Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anonymity to avoid lawsuits - frivolous and otherwise

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 8 years ago by randommusings.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Is your reason for anonymity to avoid lawsuits?

Yes - I have real reason to fear a lawsuit. [ 3 ]  [4.84%]
Yes - I fear frivolous lawsuits of any kind. [ 12 ]  [19.35%]
No - I want anonymity for other reasons. [ 41 ]  [66.13%]
No - I don't care about anonymity anyhow. [ 6 ]  [9.68%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #58528
February 18, 2008
710 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2009, 10:42 am - IP Logged

BaristaExpress,I tried that but the record club in Indiana was to stupid to get the hint.The publishing company in New York doesn't send you a prepaid envelope.So I just write "deceased" on the envelope and send it back.Nobody wants to send junkmail to a dead person.

United States
    Member #54390
    August 17, 2007
    313 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2009, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

If I won, I would remain anonymous the best of my ability.  I would drive a normal car, buy a normal house, normal clothing and normal life.  I don't want to look rich because the lottery jackpot is money I didn't earn.  

If I were a millionaire and I earned my money by doing business and hard work, then I would look wealthy and rich so I could tell others that I worked hard for my money.

The Texan's avatar - TexasFlag1
      D/FW Texas
      United States
      Member #71145
      February 19, 2009
      9 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2009, 10:08 am - IP Logged

I've done more than one stupid thing in my life.  However, the main reason I wouldn't want my name or photo in the news is for safety purposes.

Yes definately.  There was an article I read about Jack Whittaker, who won the W. Virginia lottery in 2002.  He had his car broken into, was drugged, had people just hunt him down asking for money....no thanks.

I would much rather create a trust, have my attorney attend the new conference and relay my feelings and intentions and then I bank it all and live very quietly, but definitely pay off the mortgage and swap out the old Buick for a nice Honda or something.

Publicity when you have TONS of money is not a good thing.

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2009, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Well, with Jack many of his problems were problems he himself created from his own stupidity and personality. He doesn't even have the ignorance defense with coming into sudden money since he was already a millionaire at the time. IMO he was just a good ol'boy who let his lottery win accelerate problems he already had. He was from W.Virginia but that wasn't the lottery he won, he won what was at the time, the biggest jackpot in lottery history with a $315M Powerball win.

Top it off, after supposedly losing all the money due to some story of thieves breaking into several of his accounts at once and taking it and he and his wife wishing they would have torn the ticket up, he kept playing and won again ($10,000 prize this time) almost exactly a year ago, being only one number off from another jackpot. Jack last December he pleaded guilty for driving on a suspended license, though I guess that was a charge from 2006 from what I just read and they just got around to going to court or whatever.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200812160688

Anyway, as I've said many times, if I could, my main reason for creating the trust is so my name and image wouldn't be plastered all over the news and on the internet for all to see. Once it's online it's pretty much there forever... Or well until the pages on the sites hosting it are deleted and even still they can be accessed. Now of course I wouldn't be totally safe since someone can go and look up info on the Trust to see who they are but I would think that for the most part the average person isn't going to go through the effort and the media doesn't seem to bother either since we've seen numerous Trusts claim jackpots and be quickly forgotten. Then the other thing is, from having learned from past winners who have screwed up and learn from it and maybe learn something from those who few that we know of that are doing perfectly fine.

You can't predict random.

United States
          Member #72085
          March 9, 2009
          6 Posts
          Posted: March 9, 2009, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I would be concerned over the safety of my kids. Plus, i like to fly under the radar, anyways....so the less personal info and pictures of me out there, the better!