Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity to avoid lawsuits - frivolous and otherwise

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 8 years ago by randommusings.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Is your reason for anonymity to avoid lawsuits?

Yes - I have real reason to fear a lawsuit. [ 3 ]  [4.84%]
Yes - I fear frivolous lawsuits of any kind. [ 12 ]  [19.35%]
No - I want anonymity for other reasons. [ 41 ]  [66.13%]
No - I don't care about anonymity anyhow. [ 6 ]  [9.68%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #38908
May 7, 2006
27 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2009, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

We have all done something stupid in our lives for which others would like to get some revenge - jilted lovers/spouses, friendships ended badly, bad bets, business deals gone bad, etc.

Of course, some people might threaten to sue you for simply looking at them funny - and now you have money and are a clear target.

Would you want to claim a major jackpot anonymously primarily because you fear a lawsuit or two or three (hundred!)??  Jack Whittaker was a target for sure - deserving or not.

Or does it fall much lower on your list of reasons to claim anonymously or not?

I wanna die in my sleep - like my grandfather. 

Not screaming and yelling - like the passengers in his car. Confused

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2009, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I've done more than one stupid thing in my life.  However, the main reason I wouldn't want my name or photo in the news is for safety purposes.

United States
      Member #61232
      May 16, 2008
      126 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2009, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I'm an introvert and have no desire for fame or attention.  I buy my tickets in Delaware so it wouldn't be a problem for me to stay anonymous.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
        Dallas, TX
        United States
        Member #60284
        April 12, 2008
        3856 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2009, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

For safety of my family and myself. Fame is overrated. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: February 16, 2009, 1:47 am - IP Logged

I would rather remain anonymous not because I fear a lawsuit, but because I just don't want the extra attention.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3502 Posts
            Posted: February 16, 2009, 1:55 am - IP Logged

The reason to be anonymous is to reduce the number of people who ask for money. It's very unlikely to make a difference in the number of frivoulous lawsuits that might come your way. Knowing you have money could make you a more attractive target, but it's your actions that make you a target in the first place. Even Jack Whittaker only managed to be sued by a few people, and he seems to have been very good at making himself a target.  That makes me think I'd have very little to worry about.

What I would be concerned about are legitimate lawsuits. Winning a lottery isn't likely to make you a better driver, for instance, and if somebody has a legitimate reason to sue you, having claimed anonymously won't be a factor when their lawyer checks to see whether or not you're likely to be a worthwhile target. One of the many reasons to have good insurance coverage is that you won't be the one paying the bills for defending against any lawsuits that would require your insurance to pay if you lose. It's rare for a plaintiff to collect much more than the available insurance coverage, but anyone who has a few million in assets and doesn't have a hefty umbrella policy is an idiot.

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
              Raleigh
              United States
              Member #49057
              January 17, 2007
              172 Posts
              Posted: February 16, 2009, 10:25 am - IP Logged

Winning makes you a public target, which would.

1. Make me question whether new friends or relationships were really about me or the money I won.

2. Put my friends and family in danger.

3. Make me a target for beggars and scammers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2009, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

For safety of my family and myself. Fame is overrated. 

I Agree! There are too many people in the world who are both stupid and greedy. That combination makes them dangerous.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2009, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

I'd prefer to remain anonymous so as not to hear from the 675,000 "cousins" that surface when someone wins a jackpot.

David Lee Edwards, famous for saying, "You can't fix stupid" - who won a jackpot, bought a home in Florida and lost it because he stopped paying his association fees, said when he won he was getting sacks of mail everyday addressed to "Lottery winner" and asked the post office to stop delivering it. They said they had to because they knew where he lived and who it was intended for. He estimated he had received over 50,000 letters.

That was just anil mail, so you can imagine all the other requests and solicitations.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2009, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss, is this really true?  I mean, that's like addressing a letter to Santa Claus.  Does the USPS have to deliver all of that mail too?

When I receive mail addressed to "Resident" I just write on the envelope "He doesn't live here any more. Please forward."

Razz

United States
                      Member #58528
                      February 18, 2008
                      710 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2009, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss, is this really true?  I mean, that's like addressing a letter to Santa Claus.  Does the USPS have to deliver all of that mail too?

When I receive mail addressed to "Resident" I just write on the envelope "He doesn't live here any more. Please forward."

Razz

I write "deceased" on junk mail.I have to take it the Post office drive-thru because the mailman won't pick up the junkmail from my mailbox.

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                        Raleigh
                        United States
                        Member #49057
                        January 17, 2007
                        172 Posts
                        Posted: February 17, 2009, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I write "deceased" on junk mail.I have to take it the Post office drive-thru because the mailman won't pick up the junkmail from my mailbox.

Don't you guys have trash cans? :)

United States
                          Member #58528
                          February 18, 2008
                          710 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2009, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Don't you guys have trash cans? :)

No,no trash cans here.I used to have a spare room where I stashed the junk mail.My insurance man stopped by one day and raised my rates because that room qualified as a fire hazard.I was forced to write "deceased" on the front of all that junk mail and send it back where it originated from.My insurance rates went back down.But I got writers cramp in my right hand.Now I get very little junk mail from that publishing house in New York and that record club in Terre Haute,Indiana.Not to mention all of those preapproved credit card offers!

Bondi Junction
                            Australia
                            Member #57242
                            December 24, 2007
                            1102 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2009, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

I would wish to remain anonymous for the simple reason, I would not want to be treated differently for before. At every conversation people would say, "well, you can afford it". I can imagine that would get very tiring. I don't talk about my income, or ask others about their incomes, so why talk about additional income from a lottery win?

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                              Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: February 18, 2009, 6:34 am - IP Logged

No,no trash cans here.I used to have a spare room where I stashed the junk mail.My insurance man stopped by one day and raised my rates because that room qualified as a fire hazard.I was forced to write "deceased" on the front of all that junk mail and send it back where it originated from.My insurance rates went back down.But I got writers cramp in my right hand.Now I get very little junk mail from that publishing house in New York and that record club in Terre Haute,Indiana.Not to mention all of those preapproved credit card offers!

Hey Mike, put anything you get with a pre-paid envelope in that envelope and send it back to them! Let them pay for getting their junk mail back and they will almost stop sending you their junk mail! I have been doing it for years and my junk mail has almost come to a complete stop from the credit card companies and the Columbia house type clubs! And Mike, some companies just don't get it and keep sending you their junk anyway and I keep sending it all back to them in their pre-paid envelope!ROFL

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up