Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

News Conference

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 8 years ago by MaddMike51.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you hold a news conference if you won the jackpot and couldn't remain anonymous?

YES, I would want my 15 minutes of fame [ 8 ]  [10.67%]
NO, I would just claim the prize and stay hidden [ 67 ]  [89.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 75 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
Pelham NY
United States
Member #60411
April 16, 2008
169 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2009, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

An old saying, Rich people have many problems- I'd like to have thier problems. When it comes to being photographed when claiming a big jackpot, I say cross that bridge if you come to it. Most likely people will have forgotten you soon after you do. The important thing isn't what you do when you claim, its what you do AFTER you make the claim.

san diego
    United States
    Member #68237
    December 16, 2008
    97 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2009, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

No way I will have a press conference, maybe I will wear sunglasses. I lived in san Diego, just accross is Tijuana, Mexico where kidnap for ransom groups exists.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2009, 12:07 am - IP Logged

If possible, I would avoid having the news conference. I have no desire for an extra 15 minutes of fame. I just want the check. LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2009, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

If possible, I would avoid having the news conference. I have no desire for an extra 15 minutes of fame. I just want the check. LOL

I Agree! 

Forget the fame,just give me the fortune!

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
          Republic of Texas
          United States
          Member #57557
          January 9, 2008
          1095 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2009, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I would tell the lottery commission that I do not speak well in public, which is true. My throat closes up and my brain leaves for vacation. For the picture, I would see if the lottery would allow me to have stand ins and if so, I'd ask a few of my son's frat brothers to get their picture taken - and in gratitude gift them with $1000. LOL.  If not, I'd wear a wig, use lots of makeup (since I don't), and heavy plastic glasses if not sunglasses.  I could probably talk my hairdresser into doing it all for me, too for a nice big tip.  ;)

I am not so worried about my name because my house and most of my bills are still in my married name. I have very little in my maiden name - too much hassle to change it out. I am not even sure if my neighbors know my maiden name since I was still married when I moved here.  If anyone at work asked if it was me, I'd just sat "I wish" or "would I be here if it were?".

But no pictures and no public speech for me, if I can get away with it.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

United States
            Member #71351
            February 23, 2009
            7 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2009, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

Whatever is required by law I would do, I believe in FL your name and city are required to be announced, as soon as I got my hand on that cash I'd move immediately because

anybody can find you at any time once they have a name and city, its not very difficult.  I'd most certainly hire a lawyer and talk to them on what is and isn't necessary.  If I wanted to

be famous I'd have pursued a different career, I'll take that check, somebody else can take the fame. ;)

DC81's avatar - batman39
              MI
              United States
              Member #54830
              August 31, 2007
              985 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2009, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

If you're really concerned about it you might want to change your name too, unless you have a name that's fairly common. It's amazing what you can find with Google and your name will certainly be plastered online for everyone to look up, there might even be a picture if Florida requires a photo-op at the press conference... Might want to think about wearing a disguise. Razz

You can't predict random.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #61435
                May 22, 2008
                907 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2009, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

When I win, before collecting, I will immediately rent a temporary "front" place, out of town or state and then get a new drivers license from that new address so when they publish where I am from NO ONE will know me and others who do while looking only at my name might ask me are you "John Doe" who won I could say nope, he was from _________.  I would also use a disguise "hollywood style" if a photo op is required.  

Best case scenario is a lawyer accepting on behalf of a trust/LLC etc. with no mention of my name, no picture.  Cool

Come on Lady Luck!!!!

LottoHackJack's avatar - leaf
                  Leamington, Ontario
                  Canada
                  Member #2995
                  December 11, 2003
                  59 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2009, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Let's face it.  Most states require that your name be made public if you win the powerball/mega millions jackpot.  Some states allow winners to remain anonymous, but most states want the winner's name to be made public so that the general public can be assured that the prize is being sent to a real person.  Would you want the 15 minutes of fame or would you quietly claim the prize?  Before you make your selection, remember what happened to David Edwards after 2001 and what happened to Jack Whittaker after 2002.  But also remember that if you show your face to the public, the public can be assured that YOU are the winner and not some other greedy family member or relative.  If you hold the news conference, then the greedy family members and relatives may not take any action against you for fear of being exposed by the press. 

...If any one person or group is threatening or demanding that you share your personal lottery winnings with them...be really nice just that one time, and buy them one ticket to give them the very same opportunity which you had...Wish them lots of luck...They would now have the same or similar chances as you gambled on with your originally hard-earned cash. If they don't win, it was meant to be that way...They should keep their job.

United States
                    Member #71351
                    February 23, 2009
                    7 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2009, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Everybody looks different in a hat and unshaven face ;)

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      North Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #64582
                      September 1, 2008
                      347 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2009, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Remember that woman who recently collected her money who wore a disguise? I mean, really, it was still pretty obvious who it was. As for those of you saying you'd tip your hairdresser big to do your hair...um, she still knows who you are and may not hold it "close to the vest".

I liked this question because, face it, we all would LOVE to do a news conference. Show the world who we are, tell certain peopel to "stick it", etc. Just like how everyone has pretended at one time or another, to be on "JayLeno/Johnny Carson" and chatting. [Does anyone remember when the first big winner of over $100 million Powerball was on David Letterman? She was in college and pregnant and wore a stunning black dress. I've always wondered what has happened to her since...maybe it was 1991?]

But at the same time, we are all realists. What you could get out of doing a news conference is very little compared to the h*ll you will get from it.

If I HAD to do a news conference, I would do like the woman I mentioned above, except, well, do a better job. Wear a wig or dye my hair the opposite of what it really is. Wear foundation that is completely not my skin tone. Wear big, ugly glasses that truly cover the color of my eyes. Pretend to have an accent, when I really don't. Have on clothes that are completely not my type. And last, but not least, try not to smile. That's right. Personally, I've always thought that people that won a big jackpot and not smile about it are lame in the brain. However, if I smiled at the camera, most people would know it was me.

Yet, I'm pretty sure NC doesn't require a news conference. And I'm pretty sure that you can say "No, thank you" when they ask to take a picture. But they DO print your name and town in the paper and internet, and Kidzmom is absolutely correct - you can find anyone you want in the tax database in NC. So you have to do a trust or something along those lines, to remain anonymous in NC.

Which is why I'm happy that I bought so many Megamillion tickets in Virginia because they allow anonymous winners (I think).

But a related quick question... if you don't live in the state where you won the jackpot, they can't give your name or address unless you allow them, correct? Because you are out of state, right?

United States
                        Member #58528
                        February 18, 2008
                        710 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2009, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

"But a related quick question... if you don't live in the state where you won the jackpot, they can't give your name or address unless you allow them, correct? Because you are out of state, right?"

If you win money in their state you are bound by their rules.Where you live has nothing to do with it.