Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you have the urge?...

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 8 years ago by diamondpalace.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

To play Mega Millions or Powerball that your state does not offer?

Yes, I have the urge to play Mega Million [ 12 ]  [24.00%]
I have the urge to play Powerball [ 14 ]  [28.00%]
My state have one (MM/PB) so no urge [ 15 ]  [30.00%]
Not my kind of games [ 3 ]  [6.00%]
other... [ 6 ]  [12.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
kent, washington
United States
Member #3509
January 26, 2004
465 Posts
Posted: April 14, 2009, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Do you have the urge to play Mega Millions/Powerball if your state don't offer it?

I have the urge to play Powerball, since TX only offer one multi-state jackpot game, Mega Millions right now.

Was curious to see if you have the urge to play other multi-state jackpot games that your state does not offer, at the moment.

i live in a mega state but i have plenty of powerball tickets.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: April 14, 2009, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

i live in a mega state but i have plenty of powerball tickets.

Do you live on the border of two states that one offer Mega and other Powerball? :P

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #61435
      May 22, 2008
      908 Posts
      Posted: April 14, 2009, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I drive 3 hours each way now to get 10 draws of mega......please start selling Mega here in FL. No Pity!

Dallas, TX
        United States
        Member #60284
        April 12, 2008
        3856 Posts
        Posted: April 14, 2009, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I drive 3 hours each way now to get 10 draws of mega......please start selling Mega here in FL. No Pity!

That's quite the dedication.

Dallas, TX
          United States
          Member #60284
          April 12, 2008
          3856 Posts
          Posted: April 14, 2009, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

I voted PB. I drive right up I-35 to Thackerville, OK and buy 10 draws at a time. Diamondpalace, it's only about an hour each way for me, and it would be about the same for you if you live around Dallas.

2 hours total to get some PB tickets...I guess I'll wait for when the jackpot is like 200+ millions to consider. The cost is $25 in gas for 2 hrs drive.

Dallas, TX
            United States
            Member #60284
            April 12, 2008
            3856 Posts
            Posted: April 14, 2009, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Hi Diamond!

I voted "other" because I live in a MM state and b/c my husband is a truck driver, he is able to pick up PB tickets when I get the urge.  So we kinda get the best of both worlds.  I guess it would be better if we could HIT one of them.  Lol...

Hi ChaChe,

Nice, your husband can pick up PB tickets. Good luck to you both!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2009, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

2 hours total to get some PB tickets...I guess I'll wait for when the jackpot is like 200+ millions to consider. The cost is $25 in gas for 2 hrs drive.

You may have to wait a while, $200M+ jackpots aren't that common.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3856 Posts
                Posted: April 15, 2009, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

You may have to wait a while, $200M+ jackpots aren't that common.

Don't mind waiting. When it gets that high, I'll give it a shot.

United States
                  Member #73221
                  April 8, 2009
                  15 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2009, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

I voted PB. I drive right up I-35 to Thackerville, OK and buy 10 draws at a time. Diamondpalace, it's only about an hour each way for me, and it would be about the same for you if you live around Dallas.

This gave me a giggle, as I live in Oklahoma City, and have sometimes felt the urge to play "Texas Two Step" or "Lotto Texas" when their jackpots got quite large (not long ago they were 2.15 million and 25 million, if I remember right).  Once I drove a ridiculous distance to and from Oklahoma City to Denison to buy tickets when both games had those big jackpots, and I've been known to slip over the border to buy tickets in one game or the other when I was in Oklahoma close to Texas.  So I've gone the opposite direction from you!

As for PB vs. MM, I've never felt that strong a desire to play MM.  I prefer to use PowerPlay on my PowerBall tickets and tell myself I'm playing for the second prize ($1 million with PowerPlay) rather than depend on the absurd odds against the big jackpot in either game.

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #21206
                    September 4, 2005
                    949 Posts
                    Posted: April 15, 2009, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I live in a border region and play either game depending on the expectation value, which means that I am playing less Powerball with the new odds.

I don''t play either when the Jackpots are low, but I play either when the values are high enough.

I'm in on the current MM, but not Powerball.   A few weeks ago it was the other way around.

Dallas, TX
                      United States
                      Member #60284
                      April 12, 2008
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2009, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

This gave me a giggle, as I live in Oklahoma City, and have sometimes felt the urge to play "Texas Two Step" or "Lotto Texas" when their jackpots got quite large (not long ago they were 2.15 million and 25 million, if I remember right).  Once I drove a ridiculous distance to and from Oklahoma City to Denison to buy tickets when both games had those big jackpots, and I've been known to slip over the border to buy tickets in one game or the other when I was in Oklahoma close to Texas.  So I've gone the opposite direction from you!

As for PB vs. MM, I've never felt that strong a desire to play MM.  I prefer to use PowerPlay on my PowerBall tickets and tell myself I'm playing for the second prize ($1 million with PowerPlay) rather than depend on the absurd odds against the big jackpot in either game.

That's interesting. I love Texas Two Steps, it's like a mini-Mega. Almost won the jackpot few times. See that you travel down to get those tickets, and we Texas travel up.

Dallas, TX
                        United States
                        Member #60284
                        April 12, 2008
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: April 15, 2009, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

I live in a border region and play either game depending on the expectation value, which means that I am playing less Powerball with the new odds.

I don''t play either when the Jackpots are low, but I play either when the values are high enough.

I'm in on the current MM, but not Powerball.   A few weeks ago it was the other way around.

It pays to live near the border of two games. Last year I was in Savannah, GA and only drove like 15 mins across to South Carolina to play Powerball. When the jackpot of the two games gets high, those living near the border gets the best of both worlds. :)

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #55889
                          October 23, 2007
                          5615 Posts
                          Posted: April 15, 2009, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Actually, I win more $ on Two Step than any other game, but of course the odds are much lower. I usually play power play and megaplier as I too wouldn't mind even hitting for a million.

You have a lot longer drive from OK City. Thackerville is only about 10 miles across the river. I used to drive to Marietta which is another 10 miles or so, until I found Thackerville. It's basically a cross road with a little store.

The only problem with Two Step is that the jackpots rarely make it over 500k if that, and I can't retire on that. But..... could still pay off bills and get the last 2 kids thru college without going into debt up to my ears. Can't be toooooo greedy I suppose LOL.

United States
                            Member #73221
                            April 8, 2009
                            15 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2009, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

That's interesting. I love Texas Two Steps, it's like a mini-Mega. Almost won the jackpot few times. See that you travel down to get those tickets, and we Texas travel up.

Well, you and RCB wave at me next time we drive past each other in opposite directions!

As RCB pointed out, the Two-Step doesn't get up to the big levels very often, but it is definitely very desirable when it does (as with the $2 million).  All the more reason for me not to miss a chance to buy tickets when it does!

Dallas, TX
                              United States
                              Member #60284
                              April 12, 2008
                              3856 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2009, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Well, you and RCB wave at me next time we drive past each other in opposite directions!

As RCB pointed out, the Two-Step doesn't get up to the big levels very often, but it is definitely very desirable when it does (as with the $2 million).  All the more reason for me not to miss a chance to buy tickets when it does!

You're right, it rarely goes more than 1 million, even 2 is quite the excitement. People win it all the time due to it being low in odds, going to work on a system to have my share. Most won by QP.