Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Going Broke?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 7 years ago by scorpio.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Have you spent large amount$ on lottery and had to cut back before you go broke?

No [ 26 ]  [32.91%]
Yes [ 48 ]  [60.76%]
Other [ 5 ]  [6.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 79 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
Midlands, SC
United States
Member #69698
January 14, 2009
303 Posts
Posted: June 11, 2009, 5:45 am - IP Logged

This just happened last night!  I've been playing powerball 37 for about 3 straight months every single week along with a few quick picks.  Well I'm in debt but I continued to play hoping for a break.....anyway this week after an unexpected doctor's visit that took the rest of my money for the month I realized that I didn't have anymore to waste on that darn powerball and pick 3 so I haven't played this week. 

Guess what the powerball was last night!  Yep!!!!!  I'm still cursing at myself this morning and I'm more pissed off than sad...I guess the sadness will set in later.  So this is what I get for trying to spend wisely and make it until my next payday.  It finally came out and here I am adding up the money I've spent every Wednesday & Saturday on that very number for the past few months and I just want to cry. 

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    Santa Ana
    United States
    Member #71159
    February 20, 2009
    651 Posts
    Posted: June 11, 2009, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

This is Lottery Karma at its worst...I'm so sorry to hear that you lost out on winning BIG last night Unhappyand I know how you feel; its as if they know in advance that if didn't play "your" numbers they will program it to hit the very day you don't play. I cannot count the number of times I've heard this same sad story; this makes me more determine to budget carefully and play no matter what--GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
      Midlands, SC
      United States
      Member #69698
      January 14, 2009
      303 Posts
      Posted: June 12, 2009, 12:56 am - IP Logged

This is Lottery Karma at its worst...I'm so sorry to hear that you lost out on winning BIG last night Unhappyand I know how you feel; its as if they know in advance that if didn't play "your" numbers they will program it to hit the very day you don't play. I cannot count the number of times I've heard this same sad story; this makes me more determine to budget carefully and play no matter what--GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Thanks  Dollar419....

It's funny you mentioned that awful word "budget" I was just thinking this week that on Saturday I will not leave the house until I've created a budget that allows me a specific amount to spend each month just for the powerball.  I've been spending blindly and it's finally caught up with me.  I don't know where my money goes...lol...but I'll know Saturday!

Good Luck 2 u 2!!!

:-)

United States
        Member #9579
        December 12, 2004
        2121 Posts
        Posted: June 12, 2009, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

i think of the lottery as a tax everyone chips in to pay the teachers retirements.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: June 12, 2009, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

This just happened last night!  I've been playing powerball 37 for about 3 straight months every single week along with a few quick picks.  Well I'm in debt but I continued to play hoping for a break.....anyway this week after an unexpected doctor's visit that took the rest of my money for the month I realized that I didn't have anymore to waste on that darn powerball and pick 3 so I haven't played this week. 

Guess what the powerball was last night!  Yep!!!!!  I'm still cursing at myself this morning and I'm more pissed off than sad...I guess the sadness will set in later.  So this is what I get for trying to spend wisely and make it until my next payday.  It finally came out and here I am adding up the money I've spent every Wednesday & Saturday on that very number for the past few months and I just want to cry. 

Think of it this way.  Hitting the powerball and no other numbers on the same line would have paid $3 and if you normally spent more than $3 then you're still ahead.  At worst you lost $3 minus the price of a ticket. You've lost that much before when you did play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #9579
            December 12, 2004
            2121 Posts
            Posted: June 12, 2009, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

and it was a repeat of a few weeks ago!

United States
              Member #24439
              October 22, 2005
              638 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2009, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

As I always say "do not get yourself cornered" Don't get yourself caught doing the same thing over and over.

If you are in a fixed position it is likely not to reach you in time.

That I think is the difference with Powerball and pick 3.

In pick 3, it is the only way to play at least making money to wait for it to come to you.

On Powerball, it is the wrong way to play.

If you play the same number, it might be cold for a long period of time.

When, if you played 2 Powerballs randomly, you at least cover your odds. After every 19 draws you will at least match the powerball.

United States
                Member #9579
                December 12, 2004
                2121 Posts
                Posted: June 16, 2009, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

the lottery isn't in it to give everyone a $3.00 win,that would bankrupt them!