Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$20 for PowerBall - PowerPlay or NOT??

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

$20 for PowerBall - Do You PowerPlay or NOT???

$20 - 20 Seperate Numbers [ 15 ]  [34.09%]
$20 - 10 PowerPlay Numbers [ 29 ]  [65.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Pogo's avatar - wfl
NC
United States
Member #29378
January 1, 2006
552 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2009, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Just wondering which way everyone would play this... I have a friend that like to go hard when PowerBall is high... Usually spending like $100 - I told him he would double his chances by getting 100 numbers rather than 50 Powerplay numbers... He said he would rather double his pay off... My reply was "so you're looking to hit less than jackpot???" Give me your feedback just for informational sake... Thanks-A-Million - Pogo

DelmarvaChick's avatar - wallace
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #68398
    December 20, 2008
    81 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2009, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I hope your friend knows that power ball didn't rollthe other night? Someone in Indiana won and it was me and some previous co-workers...almost (right state wrong numbers).

But...I would do powerplay, not that I'm the end-all-and-be-all in lottery, but i just like to multiply my money when possible.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8360 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2009, 12:51 am - IP Logged
      The whole idea behind the power play is to increase your prizes value should you just happen to win with any combination of your numbers. Who do you think is happier the people who had power play and won or the people that didn't an won. While I'm sure people are tickled they won anything the people with power play are taking away more cash than the non power play players.

MatchPrizeWinners
      (1/17/2009 Drawing)
                +   JACKPOT 1
               $200,000 2  (0 with Power Play)
              +   $10,000 63  (13 with Power Play)
             $100 2,409  (428 with Power Play)
            +   $100 3,506  (644 with Power Play)
           $7 128,901  (23,948 with Power Play)
          +   $7 52,731  (9,409 with Power Play)
        +   $4 313,738  (55,314 with Power Play)
       $3 604,680  (104,559 with Power Play)
      Total Number of winners:1,106,031  (194,315 with Power Play)

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2009, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Well the odds of winning the jackpot are so high, I don't think it matters how many tickets you buy. Usually I would say buy $20 worth, but one might as well buy $10 worth and then PP. Because if you are lucky enough to win something smaller, at least you will get a bit more money.

On Wednesdays (01/14) drawing, I bought 3 tickets and Power Played it and won $35 bucks. Not to shabby. If I hadn't PP, I would have only won $7.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
          Dallas, TX
          United States
          Member #60284
          April 12, 2008
          3856 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2009, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Your friend must have a good system to "go hard" with $100 per play. I selected the 2nd option.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2009, 2:40 am - IP Logged

Second option. That powerplay treat ya real nice when you turn what would have been a $7 win into $35 (or $70 during 'sweeps' month) for an extra buck.Lovies

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23259 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2009, 8:55 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                917 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2009, 9:20 am - IP Logged

I mostly just play $1 per panel (i.e. no powerplay) because even though the largest prize I have ever won from powerball was because I had powerplayed that ticket, there have been a lot more non-winners...therefore an extra buck gone down the drain without giving me another chance at winning.  So I aim to make my lottery playing bucks go as far as they can and seldom powerplay as I don't like to play for seconds...I mean really, does anyone actually say to themselves, "I am really dreaming of hitting that 2nd tier prize...boy I would be set!"  I don't think so.  Most everyone who actually plays PB/MM dreams of hitting the jackpot and all them multi-millions...not just a mere $1M before taxes.  Now whenever I pass through Florida, I would pay an extra buck or two for their jackpot increase of $10M or $25M...because I play to win and in that case, if I were to win, I would take away more money than the original jackpot amount.  But I can imagine that that option won't get much play down in Florida now with them having powerball as an instate choice.

And how about Wyoming considering a lottery...Mississippi, Alabama...what is keeping you from joining with Arkansas and now Wyoming?

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                  NC
                  United States
                  Member #29378
                  January 1, 2006
                  552 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2009, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I play both ways myself, but here recently I've just been getting more numbers cause I ain't been hitting anything :-( lol - Pogo

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                    CT
                    United States
                    Member #61398
                    May 21, 2008
                    781 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2009, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I play both ways myself, but here recently I've just been getting more numbers cause I ain't been hitting anything :-( lol - Pogo

Well with the guarantee of $1,000,000 for a 5+0 with Power Play, I can't see not going with that option.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2009, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Unless it's a record jackpot or even a rare jackpot (300+M) that $100 would add up fast.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                        Midlands, SC
                        United States
                        Member #69698
                        January 14, 2009
                        303 Posts
                        Posted: January 24, 2009, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

I was just wondering if the majority of people that win do it via quick pick or pick their own numbers.  I've done both without much luck.  How about everyone else?

Sometimes I pick the powerball and let the machine quick pick the rest.  According to the powerball's website, 14 as the powerball has come out more than any other number....but it's been a very long time since it's come out.  Lately I've noticed 24 or 26 come out a lot.  Makes me want to play those 2 as the powerball all the time. 

Let me know of any powerball strategies anyone may have.  I always power-up for 2 bucks.  The one time I didn't I had the powerball and one number and the powerplay was 5 - I was NOT happy with myself. 

jojosurf's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                          phila pa
                          United States
                          Member #25770
                          November 11, 2005
                          4623 Posts
                          Posted: January 24, 2009, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

I always use power play to get a little extra 5 tickete at $10.00 and if you get power ball and 1or 2 numbers return is better for extra $1.00

United States
                            Member #24439
                            October 22, 2005
                            638 Posts
                            Posted: January 24, 2009, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

I was just wondering if the majority of people that win do it via quick pick or pick their own numbers.  I've done both without much luck.  How about everyone else?

Sometimes I pick the powerball and let the machine quick pick the rest.  According to the powerball's website, 14 as the powerball has come out more than any other number....but it's been a very long time since it's come out.  Lately I've noticed 24 or 26 come out a lot.  Makes me want to play those 2 as the powerball all the time. 

Let me know of any powerball strategies anyone may have.  I always power-up for 2 bucks.  The one time I didn't I had the powerball and one number and the powerplay was 5 - I was NOT happy with myself. 

I keep trying to let people know that there betting strategy affects their winning.

If I recall in early polls way back, A lot of people did not chose to play powerplay.

But this is a slightly different question( you are being forced to chose one - the best option).

I personally think that powerplay makes powerball unique.

If it is not for powerplay, I would really hate powerball.

A good betting strategy include not playing the same powerball over and over because you think it is due to hit.

I have tried that and learned my lesson. A number can chose not to show up for a year. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

It also doesn't do you any good to have a bad system or none consistant system.

I feel sometimes that a quick pick would pay off in the long run. But I can't speak for that I am afraid of leaving it all to luck.

Eden Prairie, MN
                              United States
                              Member #49875
                              February 18, 2007
                              63 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2009, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know if you can play the POWERPLAY for 5 rows of numbers and for other 5 rows of numbers with no POWERPLAY on the ticket slip or they have to print them off separately?