Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I have a computer QUESTION..ANY HELP please!!

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 8 years ago by marlon39.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2009, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I have a serious problem with my HP...I have 4 colored columns in my monitor..they change shades sometimes blue..sometimes pinkish purple..sometimes green..I can shake my TOWER back and forth a little hard and they will change color on my monitor but will not disappear..its not my monitor..I went and rented a monitor and plugged it up to my tower and turned the computer on and still had 4 vertical colored columns..does anyone know what might be causing that..maybe a fuse or something..something simple that I could buy and replace myself..is it hard to replace a driver..all though I have no idea what that is what it does..hahaha..oh yeah..I csn click on the open window and make it small..then put the mouse on the window and move the window around and those 4 vertical columns will wipe out the window like and etchasketch kinda..then I can click on refresh and the window will come back but the colored verticall columns will not leave..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2009, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Have you try reinstalling the graphic card driver? Try that, and restart, if you are seeing the same thing it could be you need a new graphic card.

mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5903 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2009, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

how do you do that..do you need a disc or something..or can you go on the internet somewhere and do that?

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

mej023's avatar - avatar 5857.gif
        Greencastle, Indiana
        United States
        Member #74738
        May 19, 2009
        102 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2009, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

How old is it? Sounds like one of three possibilities.

Your graphic card needs to be firmly in it's slot.

The video cable plugged into the graphics card needs to be firmly connected.

Your graphic card is failing.

United States
          Member #41846
          June 23, 2006
          460 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2009, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

I have a serious problem with my HP...I have 4 colored columns in my monitor..they change shades sometimes blue..sometimes pinkish purple..sometimes green..I can shake my TOWER back and forth a little hard and they will change color on my monitor but will not disappear..its not my monitor..I went and rented a monitor and plugged it up to my tower and turned the computer on and still had 4 vertical colored columns..does anyone know what might be causing that..maybe a fuse or something..something simple that I could buy and replace myself..is it hard to replace a driver..all though I have no idea what that is what it does..hahaha..oh yeah..I csn click on the open window and make it small..then put the mouse on the window and move the window around and those 4 vertical columns will wipe out the window like and etchasketch kinda..then I can click on refresh and the window will come back but the colored verticall columns will not leave..

FIRST SHAKING THE TOWER WON'T FIX YOUR PROBLEM  BUT IT MAY CREATE MORE PROBLEMS.

you did not specify the operating system. I'll assume XP.  to update the driver  goto control panel,select system,hardware,device manager,display adapter,then double click will bring up menu . I would try troubleshoot option before you try to update adapter.

If you did not load any new software, then most likely is bad video display adapter.  that is probably built onto the mother board.

if you have an empty slot you can replace with a generic display adapter <$50.00  disable on board adapter in BIOS.

if you have loaded any new software it could simply be a software conflict.  try restoring your computer to an earlier date.

p8

mississippi
            United States
            Member #34478
            March 3, 2006
            5903 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2009, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

it is about 5 years old...

United States
              Member #41846
              June 23, 2006
              460 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2009, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

it is about 5 years old...

It could be vista but probably xp.  if you want to be sure goto start,programs accessories,system tools,system info,,  lots of generally useless info unless you need it.  it will show you what operating system you have. 

If you wath the display during boot up it will also tell you this info

p8

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2009, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

You go to HP website  and get updated drivers and some trouble shooting suggestions for your HP model.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mississippi
                  United States
                  Member #34478
                  March 3, 2006
                  5903 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2009, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

I have windows xp...I also went to hp.com d/l ed something they had there...hahaha..not sure what it was but I still have colored vertical columns in my monitor....I took the side panel off my tower just looking around while it was running...shook a few things with my fingers while it was on..the colored columns starting changing colors and was blinking off and on..mostly on..but never left..looks like I am just going to have to shut it down and put it in the shop..I cant hardly even see my screen because of those columns in the way..Thanks for all the advice everyone...

user044's avatar - Lottery-016.jpg
                    Upstate New York
                    United States
                    Member #48358
                    December 23, 2006
                    152 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2009, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Make sure your monitor and tower both have enough room to "breathe".( No clutter around them and nothing atop them).

Also make sure that the fan on the back of the tower(internal) is clear and that the vent holes in the tower box itself are not clogged with dust particles pet hair etc and make sure there is a decent amount of space between the tower and the wall so it can pull enough air to cool the inside. Also if you have never cleaned the inside of the tower might give that a shot.

Make doubly sure you dont have any audio speakers(especially the big ones) close to the monitor as this will adversley affect the colors on your monitor-had this happen once and had a nice little rainbow of pink blues and purples on both sides.

Otherwise Id have to agree with the others in that maybe you need to reinstall your drivers for the video card/chipset.

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49813 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2009, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

1) Have you made any Changes? (ie: Installed any software, Gone to known bad websites)

2) Check your Fans to see that they are running and NOT clogged with dust. (The Machine may be over heating)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

JAP69's avatar - alas
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #6
                        November 4, 2001
                        8790 Posts
                        Posted: June 5, 2009, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

A double barreled 12 gauge loaded with buckshot will take care of the problem.

MAGA

maddi2's avatar - the eye.png
                          Almost Heaven, WV
                          United States
                          Member #66741
                          November 5, 2008
                          163 Posts
                          Posted: June 5, 2009, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Run diagnostics on it! Had same problem about a month ago with my laptop, and it ended up being the VPU!

If you are a gamer, can get to hot and melt card! Have you opened up the cover and check for dust etc...as above!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"

United States
                            Member #54390
                            August 17, 2007
                            313 Posts
                            Posted: June 5, 2009, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Since you said it wasn't the monitor.

Buy a can of air.

Take the tower off.

Disconnect the graphics card

Spray air so the dust will fly out.

Make sure you get all of the holes and crevices

makes sure the port and card is clean

re-install.

If it doesn't work: re-install drivers

If that doesn't work, your graphics card and/or computer is dying.

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
                              Member #63356
                              July 26, 2008
                              1427 Posts
                              Posted: June 6, 2009, 12:30 am - IP Logged

Shaking the tower while on will do damage to your hard drive.  The hard drive is like a record (like the old 78 RPM's) and there is a needle that goes about reading the info from the disk enclosed in your hard drive - but much faster.  When you shake it, the needle is going so fast and it could do damage.

Shaking anything that is not working won't do the trick. 

Also you are touching things inside the computer?  Not a good idea.  Static electricity builds up and you can shock your computer to death.  Yes, ever touch something and get a shock?  Well, just imagine doing that to your computer!  Never touch anything inside your computer without discharging yourself, and being grounded.

What would you know what to touch anyway?  Maybe that part was supposed to be that way?

I would never buy an HP computer, ever, okay, if someone gave me one, I would sell it.  Sorry HP owners, I'm only being truthful.

Have you downloaded anything lately? 

Made changes of any kind to your computer? 

Have you tried to use 'RESTORE'?

Do you do a back up regularly?

Is there anyone else that uses the computer?  Did they make changes? 

Are all the pins in the cable there?  I had trouble years ago because one pin was missing.  It was my first computer, and I didn't really know what was going on.

Did you spill any liquid on the tower?

Loads of things can go wrong with the computer, and insurance is the best way to go.

Hope you get it fixed!