheel chair. I asked , one of the other people, what was the holdup? One of them stated, he was waiting for his wife to fill out a playslip. I asked the clerk, why she didn't take another person while his wife was filling out the playslip? The guy in the wheel chair said he was in line first. I got pretty PO'd and told him to move his wheel chair out of the line and when his wife was finished, she could get in the back of the line. He moved, he might not have liked it, but he moved. No person, handicapped or not should be using the handicap as a lever.Then, I told the clerk, she should have told him the same thing before I had to tell him, that was her job. The other people in line thanked me. 

United States
              Member #58528
              February 18, 2008
              710 Posts
              Posted: December 29, 2008, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Scratching your tickets, while standing in a line is very rude, and I'm not afraid to remind people, regardless of their age, or for any other reason. Last wednesday, because the Lotto Jackpot was high, I stopped by the local Publix to play my numbers. When I walked up, a man was sitting in a wheel chair. I asked , one of the other people, what was the holdup? One of them stated, he was waiting for his wife to fill out a playslip. I asked the clerk, why she didn't take another person while his wife was filling out the playslip? The guy in the wheel chair said he was in line first. I got pretty PO'd and told him to move his wheel chair out of the line and when his wife was finished, she could get in the back of the line. He moved, he might not have liked it, but he moved. No person, handicapped or not should be using the handicap as a lever.Then, I told the clerk, she should have told him the same thing before I had to tell him, that was her job. The other people in line thanked me. 

I've never seen a "no scratching" sign,but I don't think it would do any good to have one because most people wouldn't know that it was directed at them.CARBOB has the right idea.If someone is holding up the line they should be told.

Talking Rock, GA
                United States
                Member #60369
                April 15, 2008
                398 Posts
                Posted: December 29, 2008, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

When I go to the tobacco mart to "slow play" scratchers, I buy my tickets, and go to the little stand where all the playslips and stuff are at (which has room for scratching tickets and filling out playslips).  At that tobacco mart, it's just literally 2 steps away from the counter.

When I want to go back and get another ticket, if there's someone in line, I'l always go to the back of the line.  When I'm 2nd or 3rd in line and the other people have cartons of smokes they want to buy, the other person (who I believe is the owner's dad -- they're both always there when I go there) working at the counter (because they keep a separate cash drawer solely for lottery-only) will tell me or motion me to come on up (knowing I'm just going to buy another ticket and/or cash a winner and that's it) and I'll grab another ticket and/or cash a winner.  However, I always wait until he asks me to come up or motions me to come up before I do.  (I'm not the only one who they provide this "line shortcut" to.....if the guy sees someone with only cash, he'll ask if it's lottery only and, if yes, will ask that person to come up and buy their tickets just like he'd do with me.)

I don't like to scratch at the counter, though.  I like walking back and forth from the play slip table to the counter to get some sort of exercise while I'm slow playing. Razz  I did see a guy scratching at the counter on one occasion, but he wasn't impeding me in any way (he stepped aside slightly so I could buy my tickets), so I didn't raise an issue.  Plus, I try to be a patient person and just quietly and politely say "excuse me" or "pardon me" so I can get up to the counter to buy tickets.

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: December 30, 2008, 12:23 am - IP Logged

I see this more at a scratcher machine than at the counter....there's only a few  people that do this here (and all have been female!), but they definitley "bogart" thre machine....

They get their tickets, then stand right at the machines and scratch them....blocking anyone else from using the machine.

If someone blocks the counter I say, "Yo, you aren't the only one playing lotto."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: December 30, 2008, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Sorensonfan41 - your sig

I love Bob Barker!  Best host in game show history. 

Coin Toss - I've never seen a machine here.  I think all tickets are purchased at the counter in Florida, but I'm not 100% positive.

Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
                      North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #59855
                      March 29, 2008
                      31553 Posts
                      Posted: December 30, 2008, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Sorensonfan41 - your sig

I love Bob Barker!  Best host in game show history. 

Coin Toss - I've never seen a machine here.  I think all tickets are purchased at the counter in Florida, but I'm not 100% positive.

I love Bob Barker too.....I love your avatar too!...lol

I haven't ever been interrupted either that I can remember.

Talking Rock, GA
                        United States
                        Member #60369
                        April 15, 2008
                        398 Posts
                        Posted: December 30, 2008, 11:10 am - IP Logged

I see this more at a scratcher machine than at the counter....there's only a few  people that do this here (and all have been female!), but they definitley "bogart" thre machine....

They get their tickets, then stand right at the machines and scratch them....blocking anyone else from using the machine.

If someone blocks the counter I say, "Yo, you aren't the only one playing lotto."

Ok.....I'm slighly guilty of that at a vending machine, although I try to stand aside as far as I can and scratch instead of in front of the whole machine....that way they can access the bill acceptor and be able to hit whatever button they need to in order to get the game they want.  Most people just put their bills in and hit a button while I'm standing beside the machine, although a lady did ask if I could move my elbow as it was blocking only one button.....of the game she wanted ($2 Loteria).  I kindy did that without question and tried to move over even more out of the way (there was an ATM tightly scrunched in on the left side and a blood pressure checker tighthly squeezed in on the right side).

(This was at a grocery store (which sold a $500,000 Jumbo Jumbo Bucks winner a few weeks ago)......and I hate how they have their lottery set up......the counter has scratchers and where you cash 'em in and buy online games -- the scratcher vending machine is located half-way across the bloody store (and it's a big store) with no good place to scratch tickets off except on the side of the machine.)

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
                          Member #6363
                          August 20, 2004
                          4064 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2009, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Hey jxp,

Next time you go in to buy tickets take an old worthless ticket in with you. Stand in line and act like you are scratching it off and start jumping up and down getting farther from the counter and screaming I just won $5000 when you have all their attention and you have your arms up over your head accidentally let the ticket fly and start looking around for it like you can't find it. Once the horde of people start looking for it hoping to slide it into their pocket and get out quick. Walk over to the counter get your tickets and leave

Who knows, it might work. Big Grin

It really should be the clerks responsibility to make sure that does not happen. No matter how long they stand there they can do nothing unless the clerk lets them.

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2009, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

That is an excellent idea!

PartyWe can't find the scratchie!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: January 9, 2009, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

There are some scratch-in-front-of-the-lottery-machine-people in this area.  The last one I saw was a man. He lookie like a man, and he don't care about nothing or anybody that might be around, waiting to place a bet.  He don't care about others because his cultural upbringing emphasizes that the self is most important and superior above all else. No biggie.

There is another effect that takes place with scratchies, that is the cat scratch fever,  power-scratching,  hyper-scratching, whatever you want to call it.   To some people the scratcher is like a highly addictive drug.  It grabs hold of the pleasure center when you win and you want that again and again.  Of course if you don't scratch a winner the fever takes control and I've seen them go until they've run out of money, just like drugs.

Instant gratification is one of the plagues on our society today, no one can wait for outcomes or results it has to be right now, no more libraries, no more cooking from scratch, no more CHIA pets, no more learning to play an instrument..................on and on.  Scratchies are instant gratification and people want it now.