Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The lottery machine is more random than the ball drawing...

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ca-dreamin*.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
DC81's avatar - batman39
MI
United States
Member #54830
August 31, 2007
985 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2009, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Another thing I have noticed is when purchasing multiple quick-picks.

I usually get repeats or simliar trends.

For example if I were to purchase 5 quick-picks these would be the computer-generated:

23-30-32-36-52

24-30-32-40-56

18-23-36-44-52

31-32-36-41-49

20-23-36-52-56

Pretty much no "low" numbers. And notable repeats in the same area.  Kinda interesting.

Yeah, that happens to me too if I buy five QPs at once and on one slip. I'm probably wrong but I imagine that the RNG software runs on a timer and doesn't seem to do well with making varied lines when several are to be printed. Same thing also happens to me when I get individual tickets at the same time and the person using the machine does it quickly. When there's a few second wait between them though it doesn't seem to happen nearly as often.

But in the end it really doesn't matter though I certainly wouldn't have high hopes for certain patterns of numbers or a number combination that has already either come up, or mostly come up.

You can't predict random.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: April 14, 2009, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

"The reason for some "patterns" on your QP is the source of the random "noise" is not fast enough to pick much different #'s."

For a computer 1/1000 of a second is a very long time. If QP's frequently have the same number(s) in multiple lines it's because of the programming, not because the time interval between generating the individual lines is too short.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
      Chicago
      United States
      Member #70678
      February 8, 2009
      889 Posts
      Posted: May 1, 2009, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

OK! Last night I broke down and bought a one dollar MM quick pick against my better wishes. I haven't been following the numbers and I really don't like QP's but I was buying some Little Lotto tickets so I decided ok one ticket........

LOL my numbers.......

5  12  15  17  18  - 18

HAHAHA if this ticket matches all 6 numbers this won't be luck! It will be a MIRACLE!!!!!!!!

That's it for me! I'll randomly choose numbers off the top of my head before I ever buy another QP!

Bloomfield Hills MI
        United States
        Member #74042
        May 1, 2009
        4 Posts
        Posted: May 1, 2009, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

15 comes up often that i noticed all these come up for me but not in a row lol

10-15-37-38-39 26

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19818 Posts
          Posted: May 1, 2009, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

"I WANT MY MONEY BACK."

When we ask for one QP, we are asking the lottery terminal to randomly generate just 1 of the over 175 million combinations and "45-49-50-51-52 (46)" happens to be one of them. From where I'm sitting it looks like you got exactly what you asked for.

If you know what the winning combination should look like before the drawing, put them on a play slip instead of asking the clerk for to generate a large number of QPs until you find the one you like.

If you know what the winning combination should look like before the drawing, put them on a play slip....

I've tried that and my numbers always look like winners until after the drawings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
            Queens, NY
            United States
            Member #245
            April 15, 2002
            451 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2009, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I usually play one card of my numbers and one card of quick picks. If the clerk puts my picks through the machine first the quick pick numbers seem to have quite a few numbers similar to those I picked. I'd rather have the ball drawing than the computer

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: May 1, 2009, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

People should get it through there heads that every ticket is a potential winner no matter how weird the numbers are. Bernadette Gietka said when she bought a mega millions ticket that there was no way these numbers could win she almost threw the ticket away.

Bernadette Gietka, who won $183 million in 2003

June 20, 2003 - $183 million 01 · 02 · 03 · 12 · 37    + 35

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7297 Posts
                Posted: May 1, 2009, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

I usually play one card of my numbers and one card of quick picks. If the clerk puts my picks through the machine first the quick pick numbers seem to have quite a few numbers similar to those I picked. I'd rather have the ball drawing than the computer

I noticed that too when I used a 14 or 15 number abbreviated wheel and rounded out the play slips by adding a QP. The QPs usually had at least 3 of the numbers from the wheel.

Roslindale, MA
                  United States
                  Member #5377
                  July 1, 2004
                  135 Posts
                  Posted: May 2, 2009, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

People should get it through there heads that every ticket is a potential winner no matter how weird the numbers are. Bernadette Gietka said when she bought a mega millions ticket that there was no way these numbers could win she almost threw the ticket away.

I Agree!....HOWEVER....

I still wouldn't be happy if I got stuck with a 01-02-03-04-05 (06) QP, because if I hit that pot would get split an awfully high number of ways.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: May 2, 2009, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Every ticket may be a potential winner  but  the odds were way against that ticket. I bought it very spur of the moment. I dislike QP's and I don't usually buy them. LOL I got caught up in all the buzz  about the 220 MILLON ! I did see the number 9 hit.....haha I told my friend at work I start my new route on the 9th cause that number is special  (it's really just the beginning of the new pay period) so he was gonna play the number 9!