Welcome Guest
You last visited May 27, 2017, 3:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dateline NBC, Sunday May 3, Lottery clerks Who Cheat Players

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 8 years ago by WWW1.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
grandpajohn's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
williamsburg,ohio
United States
Member #71029
February 17, 2009
603 Posts
Posted: May 4, 2009, 2:59 am - IP Logged

Kaptainess,

I know of a store here where I live you can't play if you work there.If you want to play they have to go to another store.

The store where I play most of the time won't cheat me.For one I have known the owner for years and 2.She wants me to win big so I can buy her out LOL Every time I go in and she is there she says"John you win yet so you can but this place LOL

"Don't Give Up.Don't Ever Give Up"

Jim Valvano ex N.C.State basketball coach Thumbs Up

Columbia City, Indiana
    United States
    Member #2978
    December 9, 2003
    381 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2009, 4:36 am - IP Logged

lotocalgal

That might indeed be the case as they specifically mentioned the clerk saying the player had won $4, or maybe it's some kind of update on the case.

The theme of the show is finding people that didn't know they had money coming.

I actually conversed with Bob via PM shortly before the kid went to court for his sentencing hearing. He's really a compassionate guy, and offered some alternative suggestions to the prosecutor because he didn't want to see the kid go to jail for one act of stupidity. It really bothered him.

Bob joined LotteryPost.com with the screen name Bob21456, but no one here would believe he was who he claimed to be. The accusations he endured were terrible and embarrassing, and they just kept coming, even after he posted his picture. All he was trying to do was to explain his side of the story, after having been attacked for not checking his own tickets. He and his wife both knew that kid, as well as any of us know the clerk at our favorite retailer, so he never suspected the kid would try to rip him off.

Anyway, I'm glad things worked out for Bob, and I hope he wins a jackpot next time. Not just because he's a nice guy, but because he didn't let the money get the best of him. He put most of it in the bank once the lottery paid him, and said he was in no hurry to spend it. Good for him, and the best of luck to him and his family.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
      NC
      United States
      Member #11741
      February 23, 2005
      1233 Posts
      Posted: May 4, 2009, 5:29 am - IP Logged

I just finished watching this story on Dateline on their website.  It's  a shame how people prey on people like that, just think if an elderly person bought the ticket and got ripped off because its them who actually depend on the clerks to tell them the truth.  This just reinforces my #1 rule....My scratchers, I make a copy of my signed ticket front and back then I go straight to the lottery office if its over 600.00.  For the ones under 600.00 I make a copy and sign it anyway.  For my pick 3 tickets I tell them what I won..lol....I'm just lucky enough to not have it happen to me and I am thankful for that.  It's a shame.

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10460 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2009, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

jim695

Yeah, I remember those post Bob made and the controversey that went with them.

Watching his story on Dateline, I still had to wonder though, why would someone who would go home and watch a news tape on an online news site not check the numbers on the internet.

Still quite doesn't compute somehow.

(Bet ya a lot more people will be checking their own tickets now!)

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Everybody,

California undercover lottery inspector, what a job, huh!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ATLANTA, GA
          United States
          Member #74220
          May 5, 2009
          1 Posts
          Posted: May 5, 2009, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

what amount of responsibility do players have for not being stupid?  every state lottery web site has player security info / tips, or people could just read the back of the ticket.  but i am new to this so i may just be nieve.