Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Next HUGE jackpot winner..Working class hero/enemy??

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 8 years ago by petergrfn.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Will the Public sentiment be Hate or Love for jackpot winner?

Public will hate Jackpot Winner [ 8 ]  [16.00%]
Public will Like Jackpot Winner [ 9 ]  [18.00%]
Public won't care [ 30 ]  [60.00%]
Other [ 3 ]  [6.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: March 19, 2009, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm hearing people's RAGE at the AIG bonuses and other RICH folks and it makes me wonder.  Will the public consider the next large jackpot winner 300 Million or more a hero of out economic times or an enemy??  A greedy person who should be hated or someone who provides excapism for troubled times.   I see troubling evidence such as.... Congress passing an law seizing 90% of the bonuses promised to AIG execs...and phone calls I have heard on CNN calling for violence to AIG execs.  I personally feel these AIG bonuses were in bad taste and shouldn't have been given.   But they were in contracts provided for in the stimulus bill and shouldn't be punished after the fact by the law.   Will people who feel that execs of a company they feel is greedy do the same against a lottery winner??   I'm not sure people wouldn't make the connection that AIG execs took tax payer money and the lottery winner won a huge bundle of taxpayer money.     Either way keeping your identity and location secret would be my TOP priority during these turbulant times!     I feel that wealthy people will be unpopular because of the Recessioin and people being out of work and needing an scapegoat for tough times.   So my vote is that a LARGE 400 or 500 million would be a easy scapegoat for people..and they would dislike seeing someone with hundreds of millions when they are laid of work.

What do you think?

(Sorry if this post is too long!)

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: March 19, 2009, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm hearing people's RAGE at the AIG bonuses and other RICH folks and it makes me wonder.  Will the public consider the next large jackpot winner 300 Million or more a hero of out economic times or an enemy??  A greedy person who should be hated or someone who provides excapism for troubled times.   I see troubling evidence such as.... Congress passing an law seizing 90% of the bonuses promised to AIG execs...and phone calls I have heard on CNN calling for violence to AIG execs.  I personally feel these AIG bonuses were in bad taste and shouldn't have been given.   But they were in contracts provided for in the stimulus bill and shouldn't be punished after the fact by the law.   Will people who feel that execs of a company they feel is greedy do the same against a lottery winner??   I'm not sure people wouldn't make the connection that AIG execs took tax payer money and the lottery winner won a huge bundle of taxpayer money.     Either way keeping your identity and location secret would be my TOP priority during these turbulant times!     I feel that wealthy people will be unpopular because of the Recessioin and people being out of work and needing an scapegoat for tough times.   So my vote is that a LARGE 400 or 500 million would be a easy scapegoat for people..and they would dislike seeing someone with hundreds of millions when they are laid of work.

What do you think?

(Sorry if this post is too long!)

I doubt that few Americans will make a connection between a lucky lottery winner and thieving Wall Street executives.The difference is like night and day...there is NO comparison!

pepper1's avatar - batman38
      hotatlanta
      United States
      Member #70664
      February 8, 2009
      1446 Posts
      Posted: March 19, 2009, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I doubt that few Americans will make a connection between a lucky lottery winner and thieving Wall Street executives.The difference is like night and day...there is NO comparison!

I think what will set people off when they see someone win who has a job are they already have money. It different when there is someone who really need the money peope are happy for that person.

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2009, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

I think what will set people off when they see someone win who has a job are they already have money. It different when there is someone who really need the money peope are happy for that person.

I guess I don't understand the mentality of someone that would be pissed off because someone happened to get lucky.I can understand being pissed off at people (including politicians) that STEAL from the American taxpayer.Personally,I'm always happy for lottery winners,maybe just a little bit jealous of them,too,but never mad at them for being lucky.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: March 19, 2009, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

I guess I don't understand the mentality of someone that would be pissed off because someone happened to get lucky.I can understand being pissed off at people (including politicians) that STEAL from the American taxpayer.Personally,I'm always happy for lottery winners,maybe just a little bit jealous of them,too,but never mad at them for being lucky.

I Agree! Well said!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
            Republic of Texas
            United States
            Member #57557
            January 9, 2008
            1095 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2009, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

You cannot compare the luck of hitting the lottery jackpot to stealing from the public.  Although there are always people out there who think that the "haves", regardless of how they became one of the "haves", must share with the "have nots".  Don't get me wrong, I do believe in charity - a private decision to help others based upon a true wish to help.  These days, people want those who are the "haves" to be ashamed that they "have" when others do not, and that they must be forced through taxation to assist others. 

I also think that these days there will be more requests for help, and more people putting their hands out because they believe a lottery winner should share more.

I give where I see a genuine need, of my own free will. And there are plenty of genuine needs out there.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

United States
              Member #58528
              February 18, 2008
              710 Posts
              Posted: March 19, 2009, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

You cannot compare the luck of hitting the lottery jackpot to stealing from the public.  Although there are always people out there who think that the "haves", regardless of how they became one of the "haves", must share with the "have nots".  Don't get me wrong, I do believe in charity - a private decision to help others based upon a true wish to help.  These days, people want those who are the "haves" to be ashamed that they "have" when others do not, and that they must be forced through taxation to assist others. 

I also think that these days there will be more requests for help, and more people putting their hands out because they believe a lottery winner should share more.

I give where I see a genuine need, of my own free will. And there are plenty of genuine needs out there.

I Agree!Well said.I couldn't agree more.Just because someone has money doesn't mean they stole it.If they earned it legally or won it legally,it should be up to them how they spend it.You or me should NOT have anything to say how they spend it.On the other hand,if they came by their money illegally they should spend some time in prison and their ill gotten gains should be forfieted.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5118 Posts
                Posted: March 19, 2009, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Well said!

I Agree!>>>>>>>>>>>.......with WELL said!

but, chris dogg's & airhead nancey^^

will pass a law 2 take back UR win if

they think it is 2 munch 4U2 HANDLE!

GEEEEEEEEEEEEWHIZZZZZZZZBANG!

"IT JUST CAN't GET's>>NO BUTTEN!"

dan D bubb's>>>>>>>DAT>>OK!!!

LOL

psykomo

United States
                  Member #26330
                  November 16, 2005
                  330 Posts
                  Posted: March 19, 2009, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I wasn't comparing stealing taxpayer money to the good fortune of winning of the lottery.  I'm saying people's sense of entitlement to other's money.   Some folks feel if you are "undeserveing of the money that you should forfeit most of it to others.    It ould be the Gov't or a Private Citizen.   So my question is if other people feel some people didn't "deserve" money that their work contracts allowed them then what's to keep them from your lotto winnings??  Who's to say that you are "deserving" of millions of dollars from Poor taxpayers?    Some might say that that money needs to be redistributed to the larger group of tax payers who bought lotto tickets but lost.    Since Lotto corporations are partly Gov't entities Congress could easily impose a 50-90% tax on "FAT CAT" lotto winners.   What's the point of being rich if the money can be seized by the Gov't??

United States
                    Member #58528
                    February 18, 2008
                    710 Posts
                    Posted: March 19, 2009, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I wasn't comparing stealing taxpayer money to the good fortune of winning of the lottery.  I'm saying people's sense of entitlement to other's money.   Some folks feel if you are "undeserveing of the money that you should forfeit most of it to others.    It ould be the Gov't or a Private Citizen.   So my question is if other people feel some people didn't "deserve" money that their work contracts allowed them then what's to keep them from your lotto winnings??  Who's to say that you are "deserving" of millions of dollars from Poor taxpayers?    Some might say that that money needs to be redistributed to the larger group of tax payers who bought lotto tickets but lost.    Since Lotto corporations are partly Gov't entities Congress could easily impose a 50-90% tax on "FAT CAT" lotto winners.   What's the point of being rich if the money can be seized by the Gov't??

For one thing winning a lottery isn't exactly "taking millions of dollars of taxpayers money".Yes the money came from taxpayers (and non-taxpayers,alike) but it isn't a tax,the money came from millions of people who bought tickets that they knew had little chance to win.The people spent their money on tickets knowing that someone would eventualy win and it probably won't be them.But they had just as much of a chance to win as anyone else did.In short,you pays yore money and you takes yore chances.I see no reason for anyone to be mad at anyone here.

If the AIG case wasn't so damn serious it would be funny.Here you have the supposed best and brightest folks in the country screwing everything up out of greed and incompetance,and then getting bonus's for that incompetance.Then you have the United States Senate & Congress passing bailout bills that nobody read that resulted in those bonus's and then you have a brand new president that thinks he's the reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln signing the flawed bill that allows bonus's for AIG and other Wall Street crooks.

And you want to know if lotterry winners wll face bigger taxes on their winnings?The answer is yes.Somebody has to pay for Washingtons screwups.And the lottery winners are the only folks left with any money.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                      Dallas, TX
                      United States
                      Member #60284
                      April 12, 2008
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2009, 2:05 am - IP Logged

To me, I am happy for the winner since they won it by luck (even if they used a system/mehod). For those that steals and became rich from it, well, once others finds out they will be hated. The two cannot be compared, they're not on the same level.

takeitez's avatar - japheth
                        Carters Lake, Ga.
                        United States
                        Member #5313
                        June 29, 2004
                        1065 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2009, 8:35 am - IP Logged

I Agree!>>>>>>>>>>>.......with WELL said!

but, chris dogg's & airhead nancey^^

will pass a law 2 take back UR win if

they think it is 2 munch 4U2 HANDLE!

GEEEEEEEEEEEEWHIZZZZZZZZBANG!

"IT JUST CAN't GET's>>NO BUTTEN!"

dan D bubb's>>>>>>>DAT>>OK!!!

LOL

psykomo

I wonder about myself sometimes. I am starting to understand psykomo and even to agree with him!

ez

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........

tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                          The Great Smoky Mountains
                          United States
                          Member #59921
                          March 31, 2008
                          266 Posts
                          Posted: March 20, 2009, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Thy should not covart there neighboor.

Jealousy is wrong I think. Noone should be jealous of what another has.

I Agree!*** You Can't Win, If You Don't Enter***

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19822 Posts
                            Posted: March 20, 2009, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I have yet to see a lottery jackpot winner who cared about public sentiments.  It's normal for some folks to feel winning a lottery jackpot is a blessing that should happen to folks who cares about others problems and will share it with others or are deserving like themselves even if they never bought a ticket but winning a lottery jackpot isn't like winning a political office that makes one a public figure with responsible to the community.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                              Member #52345
                              May 21, 2007
                              2657 Posts
                              Posted: March 20, 2009, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I wonder about myself sometimes. I am starting to understand psykomo and even to agree with him!

ez

Big Grin... yer just starting to wonderGreen laugh

its a wee bit difficult to understand psykomo @ first ...... but he never fails to make me laugh