Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Consecutive numbers in the Pick 6 lottery have surprisingly high probability but still < 50%

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 8 years ago by edge.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NASHVILLE, TENN
United States
Member #33372
February 20, 2006
1044 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2009, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

IMHO, consecutive numbers are good but not good enough.  You will need about 11 more patterns to go with the consecutive numbers.  I employ 12 patterns and have found that 12 patterns reduces the field to a point where I might can afford to play.

What I have not found is an algorithym that will identify the next pattern and have that pattern hit.  Don't get me wrong.  I am not looking for a method to win the lottory each and every time I play.  All I am asking of my computer is to be right at least four times a year and, having done that, flash green to alert me to play those numbers for they will surely hit.

Is that asking too much?  Now I ask you, is that asking too much!!?  Evidently the answer is a resounding "YES!".

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
    Member #68609
    December 26, 2008
    2204 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2009, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

New Jersey Pick 6 consecutives strike again, 3 in a  row

04/13/2009 03 04 07 13 27 48
    04/09/2009 10 24 27 28 31 47
    04/06/2009 04 05 24 32 39 43

ab actu ad posse valet illatio - from the past one can infer the future

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: April 13, 2009, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Ran this through my computer. Of the 13,983,816 total possibilities 6,924,764 combinations contained consecutive numbers - that is - IF my programming is correct.

I Agree!..

49 choose 6

consecscount

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
        Member #68609
        December 26, 2008
        2204 Posts
        Posted: April 14, 2009, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

nice, you made numerical confirmation of the mathematical probability results that consecutives will occur just below 50%

based on your first report: (not sure which one is correct, both fall < 50 %)

13,983,816 total possibilities 6,924,764 =  ~ 49.51 %

second results (one consecutive number)

13,983,816 total possibilities 5,430,040 =  ~ 38.3 %

based on larger data point sampling, you will approach 50% and theoretically should not exceed 50% if you do (excluding small margin of error) there is a bias.

how all this helps winning strategy? almost negligable, psychologically i am inclined not to play consecutives, so whole batches of plays are lost, choosing wrong consecutive amounts to the same thing
        so it is a zero sum game. paper was nice though, first mathematically substantiated result,  accepted by the Los Alamos archive (peer review is tough there)

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: April 14, 2009, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

nice, you made numerical confirmation of the mathematical probability results that consecutives will occur just below 50%

based on larger data point sampling, you will approach 50% and theoretically should not exceed 50% if you do (excluding small margin of error) there is a bias.

how all this helps winning strategy? almost negligable, psychologically i am inclined not to play consecutives, so whole batches of plays are lost, choosing wrong consecutive amounts to the same thing
          so it is a zero sum game. paper was nice though, first mathematically substantiated result,  accepted by the Los Alamos archive (peer review is tough there)

Edge

Consecutive numbers is a pattern worth considering.  Seeing that <50% seems to be the limiting factor for this pattern, then a quick look over the past drawings should give you a good indication whether to play consecutive numbers or give the pattern a pass.

Take the past x number of draws.  Determine what the next draw will do to the pattern.  If the next draw will send consecutive numbers past 50%, then you know to avoid the pattern.  If the pattern is well below 50%, then you should consider including the pattern for the next draw.  Where the conumdrum comes in is when you ( or your VBA Excel program) tells you that the pattern is right on the borderline between "going over" or "going even lower".  Figure out how to make the correct decision most of the time when you find yourself at this point and you are one step closer to winning the jackpot.

Now find other patterns that will do the same thing.

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
            Member #68609
            December 26, 2008
            2204 Posts
            Posted: April 14, 2009, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Edge

Consecutive numbers is a pattern worth considering.  Seeing that <50% seems to be the limiting factor for this pattern, then a quick look over the past drawings should give you a good indication whether to play consecutive numbers or give the pattern a pass.

Take the past x number of draws.  Determine what the next draw will do to the pattern.  If the next draw will send consecutive numbers past 50%, then you know to avoid the pattern.  If the pattern is well below 50%, then you should consider including the pattern for the next draw.  Where the conumdrum comes in is when you ( or your VBA Excel program) tells you that the pattern is right on the borderline between "going over" or "going even lower".  Figure out how to make the correct decision most of the time when you find yourself at this point and you are one step closer to winning the jackpot.

Now find other patterns that will do the same thing.

thanks GASMETERGUY

absolutely correct! in that sense there is an edge:) well than, take a look at the papers probability table i mentioned previously. in there you can see various % limits of not just consecutives but n-distance in general, in the same way as you have outlined, large data sampling and analyzing just on the threshold of limit, one can optimize distance "spread'" between the numbers.

for some reason i missed that in my argument.. large data set is required, limits need to be just on the threshold...

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2009, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

My numbers are in exact agreement with johnph77's total.

He gave the total number of combinations that had at least one consecutive number, I broke them down into 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s.

Can't say the info will provide everyone with a winning strategy, because not everyone will make the same choices.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

stribman's avatar - chi
                georgia
                United States
                Member #65527
                September 28, 2008
                417 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2009, 9:24 am - IP Logged

play pick 6? figure how big  would paper have to be to write down all possible numbers, one inch per number.  over 10 football fields.

NASHVILLE, TENN
                  United States
                  Member #33372
                  February 20, 2006
                  1044 Posts
                  Posted: April 19, 2009, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

play pick 6? figure how big  would paper have to be to write down all possible numbers, one inch per number.  over 10 football fields.

So true; so true.  And even should one go to the expense and record all possible combinations, what good would come of it? 

So what we do is write a computer program that will eliminate some combinations and record others.  With only one pattern, odd/even sums for example, you will still score many possibilities; too many to record in an Excel spreadsheet. 

So we add a second "filter", say, consecutive numbers.  We run the program again.  We get less possibilities but still too many to record.

Have at least 12 patterns and go again.  This time we will record between 50 and 1200 possibilities, depending on the filters and what we say we want.

While 1200 possibilities is way too many for most, if not all, of us, the total does fall within the realm of possibility ( i.e we could play that many if we wished ).  The trick is now to set 12 different, unrelated, random patterns correctly so we could win the jackpot at least every other day.  Good luck with that.

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: April 19, 2009, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!..

49 choose 6

consecscount

How can there be 5,430,040 combinations with 1 consecutive, when a Pick6/49 has 14 million combination..That doesn't sound right...Anyways i was referring to the right consecutives from 1 to 10....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: April 20, 2009, 2:23 am - IP Logged

How can there be 5,430,040 combinations with 1 consecutive, when a Pick6/49 has 14 million combination..That doesn't sound right...Anyways i was referring to the right consecutives from 1 to 10....

In the math forum, we usually do the calculations so that we don't have to rely on how something "sounds" or "feels". Try the mystical section.

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: April 20, 2009, 2:57 am - IP Logged

In the math forum, we usually do the calculations so that we don't have to rely on how something "sounds" or "feels". Try the mystical section.

Anyways i was referring to the right consecutives from 1 to 10..

between you and me, the one that believes most in mystical would be you more than me..Because you like most people believe that when you die you are going to visit little old daddy named God...Big grown man like you like most people believe in that crap...Who sounds mystical now...

i just said that i didn't think it sounded right and you went and tell me to try mystical...Who is offending who here....

And between you and me, i don't do stuff to impress other people that's where 99.9% of the global population fall for that folly....

you say that you dont' believe in God or Jesus, but i'll like to see you in your last days on this earth to see what you have to say...

but i forgive you because you like 99.99% of the population in the world believes that the Sun and all the heavinly constellations revolve around the Earth....how sorry...in real life i am very poor so por i can't afford health care and even so you are still more sorry than me, you and 99.9% of the population of this planet....

and if it wasn't for the fact that you timetreat helped me invent how to cure poverty in the world i would have send you to screw yourself a long time ago...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: April 20, 2009, 3:23 am - IP Logged

Anyways i was referring to the right consecutives from 1 to 10..

between you and me, the one that believes most in mystical would be you more than me..Because you like most people believe that when you die you are going to visit little old daddy named God...Big grown man like you like most people believe in that crap...Who sounds mystical now...

i just said that i didn't think it sounded right and you went and tell me to try mystical...Who is offending who here....

And between you and me, i don't do stuff to impress other people that's where 99.9% of the global population fall for that folly....

you say that you dont' believe in God or Jesus, but i'll like to see you in your last days on this earth to see what you have to say...

but i forgive you because you like 99.99% of the population in the world believes that the Sun and all the heavinly constellations revolve around the Earth....how sorry...in real life i am very poor so por i can't afford health care and even so you are still more sorry than me, you and 99.9% of the population of this planet....

and if it wasn't for the fact that you timetreat helped me invent how to cure poverty in the world i would have send you to screw yourself a long time ago...

oh son do you believe in UFO's; yes i do dad....Big grown folks like you believe in that crap...Only in America...

who is mystical now....

another fallacious belief....when i am in bed i am going to make my girlfriend/wife have 100 orgasm with my 6 inch winnie...Por favor wake up...

Honduras
                            Member #20982
                            August 29, 2005
                            4715 Posts
                            Posted: April 20, 2009, 4:57 am - IP Logged

but you might be a scientist and i have 1 question for you....There are some diseases that are spread from horses to humans, why because the mosquito drinks the blood of the animal infected and then infects it into another person....And i am just curious why doesn't Aids spreads that way, because i tell you, if Aids was spread that way maybe 98% of the population will have been eliminated...But Nature is a semi complex formula...Let me guess Nature, without a spirit set it that way, Nature all knowing Nature [and i say it with sarcasm], all knowing Nature allow this to happen this way...Por favor...

Let me guess, Nature makes regards, from the beging of life here on Earth nature already knew that if Aids was spread from a mosquito to a human it will kill all humans possible that's why it didn't allow it....Because after all Nature can think of some stuff, after all Nature thinks about all of us including OUR WELL BEIGN.....Por favor....Let me guess, Nature also thought about the size of the present day mosquito, when you realize that mosquitos in the time of the dinossaurs didn't have that size but where bigger....The all knowing nature did that right...Remember the bigger the mosquito the fartest distance it can fly and the longer it stays without eating and the more blood stays in their stomachs, let me guess another virus or the mosquito acidic stomach destroys it, i guess Nature thought of that also but it allow equine encephalopaty to spread from horse to human....Let me guess Nature thought of all this.....

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: April 20, 2009, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

but you might be a scientist and i have 1 question for you....There are some diseases that are spread from horses to humans, why because the mosquito drinks the blood of the animal infected and then infects it into another person....And i am just curious why doesn't Aids spreads that way, because i tell you, if Aids was spread that way maybe 98% of the population will have been eliminated...But Nature is a semi complex formula...Let me guess Nature, without a spirit set it that way, Nature all knowing Nature [and i say it with sarcasm], all knowing Nature allow this to happen this way...Por favor...

Let me guess, Nature makes regards, from the beging of life here on Earth nature already knew that if Aids was spread from a mosquito to a human it will kill all humans possible that's why it didn't allow it....Because after all Nature can think of some stuff, after all Nature thinks about all of us including OUR WELL BEIGN.....Por favor....Let me guess, Nature also thought about the size of the present day mosquito, when you realize that mosquitos in the time of the dinossaurs didn't have that size but where bigger....The all knowing nature did that right...Remember the bigger the mosquito the fartest distance it can fly and the longer it stays without eating and the more blood stays in their stomachs, let me guess another virus or the mosquito acidic stomach destroys it, i guess Nature thought of that also but it allow equine encephalopaty to spread from horse to human....Let me guess Nature thought of all this.....

i got another one for Scientist...Women, they are weaker than men why is that for in the animal kingdom they are as strong as the male and in some cases bigger than the male...But why in humans the women is weaker than men...Because if women were as strong as males, lots of women will have been kill and something tells me that their population will have been reduce, there would have been less women than men or less men than women, plus things will have looked different because the history would have been changed [talking about going back in time and changing the history], a lot of inventions wouldn't have happened, Galileo which was the first one to challenge the establishment and who started everything wouldn't have been born and we would have still be living in the dark ages and the Bible wouldn't have been written probably if women were as strong as males and if the bible wouldn't have been written again a lot of inventions wouldn't have been invented and we would have still be living in dark ages thinking that a stone can have sex with humans and who know what other crazy stuff, all except that the earth revolves around the sun and all the constellations....But again let me guess, Nature the all knowing Nature thought about all that, because after all Nature cares about our well beign...Por favor....Because after all Every living person is a ball in a grand lottery, a lottery that has pattern....But again the all knowing Nature who cares about our well beign thought about this....

And what about our legs, we have 2 of them, if we had others, a lot of stuff wouldn't have been invented and we would not be intelligent....Let me guess the all Knowing Nature of all the damn legs it could have given us, it decides to give humans 2 legs, because after all Nature cares about or well being..Por favor...

but don't be all happy for our Mathematics is way behind....