Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Taking lotto slips is a criminal act?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by edge.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #54390
August 17, 2007
313 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2009, 3:37 am - IP Logged

really really weird. went to the liquor store to pick up some pop.  I grabbed 10 Daily games slips so I can take them home and fill them out instead of filling them out at the store.  The cashier yelled at me in some foreign language( I think he was Indian) and said to put it back.  I told him that I'm going to take them home to fill it out and give it to him in the morning.  He said "put them back, get out , or I'll call the police!!!".   Geez, did I do anything wrong? Is taking a  bunch of play slips against the law?  They're free from the state!!

I'm tired, it's been a weird day.

vfigures's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
    Oakley,CA
    United States
    Member #66896
    November 10, 2008
    198 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2009, 4:31 am - IP Logged

If it is a crime I should be in jail, I play so much the guy at my store gives me a whole unopened pack when I need them.

OrganzaPendant_vfigures1.gif picture by vondafigures

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      williamsburg,ohio
      United States
      Member #71029
      February 17, 2009
      603 Posts
      Posted: March 30, 2009, 5:18 am - IP Logged

hope its not a crime i be in jail also.

i got a stack of them here on my desk.

Surrender

The Hitman's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
        Fayetteville Georgia
        United States
        Member #71666
        March 1, 2009
        4885 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2009, 5:36 am - IP Logged

if it is a crime,  guess i am guilty too.  I have a car full of them.

grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
          williamsburg,ohio
          United States
          Member #71029
          February 17, 2009
          603 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2009, 5:44 am - IP Logged

my son-in-law went into a store one day when he was with me and i asked him to see if they had something to do with the lottery and he came back with a stack of diferent games the onwer of the store gave him .so i guess the store owner is in trouble also now LOL

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1272 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2009, 7:14 am - IP Logged

You should call the lottery company and ask about this and give them the name of the store.

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
              Member #63356
              July 26, 2008
              1427 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2009, 7:26 am - IP Logged

You had a bad day!  I would go BACK to the same store and take TWICE the amount of tickets and see if the joker says anything to you.  If he wants to call the cops, wait for them to come and watch the sparks fly - towards him!  I would have been laughing so hard that when the cops came I wouldn't be able to get words out. ROFL!!  Yes, it would have been that funny to me, no I would not have been angered, but overly amused.

You were not stealing.  You were doing what every lotto player does, keep a supply of tickets for your use.  And if the joker wants to make an issue of it, go along with it.  The police may even fine him for making that call to 911 for a false report. 

I don't let folks like that push me around, I stand up to them, even at my age.  I won't let these kids that have no respect for their elders disrespect me either.  I even invited one out to the street in one store.  Pssst... I would have ran fast if they took me up on it!  LOL!!! 

Worst case senario?  You could be shot for robbery?  LOL!  J/K

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: March 30, 2009, 9:38 am - IP Logged

really really weird. went to the liquor store to pick up some pop.  I grabbed 10 Daily games slips so I can take them home and fill them out instead of filling them out at the store.  The cashier yelled at me in some foreign language( I think he was Indian) and said to put it back.  I told him that I'm going to take them home to fill it out and give it to him in the morning.  He said "put them back, get out , or I'll call the police!!!".   Geez, did I do anything wrong? Is taking a  bunch of play slips against the law?  They're free from the state!!

"Geez, did I do anything wrong?"

You went into the wrong store.

"Is taking a bunch of play slips against the law?"

No. Not yet.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23259 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2009, 10:11 am - IP Logged

What an idiot. Conehead

Something like that would prompt me to write an e-mail to the state lottery, noting the name and location of the store.  They take these things seriously, because if the person did it to you, they most certainly have done the same thing to others.

It's not like the stores pay for the lottery slips -- they get them for free.

I agree with time*treat:  don't go to that store again.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3102 Posts
                    Posted: March 30, 2009, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Unless you were taking the last 10 slips for that game in the store, then the guy might make a case for not wanting to disappoint his other customers.  Though the threat to call the cops was certainly over the top, wonder if he had a gun under the counter as well.   Call the lottery and report the store, let lottery security know one of their agents is doing his job a little too well.

BobP

AriesDaRam's avatar - nw gingfighter.jpg
                      Stone Mtn
                      United States
                      Member #64518
                      August 30, 2008
                      1157 Posts
                      Posted: March 30, 2009, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

What an idiot. Conehead

Something like that would prompt me to write an e-mail to the state lottery, noting the name and location of the store.  They take these things seriously, because if the person did it to you, they most certainly have done the same thing to others.

It's not like the stores pay for the lottery slips -- they get them for free.

I agree with time*treat:  don't go to that store again.

I Agree! You were truly dealing with an idiot!

The stores that I play in always tell me to take some with me. They like it when the slips are already filled out. That's less traffic in the store when they can just slide your tickets and keep you moving. Every store that I play in is like that. Everything runs a lot smoother when everybody slips are filled out. This keeps the lines shorter and the store more managable.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: March 30, 2009, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

You didn't do anything wrong. The slips are there to take. Every now and then, I take a handful of slips for different games because that way I have enough at home. Plus, I never fill out my playslips at the store. I think the store clerk was being a jerk. I would also contact the lottery office and not do business at that store again.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                          NC
                          United States
                          Member #11741
                          February 23, 2005
                          1233 Posts
                          Posted: March 30, 2009, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I'd be in jail with a lot of folk here and in Virginia.  The store where I go don't care how many you take nor does the grocery store. I would go back and take the tickets and buy them at another store! lol....but that is just me...lol

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

lotterywannawin's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #56297
                            November 12, 2007
                            395 Posts
                            Posted: March 30, 2009, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I guess that I committed a crime too.  Because I am always taking a handful of slips from the store.  The owner of the store see me and never say anything. One day he told me that he like it when I use the slips and wished that more people would use slips, because  it would make his job easier.

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                              Member #45970
                              September 1, 2006
                              4763 Posts
                              Posted: March 30, 2009, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I'm given an unopened pack to take home and fill out. It takes me about 6-9 months to go through an entire pack.