Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When the clerk *overpays* you for a winning ticket, you... (choose one)

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 8 years ago by OldSchoolPa.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What do you do if the clerk overpays you on a winning ticket?

Inform the clerk there may have been a mistake. [ 85 ]  [76.58%]
Keep the money. Maybe you misread the ticket. [ 26 ]  [23.42%]
Total Valid Votes [ 111 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
TotallyDavis's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
North Charleston, SC
United States
Member #69214
January 6, 2009
45 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

It's a tough call, huh?  If you bring the mistake to the clerk's attention, you might have to give back some money, but you'll be doing the 'right thing'.  If you keep it, and you didn't actually win it, it's a nice bonus but the store's register will come up short eventually.  But then again, maybe the clerk should have been paying more attention.  And then again, maybe your character is being tested.  Or perhaps this is just an *extra* lucky day for you, and it would be foolish to question Providence.

In addition to the straight morality of the question, do you believe in karma, and do you believe that your karma will be affected either way?

Sorry folks, I've gone both ways on this one myself.  I've brought it up to the clerk before, and had her figure out that she overpaid me by a few dollars and I've also simply accepted the cash, rationalizing it to myself that, "I guess I won more than I thought."

North Charleston, SC
    United States
    Member #69214
    January 6, 2009
    45 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Crap, I guess I should have included that as a third choice, "It depends.....".  But that's not a choice, so choose the one that you are *most likely* to do, and that you have historically done more.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

"It's a tough call, huh?"

What?

Not at all.  If you get more than you are entitled to and realize it, you are being dishonest if you don't say something.  There's nothing tough about it.

I've gotten too much change from a cashier and I always give it back.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.  The couple who spent $175,000 when they only deposited $17,500 went to jail.  If it's not yours, then it's stealing. 

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1281 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I would immediately check if the payout corresponds with the prize money if I felt something was wrong.

North Charleston, SC
          United States
          Member #69214
          January 6, 2009
          45 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Let's say you go turn in one of those complicated scratch offs with lines and numbers every which way.

Reading the ticket is sometimes confusing, but scanning into the lottery machine is supposed to print an accurate amount of what you won, correct?

So let's say you bought a ticket and it says (you think) that you won $10.  You go take it to the clerk, and then they scan it in, and the clerk hands you $15.

Maybe you missed a line or something.  There's a bunch of impatient customers behind you tapping their feet.  You are holding the entire line up.

Should you speak up and ask to see your ticket again?  Everyone behind you will be ticked off, and even the cashier will probably roll her eyes at you.

Maybe you really did win $15.... and you just didn't look at your ticket right....

...maybe you should just take it.

Or you can take the time to bring it to the clerk's attention, and be sure that the ticket says you won the $15.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Not a tough call for me. This happened to me a couple of days ago. I had won $35 dollars recently on Powerball and for some reason the clerk ended up giving me $80. lol. I have no idea why she was off by that much, but it was a mistake. I told her she over paid me and handed her the extra money back. She was so thankful that I was honest with her. Her job could have been at stake. I would never think of taking advantage of the situation.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
              Pelham NY
              United States
              Member #60411
              April 16, 2008
              169 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I treat my lottery play like a business, and I frequent the same places and  I enjoy a good relationship with all the clerks. Any mistake that's made will be straightened out right away, because I intend to maintain a good business relationship. ( key to success) I believe.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3856 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Karma is watching...

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                  Midlands, SC
                  United States
                  Member #69698
                  January 14, 2009
                  303 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Well...I say trust the machine.  If the machine says that the amount given back is correct...keep the money...but if the clerk is just not counting correctly then help her out.  Remember that this may be that same clerk that keeps your money by mistake the next time your in there and are in too big of a rush to realize it. 

There have been many times with scratch-offs that I missed a number and actually won more than I thought. 

When they under charge me I always correct them...the one time I didn't long ago I was cheated out of more money a few days later at a drive-thru window and there was nothing I could do about it.  Karma sucks!!!! I learned my lesson the hard way.  Do the right thing!  Plus, it makes you feel better.  Just this past Monday I bought a $10 ticket and she told me it was $5....I had to convince her to look at it...she had them in the wrong bin...and shockingly enough....she said THANK YOU....I patted myself on the back for that.  I didn't win a damned thing on the ticket though. :-(

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    51193 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2009, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

"It's a tough call, huh?"

What?

Not at all.  If you get more than you are entitled to and realize it, you are being dishonest if you don't say something.  There's nothing tough about it.

I've gotten too much change from a cashier and I always give it back.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.  The couple who spent $175,000 when they only deposited $17,500 went to jail.  If it's not yours, then it's stealing. 

I Agree!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                      Member #58528
                      February 18, 2008
                      710 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2009, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

It's a tough call, huh?  If you bring the mistake to the clerk's attention, you might have to give back some money, but you'll be doing the 'right thing'.  If you keep it, and you didn't actually win it, it's a nice bonus but the store's register will come up short eventually.  But then again, maybe the clerk should have been paying more attention.  And then again, maybe your character is being tested.  Or perhaps this is just an *extra* lucky day for you, and it would be foolish to question Providence.

In addition to the straight morality of the question, do you believe in karma, and do you believe that your karma will be affected either way?

Sorry folks, I've gone both ways on this one myself.  I've brought it up to the clerk before, and had her figure out that she overpaid me by a few dollars and I've also simply accepted the cash, rationalizing it to myself that, "I guess I won more than I thought."

This is a no brainer.If the clerk over pays you and you know it and don't return the money,you are a thief.If you can live with yourself being a thief,fine.Only you can make that decision.

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                        The Great Smoky Mountains
                        United States
                        Member #59921
                        March 31, 2008
                        266 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2009, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

karma baby  keep it honest odds are you probley wont win then . always be honest it you might be surprised what happens. Cameras are always watching anyways. and GOD

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***

United States
                          Member #54390
                          August 17, 2007
                          313 Posts
                          Posted: January 22, 2009, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

When I lived in Michigan 4 years ago, Some guy wanted to redeem a bunch of tickets.  One ticket's prize was $50.  The machine spits out two confirmations, one for the player and one for the retailer. I mistakenely thought both tickets were for the retailer and I gave him extra $50.  10 Minutes after he left, I realized my mistake and called my boss.  He garnished my wages and I quit.  The guy used to be an extremely nice REGULAR customer and he never came back to the store again.

This is why I don't trust anyone, anymore.. even nice people.  I don't believe in Karma either.  I've done so many good things in my life but nothing goes well for me. I still do good things like donate and help people out... it's just natural that I do this.   Don't know when my good is coming.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                            West Side of Sunny Florida
                            United States
                            Member #55048
                            September 8, 2007
                            3371 Posts
                            Posted: January 22, 2009, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

I treat my lottery play like a business, and I frequent the same places and  I enjoy a good relationship with all the clerks. Any mistake that's made will be straightened out right away, because I intend to maintain a good business relationship. ( key to success) I believe.

I have NEVER had someone OVER PAY or UNDERPAY a win.  BUT when I buy the tickets is when I have issues.  I TRY to do what you do MysteryMan424 BUT the stores keep firing & hiring people and very few know how to run the machines.  I often have to 'explain' why they have the wrong  (too much or too little)  total for the games I am playing AND I am using bet slips!!! Crazy

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                              NC
                              United States
                              Member #11741
                              February 23, 2005
                              1233 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2009, 1:33 am - IP Logged

My daughter works at a grocery store and when the money comes up short, they get penalized for it even though it may be only a few dollars short or over.  So I would give the money back.

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM