Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I have a computer QUESTION..ANY HELP please!!

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 7 years ago by marlon39.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: June 6, 2009, 1:05 am - IP Logged

Just use a hammer. It works on pretty much everything.

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
    Member #63356
    July 26, 2008
    1427 Posts
    Posted: June 6, 2009, 1:30 am - IP Logged

ROFL!!!  Geez!

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2009, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that it's pretty much impossible to shake a computer so hard that it screws up the software. That means that if shaking the towerr makes the colors change it's not a software problem. Having magnets too close to a monitor can disrupt the electron beam (assuming it's a CRT display and not an LCD), but I'm not sure that shaking would have an effect, as you're probably not moving the relative positions of the monitor and any magnets very much.

That makes the likely cause a loose connection of some kind. If the borrowed monitor had its own cable, then you're already ruled out  a cable problem. If not, that's the easy thing to try. If swapping a new cable in (or reseating the end in the tower, if you only connected the other end to the borrowed monitor) doesn't do the trick, that leaves the graphics card as the problem, assuming you have a graphics card. If so, reseat it, and if that fails replace it. Don't touch it without being grounded to the tower. Best bet is an anti-static wrist strap. In theory you can just stay in contact with the tower, but a strap should cost all of $5, so you're call. There's always the possibility that the graphics are built onto the motherboard. If so, there's hopefully an option for using a plug in card. Any computer shop should be able to help you figure out what you need. FTM, if you buy a decent card from a real shop (not Best Buy, CompUSA, etc) they'll probably install it free or dirt cheap. If it's a low end machine there may not be an option for a card. I can't really imagine a motherboard that wouldn't offer the option, but maybe they can save 10 cents by doing so. In that case the practical solution is to buy a new machine.

United States
        Member #63356
        July 26, 2008
        1427 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2009, 12:00 am - IP Logged

Before you take the computer anywhere to have it repaired ------------BACK UP ALL your important information - You wil be sorry if you don't.

Erase all credit card information - personal info that you don't want others to have. 

If you throw the computer out - take out the hard drive and use that 12 ga shot gun on it or drill it - hit it with a hammer or use my personal shot gun, 30 odd 6 -- I'll send it to you on loan.  Never throw a computer in the trash without distroying the HD.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
          hotatlanta
          United States
          Member #70664
          February 8, 2009
          1446 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2009, 12:27 am - IP Logged

All this talk of shot gun made me think of the first time I use one trying to scare someone when I was about 17 a 16 gauge. If he does all that just start looking for a new one.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2009, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Just use a hammer. It works on pretty much everything.

LOL don't forget the duct tape!

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
              mississippi
              United States
              Member #34478
              March 3, 2006
              5903 Posts
              Posted: June 8, 2009, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

I got my computer back out of the shop today and it is working fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now...they told me that the video card that was in it was a high tech one put in by my soninlaw 5 years ago when we got the computer..that video card was bad and I didnt even have to buy a new one..they said I could just the video thing that came in the computer to begin with..they charged me 30 bucks..did tell me I had some viruses on my computer...said they would get rid of them for 60 bucks..I said maybe later...hahaha

Thanks everyone for all the Info...it is nice to have a pretty , clear screen, to look at again..maybe I will not miss anymore numbers...hahahaha

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23259 Posts
                Posted: June 8, 2009, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I got my computer back out of the shop today and it is working fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now...they told me that the video card that was in it was a high tech one put in by my soninlaw 5 years ago when we got the computer..that video card was bad and I didnt even have to buy a new one..they said I could just the video thing that came in the computer to begin with..they charged me 30 bucks..did tell me I had some viruses on my computer...said they would get rid of them for 60 bucks..I said maybe later...hahaha

Thanks everyone for all the Info...it is nice to have a pretty , clear screen, to look at again..maybe I will not miss anymore numbers...hahahaha

Eeeeek, don't let viruses exist on your PC!  You want to talk about having a bad day with your computer, you'll get to experience that one day if you don't take care of it.

There is so much free virus software out there that nobody in this world should not have it installed.

Try this one -- it comes with a free 90-day trial, and you can simply uninstall it at the end of 90 days if you want.  (The trial software is the FULL VERSION, not a "lite" version.)

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/install/install.htm

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                  Member #63356
                  July 26, 2008
                  1427 Posts
                  Posted: June 8, 2009, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Oh my gosh!!  Viruses?  Todd is correct, get rid of them now.  Very bad thing.  Never know what they are up to or when the countdown clock is set to go off.

I have AOL service that provides protection against virus and other programs to invade my Baby.  The program updates the virus programs sometimes twice a day or so it seems.  McAfee?  Sometimes I can't do what I want like download or go to some websites but its a blessing to have. 

Now are you happy that you didn't take our advice about that shotgun and hammer?  LOL!!! 

Hope You Hit the Big One!

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
                    mississippi
                    United States
                    Member #34478
                    March 3, 2006
                    5903 Posts
                    Posted: June 8, 2009, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

ok..well let me ask you all something about Viruses...is there any free virus removal software or websites that you can go to and scan your computer and it says..you  have a virus would you like to remove it click yes or no..

you know..virus protection for dummies..hahaha..I really wish I would have taken more computer classes in college but I didnt..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49627 Posts
                      Posted: June 8, 2009, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

ok..well let me ask you all something about Viruses...is there any free virus removal software or websites that you can go to and scan your computer and it says..you  have a virus would you like to remove it click yes or no..

you know..virus protection for dummies..hahaha..I really wish I would have taken more computer classes in college but I didnt..

AVG (free)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                        Member #63356
                        July 26, 2008
                        1427 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2009, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Click NO for Goodness Sake!  That is how a trojan gets into your computer and uses it for its own purpose.

I think you should do as Todd told you before - he gave you valuable information and I don't know why you are ignoring it.

marlon39's avatar - avatar 3245.jpg

Philippines
                          Member #71195
                          February 20, 2009
                          226 Posts
                          Posted: June 9, 2009, 12:44 am - IP Logged

I agree with Todd and Kaptainess. You should deal with the virus threat before it gets worse.

Here are some online scanners:

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/online-scanner/index.html

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."
                          - Vince Lombardi