Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

FL resident looking for way to play/win Powerball anonymously

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 8 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #69807
January 17, 2009
6 Posts
Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

From checking FL rules it looks like I can't accept here even with a trust, as trust beneficiaries must be disclosed.

However I was checking the powerball site and the two nearest states to participate look like Lousiana and S.Carolina. I think in LA the rules are the same as here in FL. In SC though, I see at least one anonymous winner listed. The SC site states that you don't have to be a state resident to purchase a ticket, but that the ticket must be purchased in SC (of course).

So the plan is to drive to SC, buy tickets near the border and drive back. If/when I win, ship a lawyer up to accept anonymously on my behalf and then fly back to FL where I get together with my financial team to work on investments.

Is this possible? Legal?

Thanks!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Are you serious?  This game has odds of 1 in 195 million.  So you would drive all the way to SC to buy a ticket just in case you win when there are lottery retailers in your own back yard?  Depending on where you live in Florida, you might spend as much as $100 in gas alone.  If you live in Jacksonville it will, of course, be a lot less than if you live in Miami.

Take the gas money and buy 50 more tickets with Powerplay to improve your chances of winning. 

Also, why would you want to pay SC state income tax?  That doesn't make any sense at all.  So, let me see if I understand you.  Just to make sure nobody finds out you won a lot of money, you are willing to drive hundreds of miles for a $1 or $2 ticket, then pay the state of SC over $6 million in state income tax even though you are a legal resident of a state where there is no tax.

What?

United States
      Member #69807
      January 17, 2009
      6 Posts
      Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I understand all that. I'm travelling north anyway, it isn't a special trip lol.

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I understand all that. I'm travelling north anyway, it isn't a special trip lol.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, SC taxes all income, including lottery prizes.  Some state do not, but you'd have to check each one individually.  I'm pretty sure SC & NC tax lottery winnings.  So why would you buy a ticket somewhere other than FL since you always pay tax on income where it is earned, not where you live. 

United States
          Member #69807
          January 17, 2009
          6 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2009, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Guess I'll have to decide if a ~7% cut is worth not being hounded by press/"friends"/criminals/charities.

Assuming it is, I'm still left with my original question.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2009, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Yes, it is perfectly legal.  I've purchased tickets in other states when I've traveled.  A lot of members do that if they live close to a state border. 

Regarding financial planners, if you are conducting business in SC, they might be required to get a non-resident state license.  Since you live in FL, that might not be necessary.  I have no idea because, as I already wrote, I would tell a client he's nuts.  Anyway, if a product is sold in a particular state, then the financial planner has to pay income tax in that state.  I don't know why you would fly people to another state.  You can get the same financial advice in Florida no matter where you win. 

I can't believe anyone in his or her right mind would pay over $6 million in state income tax when there is no guarantee your "secret" won't get out.  I mean, how did you suddenly get that new, large house?  Where did that luxury car come from?  I think I'd rather people know than imagine I'm dealing drugs or running a prostitution ring.  LOL  Seriously, unless you are planning to disappear from the face of the Earth, I can't see how anyone can hide the fact that he just came into a heck of a lot of cash, that is, unless you don't plan to change your lifestyle.

United States
              Member #69807
              January 17, 2009
              6 Posts
              Posted: January 17, 2009, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Tennesse would be an option too... for no state taxes on lottery winnings.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                Member #9517
                December 10, 2004
                1272 Posts
                Posted: January 17, 2009, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

ROFL LOL. Worry about how to win first!

United States
                  Member #69807
                  January 17, 2009
                  6 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2009, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

That's easy, just get the winning numbers ;)

United States
                    Member #69807
                    January 17, 2009
                    6 Posts
                    Posted: January 17, 2009, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Hmm TN doesn't have the anonymous option it seems... curses.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                      Midlands, SC
                      United States
                      Member #69698
                      January 14, 2009
                      303 Posts
                      Posted: January 17, 2009, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

This is too funny!!!  I was born and raised in South Carolina.  7% tax off the top baby....right after the 25% federal taxes.   Spend whatever extra cash you have buying more tickets.  Besides, if you're traveling North anyway...I'd stop at various different gas stations along the way doing quick picks....but if I could buy a winning ticket in Florida where there is no state tax....I'd prefer doing it there.   South Carolina taxes EVERYTHING!!!!  Be aware of that. 

More importantly.....how do you plan to win?  Anyone have any tips, secrets, etc?  Hell...I'd be happy with just 4 balls and a white ball right now!!!!  Just a little bit would do me good!  Let me know what to do....quick picks haven't done me any favors!!!  BTW...I'm planning on spending 25.00  (a lot for me)....how much is everyone else planning on spending?

Good Luck!!!! 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10356 Posts
                        Posted: January 17, 2009, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

From checking FL rules it looks like I can't accept here even with a trust, as trust beneficiaries must be disclosed.

However I was checking the powerball site and the two nearest states to participate look like Lousiana and S.Carolina. I think in LA the rules are the same as here in FL. In SC though, I see at least one anonymous winner listed. The SC site states that you don't have to be a state resident to purchase a ticket, but that the ticket must be purchased in SC (of course).

So the plan is to drive to SC, buy tickets near the border and drive back. If/when I win, ship a lawyer up to accept anonymously on my behalf and then fly back to FL where I get together with my financial team to work on investments.

Is this possible? Legal?

Thanks!

korr

If you're serious in assuming you are going to wind a Powerball jackpot you need a shrink a lot more than you do a lawyer.

Bark of bitter tree tastes good to hungry squirrel, sure, but be real.

Good Luck, and it is all luck.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: January 17, 2009, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I have a question.   7% of $96.9 million is about $6.7 million.  Wouldn't it be easier to just give away some of your money to nagging relatives? 

Yes Nod

United States
                            Member #58803
                            February 26, 2008
                            14 Posts
                            Posted: January 17, 2009, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

With respect to the original post, I say go for it...I live next to a state that allows the winner to remain anonymous, so sometimes I'll drive across the border to play for this reason. Sure, it's a bit of gas and time, but it's actually something I really enjoy (gives me plenty of time to brainstorm on how I will spend my winnings!). By the way, I always use the multi-draw option so I can play the same set of numbers for 15 draws. I find this to work really well, as I don't have to worry about buying tickets every draw.

Here's some useful info from the powerball site if you haven't already read it:

"All but three states (DE, KS, ND) have laws that require the lottery torelease the name and city of residence to anyone who asks. One state(SC) will keep your name secret if you request it, but if someone filesa Freedom of Information Act request, you may have to file a plea withthe judge to deny it. Another state (OK) now has a law that allows youto claim in a trust and to keep your name from the press (though thelottery will run checks on you). Photos and press conferences arealways up to you. Most of the time, it is advisable to get it over withthe press so that you don't have one or more reporters following youaround to get that "exclusive" interview. A few more lotteries may workwith you on setting up a trust or other partnership. You or yourrepresentative should contact the lottery for the details after youwin."

Best of luck...let us know when you hit the big one!

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: January 17, 2009, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

When did SC become a border state with FL?   Did GA move? Jester