Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot winner? (after the big win)

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Dawn32.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a jackpot of 5 million or more, what is one of the first things you would do?

Consult a financial advisor [ 35 ]  [34.65%]
Pay off all debts [ 20 ]  [19.80%]
Give a percentage to family & friends [ 3 ]  [2.97%]
Give 10% to church or charity [ 3 ]  [2.97%]
TELL YOUR BOSS WHERE TO GO AND HOW TO GET THERE! [ 5 ]  [4.95%]
Vegas Baby! [ 2 ]  [1.98%]
Buy a modest home and invest the rest [ 1 ]  [0.99%]
Keep it all to yourself and screw everyone else! [ 2 ]  [1.98%]
Thank God! [ 24 ]  [23.76%]
other/explain [ 6 ]  [5.94%]
Total Valid Votes [ 101 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
Member #60535
April 21, 2008
460 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2009, 10:36 am - IP Logged

The very first thing I would do is seek out a good financial advisor, maybe invest some in green and nanotechnology. I don't care what the naysayers say about green and nano, most "experts" have really messed us up anyway.

Build a modest self sustaining solar home / small farm.

Give talented friends and family no interest loans to start their own small businesses.

Then off to Vegas, Amsterdam, Germany, Italy, Hawaii, Canada etc., and a small business of my own when I get back home.

I would be very careful about no interest loans, you may be subject to a gift tax.  why not just given them 13K each?

United States
    Member #54390
    August 17, 2007
    313 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2009, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

I actually ask the Lord for forgiveness for playing the lottery.  I was taught that gambling is a sin.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
      Nova Scotia
      Canada
      Member #9934
      December 27, 2004
      884 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2009, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Tizeye, I wasn't putting anyone on a guilt trip, that is only how you perceived it, and that is a red flag to me, that you would make a inaccurate assumption about someone you don't even know!  I was replying to someone saying that gambling is a sin...

My response to them was it is only a sin if you think about yourself- are selfish- and don't help other people that are in need;.after a person has become so fortunate as to win a large sum of money ; I am not talking about people knocking at your door looking for money;  as you mentioned- I am talking about people that need financial help; legitimate requests;

If I won a large amount of money I would pay my bills off first, help my mother,  and help people with legitimate needs- and I would talk to them first to find out their situation and if I had a good feeling about their request, no, I would not turn my back on them..

RED FLAGS

People trying to put guilt trips on me, for what I talk about in casual conversation in a public post..

Then I would travel when I had the time, and in my travel if I met people that needed help, then I would help them too!

Rant

larry3100's avatar - larry icon2.jpg
        Redwood City,California
        United States
        Member #70503
        February 3, 2009
        200 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2009, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

In the bible "King James" It says "For the love of money is evil". And also it says "Without dreams were dead. There-fore I'll play the lottery with my few dollars."NO GUILT TRIP". Big Smile

Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #71244
          February 21, 2009
          17 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2009, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

There's NO WHERE in the Bible that says gambling is a sin.  As a matter of fact smoking and drinking are also non-sins.

Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #71244
            February 21, 2009
            17 Posts
            Posted: February 21, 2009, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

You were taught it was a sin against whom?

Halle99's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              United States
              United States
              Member #68252
              December 16, 2008
              168 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2009, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

PartyWell I will first thank My Heavenly Father GOD, Call my father up and tell him to call his boss up that He is retiring…Take annuity, Pay all my debts and my family debts.....Invest....Wait for school to have spring break take my family to some exotic country for a week, come back, buy my family a home......be my own boss....GOD Thanks so much.

I really can't wait for Tuesday....I am like a wee baby..

United Kingdom
                Member #71330
                February 23, 2009
                1 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2009, 7:11 am - IP Logged

Hello everyone.Im new:)Sorry if ive posted a reply back in the wrong bit.If i won the UK or euro first thing id do is cry and shake...then ring up my boyfriend, mum,brother and sister so we could all cry together lol......Then get some sound financial advice before doing ANYTHING else..split the money 3 ways between us....pay off my bills is the first thing id do with the cash....Then the worlds my oyster...give to animal and homeless charaties then.....not sure after that...got a smallish list of  dreams id want to fullfill...get my own place with my boyfriend,i really arnt sure...lol.....When it happens....(ya gotta believe its gonna happen to you someday),i,ll let you know:P.or perhaps not cos i,ll be having too much fun doing things than to be on the internet:)lollll

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5118 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2009, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

The first thing I would do is go to Idaho Falls,Idaho and sit down with the owner of Powerhouse Coach and design a custom motorhome.After waiting 6 or 7 months for my motorhome to be built to my specifcations,I would start on the adventure of a lifetime.My motorhome would be built with a garage on the back of it to haul my 55 Ford panel truck,which will undergo a complete makeover while my motorcoach is being built.The garage of my motorcoach will do double duty.Besides hauling my panel truck it will also carry emergency supplys for people who are living through a natural disaster such as a flood,hurricane,wildfire or tornado.I'd drive all over America giving food,clothing and medical supplys to those less fortunate than myself.The cool thing about it is I would be helping people in need as well as seeing every nook and cranny of America.I've always been nomadic.I spent a few years in my late teens and early 20's hitchhiking around the country but really couldn't afford to see everything that I wanted to see.A Powerball or Mega Millions win would allow me to take up where I left off in the 70's and help people at the same time.

Jack-in-the-BoxI Agree!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MaddMike51:

THEY make BEAUTIFUL>>>>>>>COACH'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!

LIKE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UR>>>>>>>STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    884 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2009, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

I would jump up and downHyper, and then do a lotto happy dance! Dance

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #58835
                      February 27, 2008
                      148 Posts
                      Posted: March 12, 2009, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

You don't have what I would do on your list....First thing I would do is probably faint.  LOL

My husband would quit his job and we'd take a nice long vacation...maybe to Disney or somewhere tropical.  After our vacation, we'd have to settle down and figure out where we want to live (definitely not HERE) and go from there. 

Depending on the amount, if it's quite large, we'd have to pull our kids out of school and get private tuitors. 

What I wouldn't give to have to deal with those types of problems. Wink

Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #71646
                        March 1, 2009
                        204 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2009, 12:39 am - IP Logged

Why would you do this when gambling is a sin in the Christian religion?  There's a reason why people say that smoking, drinking and gambling are "guilty pleasures".

Hi, as a Christian I'd like to respond.

Gambling is not a sin, neither is drinking.  Scripture tells us that all things are lawful, but all things are not beneficial - all things are lawful, but do not be under the power of anything (my paraphrase).  In other words, drinking, without being drunk, in moderation, and as long as drinking doesn't control you (like feeling you HAVE to drink), then its okay.  Same with gambling. No where does the bible instruct us to not gamble, but to be addicted to gambling (or anything else), that is where the sin comes in.  I hope that helps!

United States
                          Member #54390
                          August 17, 2007
                          313 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2009, 1:49 am - IP Logged

Gambling is not a sin, neither is drinking.  Scripture tells us that all things are lawful, but all things are not beneficial - all things are lawful, but do not be under the power of anything (my paraphrase).  In other words, drinking, without being drunk, in moderation, and as long as drinking doesn't control you (like feeling you HAVE to drink), then its okay.  Same with gambling. No where does the bible instruct us to not gamble, but to be addicted to gambling (or anything else), that is where the sin comes in.  I hope that helps!

What denomination are you in?   A Christian church that tells you Gambling, Drinking and Smoking are ok?   What else do they teach you? It's ok to hurt others as well?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19824 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2009, 2:14 am - IP Logged

Is adultery in moderation on that list of all things that are lawful?  If so, sign me up, I want to be a Christian.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #71646
                              March 1, 2009
                              204 Posts
                              Posted: March 14, 2009, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

What denomination are you in?   A Christian church that tells you Gambling, Drinking and Smoking are ok?   What else do they teach you? It's ok to hurt others as well?

I am non-denominational.  I am a boro-again Spirit-filled Christian.  I go by the teachings of the scriptures themselves. I never said anything about smoking, only gambling and drinking.  The tradition of man teaches that gambling is a sin, as well as drinking.  But what do the scriptures say?  Scripture is always the authority in my life, and it was the Pharisees who exalted their own traditions above the written commandments of God.  Tradition, in itself, is not wrong, as long as it doesn't make void the scriptures.  If a christian believes it is sin to drink or gamble, then, for the sake of their conscience, they should not do those things.  And for the sake of that person, I wouldn't drink in front of them either.  I occasionally have wine, and that's not wrong.  I do not drink in excess, and I am not brought under the power of it - so its not sin.  Same with gambling, I don't spend all my money on it and I am not addicted to it, so its not wrong.

Unless someone can show me scripture where it says its wrong, I am open to that. But there are so many man-made traditions taught in the church today, that we seemed to have forgotten what His Word really says.  I am about getting back to the basics of His Word alone.  Like I said, if its a sin for you then don't do it.

Here are the scripture references that back up all I've said. I don't know how much of a discussion about Christianity is welcomed on this forum but I left some scriptures here that speak of what I've mentioned.

1 Cor 6

1 Cor 10

1 Cor 8

"Bless me Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others."