Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I can't help myself

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rubberbandman.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
Idaho
United States
Member #56506
November 21, 2007
6537 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2009, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

81, wow, ok

weird but whatever

wasnt powerball so im cool haha,

Why is it weird? Anyone over the age of 18 can buy tickets so I don't see what is so weird about this person winning.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2009, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Why is it weird? Anyone over the age of 18 can buy tickets so I don't see what is so weird about this person winning.

I Agree!

Way back when, people used to say "never trust anyone over 30" and there was a popular movie called Wild in the Streets.  Teenagers took over the government and when you reached 35 you were locked up and fed large doses of LSD.

So not much has changed!  LOL

What?  How do you know who won PB?   Anyway, I do agree that someone 81 who wins $100 million should probably give the ticket to her children or grandchildren.  Otherwise, the majority of it will be taxed upon her death.  However, maybe her son is someone like Max Frost and, after generously giving a winning PB ticket to him, he'll send her away to an old age home! 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2009, 2:40 am - IP Logged

I'm not so sure the tax tables are the same for someone over 65 (and retired) as they are for someone under 65 (and not retired), I don't remember the details of the conversations, but years' ago folks said 'if I win the lottery I will have my (retired) mom collect the winnings because her taxes would be 1/4th of what mine would be', etc.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2009, 3:46 am - IP Logged

Did you ever do your taxes and have to find a chart  for your age to find out how much you owed? Tax brackets are  the same regardless of age. OTOH, if somebody has a good job they may well be in a higher bracket than someone who's retired. If you won a few grand  the taxes might be lower if you let somebody else claim it for you. If you win a jackpot and let somebody else claim it the best you can hope for is to save a piddling amount by having an extra few bucks taxed at a lower rate.

You'd then have to balance those minor savings against not having legal control of the winnings. Even if the person who collects for you does exactly what you want, you're presumably going to give them something for claiming on your behalf. The only savings of consequence would be for somebody with a  fairly short life expectancy to have the prize cliamed by somebody with a longer life expectancy. That could postpone estate taxes for a generation, and essentially allow somebody to pass the winnings to an heir without paying any estate tax.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
          mn
          United States
          Member #59040
          March 4, 2008
          276 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2009, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

How is it not weird, she has, what, a couple months left at max,

at least give it to someone who will live long enough to enjoy it.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
          "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
            mn
            United States
            Member #59040
            March 4, 2008
            276 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2009, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Way back when, people used to say "never trust anyone over 30" and there was a popular movie called Wild in the Streets.  Teenagers took over the government and when you reached 35 you were locked up and fed large doses of LSD.

So not much has changed!  LOL

What?  How do you know who won PB?   Anyway, I do agree that someone 81 who wins $100 million should probably give the ticket to her children or grandchildren.  Otherwise, the majority of it will be taxed upon her death.  However, maybe her son is someone like Max Frost and, after generously giving a winning PB ticket to him, he'll send her away to an old age home! 

1. I suppose I agree with you there.

2. I don't obviously, I didnt actually play the last drawing (sucks for me), but she won a lotto raffle right, thats not powerball, so in that regard im cool.

Max Frost?

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
            "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."