Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Warning about "Free Lottery" sites

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 8 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23260 Posts
Posted: March 6, 2009, 9:03 am - IP Logged

If you ever are tempted to register at a "free lotto" site, I have put together this post to try to shake some sense into you!

This morning someone signed up and tried to post a link to a "free Powerball ticket" site, and so for kicks I checked it out.  It turned out to be a great lesson in why you should never register at one of those sites.

If you think you're actually getting a free lottery ticket, think again.

If you think somehow the law must be keeping free lottery sites honest, think again.

If you think it's harmless to pass along a few pieces of personal information, think again.

If you think, "Hey, it's worth the small risk", think again.

These "free lottery" web sites rely on the fact that you're going to skip past the terms and conditions, because nobody really reads those things.  They just enter their information lickedy-split and click Confirm.  The "I Agree" checkbox is more of an annoyance than a warning.

The bottom line, which I will step you through in a moment, is that these "free lottery" web sites almost certainly do not purchase the tickets they promise, and even if they did, are structured in such a way that if your ticket won the jackpot you would likely never know, and even if you did know, you have no ownership or protection of the ticket, and they can easily keep the prize for themselves.

To add insult to injury, these companies promise to sell your personal information and you waive all rights to what they do with your information, including any mis-use of your information, and you give up your right to ask or demand that they stop selling your information — forever.

Let me show you what I found when I examined the terms and conditions in the "free Powerball ticket" site.  My comments are in bold, followed by the actual unaltered text from the term and conditions.

Your personal information is going to be sold to several companies.

"In providing the Service, GoVista Marketing, LLC must make and retain copies of Customer information as submitted by customer through their use of the Service. In exchange for good and valuable consideration provided to Customer, each Customer grants to GoVista Marketing, LLC the right to use, reproduce, display, distribute, and sell information collected from or about Customer during their use of the Service, in any manner, and for any purpose, without limitation."

If one of those companies does something bad with your personal information, you can't do anything about it.

"Customer waives all claims and rights against GoVista Marketing, LLC and / or any user of data supplied by GoVista Marketing, LLC under this agreement."

All those companies that bought your information will be contacting you. (And you can't do anything about it.)

"Customer understands that said collected information will be used for marketing purposes and Customer will be contacted directly by GoVista Marketing, LLC partners, data purchasers, advertisers, and the like. Customer agrees to be contacted by GoVista Marketing, LLC and its affiliates and as such, waives all rights and claims against GoVista Marketing, LLC, its advertisers, affiliates, partners, and the like."

You won't actually own the lottery ticket that they supposedly buy.  Unlike a butler service, this is not necessary from a legal perspective because you're not BUYING the lottery ticket, so it is ONLY being done in order to steal the prize from you.  (If they happen to buy the ticket.)

"At no time does ownership of any Powerball ticket transfer ownership. All tickets purchased by GoVista Marketing, LLC remain property of GoVista Marketing, LLC."

Don't forget to write down that number you picked, because they won't tell you if you won.

"Upon a Powerball drawing corresponding to the Customer's successful registration, it is Customer's responsibility to contact GoVista Marketing, LLC in the event they believe their selected Powerball numbers are winning numbers - under the rules of the Powerball Lottery."

Unlike the Minnesota Lottery (where this company supposedly buys its tickets), if you don't contact this company in 30 days, you lose your "ticket".

"Winnings not claimed within 30 days of the drawing are forfeited by the Customer and shall become property of GoVista Marketing, LLC."

If you win, the company is actually the winner.

"A service & handling fee of 20% of all winnings shall be retained by GoVista Marketing, LLC."

Their terms protect the company when they DON'T BUY THE TICKET that they promise.  They could even plant a spambot on your PC and not be held liable.

"GoVista Marketing, LLC also disclaims any warranty that (i) the Service will be free of delays or interruptions, (ii) the Service will be spam-free or error-free, (iii) the Service will be free of non-delivery or misdelivery, or of negligence or omissions, (iv) all errors in the Service will be detected or corrected, (v) Customer content, information or data will be secure or that Customer content, information or data will be preserved or free from loss."

If you win, they can terminate your account and say your entry was invalid.

"GoVista Marketing, LLC may terminate Customer accounts, and access to all or part of the Service, for any reason and without notice."

And the kicker:  you cannot write to them and ask for your information to be removed.  (I think that may be illegal.)

"GoVista Marketing, LLC will not provide notice of termination. Upon termination of any Customer account, GoVista Marketing, LLC has the right to retain Customer information and does not have an obligation to delete any of the Customer's content, information and data on GoVista Marketing, LLC's equipment or systems."

•  •  •  •  •  •  • 

I hope I can convince you:  never, never, never sign up with a "free lottery" service, because you're not going to win a prize, and you are going to suffer when your personal information is sold and mis-used.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
    MICHIGAN
    United States
    Member #65282
    September 22, 2008
    1992 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2009, 9:09 am - IP Logged

That's what i like about u TODD, U keep us WELL informed

Thanks for the 411!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
      Beautiful Florida
      United States
      Member #5709
      July 18, 2004
      20107 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2009, 9:17 am - IP Logged

This is so true..

" These "free lottery" web sites rely on the fact that you're going to skip past the terms and conditions, because nobody really reads those things.  They just enter their information lickedy-split and click Confirm.  The "I Agree" checkbox is more of an annoyance than a warning ".

Solid information Todd, everyone should READ and HEED....!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: March 6, 2009, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Thanks,Todd.The big print gives it to you...the small print socks it to you!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: March 6, 2009, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

This is very useful information for people who believe that these type of places are honest and are worth giving a try! Thank you for taking the time to warn people about these "free lotterys" Todd.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
            Member #45970
            September 1, 2006
            4763 Posts
            Posted: March 6, 2009, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the information Todd!

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
              Dallas, TX
              United States
              Member #60284
              April 12, 2008
              3856 Posts
              Posted: March 6, 2009, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

That's why people wonder why they get unwanted mail, and offers. Always read the terms before singing up to anything, not just the site.

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: March 6, 2009, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

are you talking about websites that you pay for the tickets and they claim to buy it for you circumventing the law or are you talking about free lottery websites...or are you talking about both...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

jmill1948's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  colonial heights
                  United States
                  Member #31712
                  February 2, 2006
                  12264 Posts
                  Posted: March 6, 2009, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

all i can say is thanks for the update.............I would never go elsewhere for info anyway........we have the best site right here and its free.............lovin it........

when you do it do it right the first time...........

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: March 6, 2009, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

all i can say is thanks for the update.............I would never go elsewhere for info anyway........we have the best site right here and its free.............lovin it........

nothing is free....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                      Member #48046
                      December 7, 2006
                      1699 Posts
                      Posted: March 6, 2009, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

nothing is free....

exactly Pumpi,     Thats why Todd wants us to avoid those sites.

I't's  Free to exchange ideas on Lottery Post though.

Thanks Bottle Washer, Chief.

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                        NC
                        United States
                        Member #11741
                        February 23, 2005
                        1233 Posts
                        Posted: March 6, 2009, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the information Todd.

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

lank's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                          albany georgia
                          United States
                          Member #55707
                          October 15, 2007
                          565 Posts
                          Posted: March 6, 2009, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Todd, I really do appreciated all the hard work you do for this site. This is the best site in the world only because of you and the many other people on this site. Again Thank YOu Very MuchSun Smiley

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23260 Posts
                            Posted: March 6, 2009, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

@all: Thanks for the great feedback!  I'm glad to hear that you're finding the info useful. I love the fact that this web site allows people to share important info that can save them money and big headaches later on.  I learn just as much from other people who share here!

@pumpi76: As the subject and text indicates, this is about FREE Lotto or FREE Lottery Ticket sites.  In fact, at one point it draws a clear distinction between FREE site and butler services, in that it shows the under-handedness of the FREE sites.

That's not to say that there are scammy (or outright scamful) butler services.  (How do you like the terms I just made up?  "Scammy" and "scamful", indicating degrees of scamminess.) Smiley 

Bad butler services do exist, and I have highlighted some of them in the past.  I just don't want to go off on a tangent in this thread — I'd rather keep it focused on the FREE Lotto sites.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #59855
                              March 29, 2008
                              31514 Posts
                              Posted: March 6, 2009, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd!  I went on some kind of site without reading the fine print and ended up with a voice mail service added to my AT&T phone bill each month for $9.02 extra a month. 

I happened to catch it the first time it was on my bill and called the phone company & they said it was an independent co. so got the number for them and called and gave them a piece my mind and finally got it cancelled.  The co. name was ILD Teleservices, Inc....I guess the site I logged onto gave them my info and said I wanted their service and I knew absolutely nothing about it until the bill came.

Come to find out they said I must have filled out a survey or logged on some type of free site and the fine print said I allowed this service to be added to my phone service.  I told AT&T I could not believe they even did business with such an unscrupulous company but these days you'd be surprised what goes on.

At first they said I'd have to have it for 3 months and get a refund after paying it for that long and I told AT&T that I'd stop business with them and then they agreed to give me a credit each time before my bill was mailed out after I got the credit from the company...it was a real headache to clear up.

Thanks again for warning everyone about this...I know it firsthand and never ever go on any of those sites again.