Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Taking lotto slips is a criminal act?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by edge.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
Dallas, TX
United States
Member #60284
April 12, 2008
3856 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2009, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

Just don't go there, it have bad mojo. I usually take half of what's available of each games, I have a stack here, and a stack at the office. Sometimes I work late and can't get home in time I just open up my excel and get the numbers, fill in the slips, and buy the tickets on the way home.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31533 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2009, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

You didn't do anything wrong.  Call lottery and report the store.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
      Member #26330
      November 16, 2005
      330 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2009, 11:58 am - IP Logged

No I don't think it's an actual crime to take playslips and bring them back.   However in some stores people take too many and don't return so I guess the owner gets angry about having to refill the box.    Do owner's have to pay for the playslips?? Or does the state send them the slips for free??  It just depends on the store owner I guess.  I've been to some Gas stations where they get angry if you take more than a few minutes to grab something and make a purchase.   I guess it's the owners perception of the people in his/her store....if they are there to shoplift...or grab a whole wad of playslips and not return.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3112 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2009, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I'm not going to even try to pretend I know what the deal is for every lottery in every state and country.  I know in Florida it isn't all that easy to get a lottery terminal franchise.  The rep visits stores keeping the lottery display clean, replaces the scratch off odds sheet, fills the pencils and slips and stores extras under the display.  I don't doubt slower locations are visited less often and get fewer slips, so it is possible they can run out and not be quickly resupplied.  Though they can always hand enter combinations, it would be annoying and time wasting.   Store owners in crime areas are already a bit crazy and primed to go off.  They see someone wandering around, then take a bunch of play slips, if they own the store they can make the decision right then and there they don't need you as a "customer" and chase you off.  When something like this happens take a quick inventory as to how you may have looked to others that day, forget to shave, comb your hair, wearing a hoodie?  Employees, you never know how they might interpret their instructions for dealing with loiterers.  When the store owner is foreign there my be no common ground beyond the exchange of currency. 

BobP

New York, NY
          United States
          Member #13514
          April 7, 2005
          235 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2009, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

No you did not do anything wrong.  I do that all the time.  Being I wheel numbers I simply figure out which number combinations I will play and then fill out my slips at home.  You don't PAY for blank lotto slips.  He was being foolish.  I wold play my slips elsewhere that way when you win someone else beneifts from the bonus money the stores get when they have a winner.

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
            Member #68609
            December 26, 2008
            2204 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2009, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

in NY , in front of lottery slips stand one finds a sign that says "please take one", sign is ignored often:) many slips for certain games are missing, no one yells though, they just gladly take your money with a smile:) advice: take your business to a competitor!

ab actu ad posse valet illatio - from the past one can infer the future