Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratching at the counter

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Kidzmom.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What do you do when interrupted?

I don't care, I just let him buy more tickets [ 9 ]  [33.33%]
I say "Get back in line" or "Wait until I finish" [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
I get angry at the clerk [ 4 ]  [14.81%]
I ask for the manager [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
I break his fingers [ 3 ]  [11.11%]
I call the police & demand he be arrested [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I call Washington & ask for a bail out [ 5 ]  [18.52%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Texas
United States
Member #55889
October 23, 2007
5611 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2009, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

There are some scratch-in-front-of-the-lottery-machine-people in this area.  The last one I saw was a man. He lookie like a man, and he don't care about nothing or anybody that might be around, waiting to place a bet.  He don't care about others because his cultural upbringing emphasizes that the self is most important and superior above all else. No biggie.

There is another effect that takes place with scratchies, that is the cat scratch fever,  power-scratching,  hyper-scratching, whatever you want to call it.   To some people the scratcher is like a highly addictive drug.  It grabs hold of the pleasure center when you win and you want that again and again.  Of course if you don't scratch a winner the fever takes control and I've seen them go until they've run out of money, just like drugs.

Instant gratification is one of the plagues on our society today, no one can wait for outcomes or results it has to be right now, no more libraries, no more cooking from scratch, no more CHIA pets, no more learning to play an instrument..................on and on.  Scratchies are instant gratification and people want it now.

You are exactly correct. Personally, I think that is why I hardly ever play scratchers. As strange as it sounds, I actually like the wait and anticipation of the lottery drawings. I play Tx 2 Step, Tx Lotto, and Mega Millions, and when I buy my ticket I like the anticipation of the drawing and whether I won anything or not.

I wonder if younger people play scratchers more, or if older people do. Probably no way to really know, but I imagine that the younger generation thrives on the instant gratification.

PaPlayer412's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    Pittsburgh
    United States
    Member #69402
    January 9, 2009
    19 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2009, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Today a older fella actually was infront of me buying Lotto Numbers. And cashing in tickets taking forever

he actually turned around after he realized there was a whole line of people behind him. He then said " I'm holding up the line these people are going to beat me up! I'll hurry up" Got done quickly and appologized Very funny.

-PaPlayer412

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2009, 2:41 am - IP Logged

Honestly, I can't think of a time where this has happened to me, on either side of the counter.  I did, however, have  customers who would hold up the line at the counter, expecting me to ring up their groceries and cigarettes after they got their tickets.  In fact, when I asked one of them to go to the express line to avoid a hold-up, she asked to see a manager.  The manager even told her that I was justified in asking her to go to the express lane. 

What gets to me is seeing people hold up the line, giving the clerk sheet after sheet of three and four digit numbers.  That's what playslips are for.  They take two seconds to run through, and if you don't know how to fill one out, you really shouldn't be playing the lottery.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
        North Dakota
        United States
        Member #13397
        April 5, 2005
        1623 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2009, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Honestly, I can't think of a time where this has happened to me, on either side of the counter.  I did, however, have  customers who would hold up the line at the counter, expecting me to ring up their groceries and cigarettes after they got their tickets.  In fact, when I asked one of them to go to the express line to avoid a hold-up, she asked to see a manager.  The manager even told her that I was justified in asking her to go to the express lane. 

What gets to me is seeing people hold up the line, giving the clerk sheet after sheet of three and four digit numbers.  That's what playslips are for.  They take two seconds to run through, and if you don't know how to fill one out, you really shouldn't be playing the lottery.

AGREED!!!  If you can't learn how to use a playslip (or like some that are lazy and don't want to fill one out) stop playing or stick to Quick Picks!!!!

How are you going to win if you don't play?

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
          Yinzer Country, PA
          United States
          Member #4067
          March 18, 2004
          2741 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2009, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Or when they take up the counter, as well as the clerk's attention, buying instant tickets, and get mad when you buy the one they're playing.  It's even worse when you get the winner.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
            NC
            United States
            Member #11741
            February 23, 2005
            1233 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2009, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm generally a very patient person, but I do expect people to have some manners.  We've discussed counter scratchers before, so I know I'm not the only person this happens to and my question is...what is your reaction when a person who is scratching an instant game ticket near or on the counter interrupts your lottery transaction to buy another ticket?

The corner store that I go to doesn't allow scratching at the counter and if someone does try to interrupt your transaction to get another ticket, they have to wait in line like everybody else.  And at the FoodLion I go to, it's the same thing as at my corner store so If I had to do the poll, I would ask for the manager and get angry at the clerk who should know that once that scratchers tickets are bought, he has to step aside and let the next customer go.

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM