Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratcher Help

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Vergie6.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
DelmarvaChick's avatar - wallace
Ohio
United States
Member #68398
December 20, 2008
81 Posts
Posted: January 2, 2009, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Hi. I'm new, so sorry if this question is dumb or if the answer is really obvious, but I need some help.

Has anybody had much experience playing crossword scratcher games like "Cashword"?  I'm done scratching and may have won some decent money, but I don't want to go into the lottery office because I'm afraid they'll take my picture and and a bunch of dumb stuff...but the amount is'nt big enough to form a trust over. Do they typically count all words 3 letters and larger (because I certainly learned a few new ones tonight like "asp" and "lea") or just the obvious ones like "mom", and "dig"? I don't really want to go back to the store where I bouhgt it and cash it in because I'm afriad I may get cheated out of some unusual words because the clerk might not recognize them. It's my first scratcher of this type so I'm really excited...but confused...What?

Any suggestions?

Set4life's avatar - 2554
    East Hampton, NY
    United States
    Member #41995
    June 25, 2006
    1137 Posts
    Posted: January 2, 2009, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Congrat on your winnings Chick,  if your so worried about them 'stealing' your ticket, im sure theres a form on the back of the game, fill it out?  that way you wont get robbed? 

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

xthundercat2003's avatar - 161784 100002045964044_7086045_n.jpg
      new york
      United States
      Member #52681
      June 4, 2007
      2216 Posts
      Posted: January 2, 2009, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

hey sweetie just take it to the store cash it and as for a print out and they will give it to you like that

you will know how much you won

happy new year and blessed be

xthundercat2003's avatar - 161784 100002045964044 7086045 ntrust and belive

DelmarvaChick's avatar - wallace
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #68398
        December 20, 2008
        81 Posts
        Posted: January 2, 2009, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

You people rock!  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I can't wait until tomarrow so I can see what's-what with the ticket Smile

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8361 Posts
          Posted: January 2, 2009, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

You have to take it to the lottery HQ if the ticket is over 5000 bucks.

Your letters have to match all the letters in the/a word. Count up each word that you have complete letters for. Look to see in the block that has the information block that says 2 words = 5.00 3 words = 10.00 and so on etc. This will automatically tell you how many words you have correct and what amount you have won if it's under 5000 bucks take it to a large grocery store in your area and cash the ticket.  Less likely to get ripped off there. Ask for a winners receipt it will have the correct amount you won.... because they have to scan the ticket in order to verify it.  

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2009, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Just be sure to sign your ticket before you hand it to the clerk to check it.In most states you'll have to claim any win over $500 or $600 at the state lottery office because they will need to take taxes out before issuing you a check.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23267 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2009, 10:27 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
                Pelham NY
                United States
                Member #60411
                April 16, 2008
                169 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2009, 10:37 am - IP Logged

If you completely remove the scratchable vinyl from your ticket you will  see the payoff code, printed along the perimeter, and sometimes inbetween the symbols. Usually a three letter to indicate the amount. Examples  one  two  for  fiv  egt  twn  fry  fty  1$  2$  4$  8$  20$  40$  50$. Also the lottery provides thier retailers with a list of all the codes and the corresponding payoffs. Be good to your lottery agent and you'll receive some lottery swag when the agent brings it or hook up with the agent.

United States
                  Member #58528
                  February 18, 2008
                  710 Posts
                  Posted: January 3, 2009, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

If you completely remove the scratchable vinyl from your ticket you will  see the payoff code, printed along the perimeter, and sometimes inbetween the symbols. Usually a three letter to indicate the amount. Examples  one  two  for  fiv  egt  twn  fry  fty  1$  2$  4$  8$  20$  40$  50$. Also the lottery provides thier retailers with a list of all the codes and the corresponding payoffs. Be good to your lottery agent and you'll receive some lottery swag when the agent brings it or hook up with the agent.

Not every state uses those 3 letter codes.Iowa used to use them but people would buy those scratch off tickets that took forever to play,like Bingo & Crosswords,and just scratch the codes off of them.Since they didn't know the code for the big winners,like $25,000,they just threw the ticket away.Enough prizes went unclaimed that Iowa quit using the codes.Other states have done the same thing.

Talking Rock, GA
                    United States
                    Member #60369
                    April 15, 2008
                    398 Posts
                    Posted: January 3, 2009, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Not every state uses those 3 letter codes.Iowa used to use them but people would buy those scratch off tickets that took forever to play,like Bingo & Crosswords,and just scratch the codes off of them.Since they didn't know the code for the big winners,like $25,000,they just threw the ticket away.Enough prizes went unclaimed that Iowa quit using the codes.Other states have done the same thing.

I should mention, speaking of some states and using validation codes, GA only uses them for winners $19 and less.  When you get a $20 or better winner, the validation letters are random like the losing tickets.  Our $20 tickets have no validation letters at all for that reason (not even T-I-C for a free ticket).

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

United States
                      Member #58528
                      February 18, 2008
                      710 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2009, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

I should mention, speaking of some states and using validation codes, GA only uses them for winners $19 and less.  When you get a $20 or better winner, the validation letters are random like the losing tickets.  Our $20 tickets have no validation letters at all for that reason (not even T-I-C for a free ticket).

I've never seen a free ticket prize on anything but $1 tickets.Does Ga. have free ticket prizes on $20 tickets?I wouldn't like that at all.Iowa used to have free ticket prizes on $1 tickets but they got rid of that prize because people complained about clerks giving them only the same kind of ticket that they just won the free ticket on instead of the winners choice of $1 tickets.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: January 4, 2009, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Hi. I'm new, so sorry if this question is dumb or if the answer is really obvious, but I need some help.

Has anybody had much experience playing crossword scratcher games like "Cashword"?  I'm done scratching and may have won some decent money, but I don't want to go into the lottery office because I'm afraid they'll take my picture and and a bunch of dumb stuff...but the amount is'nt big enough to form a trust over. Do they typically count all words 3 letters and larger (because I certainly learned a few new ones tonight like "asp" and "lea") or just the obvious ones like "mom", and "dig"? I don't really want to go back to the store where I bouhgt it and cash it in because I'm afriad I may get cheated out of some unusual words because the clerk might not recognize them. It's my first scratcher of this type so I'm really excited...but confused...What?

Any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions, but I hope you were able to figure everything out. Did you get a big win?

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: January 4, 2009, 2:05 am - IP Logged

You have to take it to the lottery HQ if the ticket is over 5000 bucks.

Your letters have to match all the letters in the/a word. Count up each word that you have complete letters for. Look to see in the block that has the information block that says 2 words = 5.00 3 words = 10.00 and so on etc. This will automatically tell you how many words you have correct and what amount you have won if it's under 5000 bucks take it to a large grocery store in your area and cash the ticket.  Less likely to get ripped off there. Ask for a winners receipt it will have the correct amount you won.... because they have to scan the ticket in order to verify it.  

Did you mean $500?  I am quite sure that stores don't pay out more than $599 since a claim form must be completed and the win is reported to the IRS.  Up to $5,000 is the amount that you can win without the 25% mandatory federal tax deduction, but taxes are still due on amounts of $600 and over.  In FL you need to go to one of the Lottery Offices if you win $600 or more.  I am pretty certain that RJOh said that any amounts over $600 are cashed at a bank after you get a receipt from an Ohio Lottery retailer, but I could be mistaken. I've never heard of any large grocery store paying out that kind of money.

I just looked it up on the Ohio site. 

Obtain a claim form from the agent retailer, or download here.  Follow the instructions carefully. Your retailer will have a list of bank-cashing locations in your area where you may receive payment by presenting proper identification (see below). Please note that the banks currently charge a processing fee of $10 for this service.

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
                            Member #6363
                            August 20, 2004
                            4059 Posts
                            Posted: January 4, 2009, 2:14 am - IP Logged

Did you mean $500?  I am quite sure that stores don't pay out more than $599 since a claim form must be completed and the win is reported to the IRS.  Up to $5,000 is the amount that you can win without the 25% mandatory federal tax deduction, but taxes are still due on amounts of $600 and over.  In FL you need to go to one of the Lottery Offices if you win $600 or more.  I am pretty certain that RJOh said that any amounts over $600 are cashed at a bank after you get a receipt from an Ohio Lottery retailer, but I could be mistaken. I've never heard of any large grocery store paying out that kind of money.

I just looked it up on the Ohio site. 

Obtain a claim form from the agent retailer, or download here.  Follow the instructions carefully. Your retailer will have a list of bank-cashing locations in your area where you may receive payment by presenting proper identification (see below). Please note that the banks currently charge a processing fee of $10 for this service.

I have had large chain stores pay up to $2500 on Pick 3 tickets. (that is the highest I have ever tried at one time) They can pay cash as long as it is on separate tickets. If they have the money they don't care. I have walked out several times with a hand full of cash and no one even ask me my name.  Thumbs Up

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: January 4, 2009, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Dead Aim - first of all, good for you!  Congrats!  I must be playing the wrong game.  LOL   But I was talking about paying out that much on one ticket.   Yes, I realize if you win $500 on several separate tickets you don't need to fill out a claim form.  Amounts $600 and over are taxed.   A woman in front of me won $1,000 on an instant game ticket and Publix (which is a huge supermarket chain) could not pay her.  Those are the rules.   I can't say what the rules are for other states, but the IRS rules are the same for everyone!

Unless I'm reading the first post incorrectly, the question was about winning on a single ticket. 

DelmarvaChick - I wish you a lot of luck.  Welcome.  Sorry, I know very little about scratch-offs.