Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Due to Budget Cuts-California Lottery District Office closed on Fridays

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Dollar419.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Santa Ana
United States
Member #71159
February 20, 2009
651 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2009, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Due to the stupid clowns running our sunny state of California and not passing the budget on time; the California Lottery and all nine districts will be closed every Friday, starting 7/10/09;  so if you win big on Thursday night you cannot redeem any large winning ticket until Mondays. They claimed it will not effective the daily drawings so far but this is terrible and I am not happy about it period.  They will still take in the lottery revenue on those closed days  but meanwhile we will have wait 36 hours for the money if you win..where is the logic in thatBash

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3114 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2009, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Now that's just stupid.  These revenue earning agencies that make a profit should not be chocked back due to state finances.   The lottery should have a budget based on a percentage of sales and be allowed to spend it as long as they work within it.  Your government in action, what a joke.  BobP

Bang Head

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: July 9, 2009, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

If that's upsetting, you'll really flip if they announce the reduction or elimination of lower tier prizes due to a budget cut or start taxing lottery wins at a higher rate than regular income as they did in New Jersey.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #3023
        December 14, 2003
        4172 Posts
        Posted: July 9, 2009, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

If I lived in California, and won something big. I think I can wait a few more days. The economy is "bad" now.

To "win something big" is the first step. Worrying about cashing it in is the second step.

Getting that big check and going to the bank would be the third.

The rest is all relaxation!

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: July 9, 2009, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised that Gov. Ahnold hasn't decided to tax lottery winnings to help pay off Californias debt.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: July 9, 2009, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Due to the stupid clowns running our sunny state of California and not passing the budget on time; the California Lottery and all nine districts will be closed every Friday, starting 7/10/09;  so if you win big on Thursday night you cannot redeem any large winning ticket until Mondays. They claimed it will not effective the daily drawings so far but this is terrible and I am not happy about it period.  They will still take in the lottery revenue on those closed days  but meanwhile we will have wait 36 hours for the money if you win..where is the logic in thatBash

Dollar419  unless the laws have changed since I lived there....when I redeemed my lottery ticket at one of the offices they didn't hand me the money. The ticket was verified as a winner and put into the system with my personal info. A check was mailed to me about 3 weeks later.

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8395 Posts
              Posted: July 9, 2009, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised that Gov. Ahnold hasn't decided to tax lottery winnings to help pay off Californias debt.

He might after he reads your post! Green laugh

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
                Member #63763
                August 7, 2008
                40 Posts
                Posted: July 9, 2009, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

If that's upsetting, you'll really flip if they announce the reduction or elimination of lower tier prizes due to a budget cut or start taxing lottery wins at a higher rate than regular income as they did in New Jersey.

Might not be a bad idea.  It's not like Californians have a choice,
                unless they live on the border with AZ or OR, which very few do.
                By the way, I wonder how much NJ's lottery revenue will decrease
                now that they've gone from tax-free to highest taxes.  You know,
                from New Yorkers who might've bought their tickets in NJ intentionally
                in order to avoid NY's high state tax rates.

DelmarvaChick's avatar - wallace
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #68398
                  December 20, 2008
                  81 Posts
                  Posted: July 10, 2009, 12:34 am - IP Logged

If I lived in California, and won something big. I think I can wait a few more days. The economy is "bad" now.

To "win something big" is the first step. Worrying about cashing it in is the second step.

Getting that big check and going to the bank would be the third.

The rest is all relaxation!

I Agree! Honestly this really isn't a bad thing.  Unless you have a "Just Won the Lottery" kit this really shouldn't be a disappointment...and even if you did you shouldn't get evenly slightly disgruntled...you just WON the lottery! Who cares if they aren't open that day after so you can cash it.  It'll take you at least that long to figure out what you really wan to do with the money....unless you are just dead set on completely blowing it.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #74096
                    May 2, 2009
                    23239 Posts
                    Posted: July 10, 2009, 1:10 am - IP Logged

Have to wait 6 weeks in PA for anything BIG, BIG.

A couple days doesn't make a difference.

Unless it makes you feel better to know it's *in the process* even though it hasn't reached headquarters

yet.

On another note:

PA is up to something.

First time for me seeing an announcement that all funds will still be paid out of SO & SO...(whatever

the department is)

I mean...who asked?

Skeptical

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                      Santa Ana
                      United States
                      Member #71159
                      February 20, 2009
                      651 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2009, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

No, they haven't changed; I just said that if you won big on Thursday night; you cannot redeem/cash or whatever the winning ticket until Monday. It still wouldn't matter anyway--the problem is you will still have to wait period!!Unhappy

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        23239 Posts
                        Posted: July 10, 2009, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

I get where you're coming from...

Win on Thursday...wait until Monday for any official processing.

I guess some people might feel better getting it done the next day but there's some too who have

waited nearly a year (a couple in the lottery stories lately) before coming forward.

I wouldn't wait that long.

Dump Water Florida
                          United States
                          Member #380
                          June 5, 2002
                          3114 Posts
                          Posted: July 11, 2009, 12:43 am - IP Logged

When you win big, it's hard to say how long that luck bubble is going to last.  How long can you sit on something that big, anyone have a family that can keep their mouths shut, anyone have neighbors that would ransack your house looking for the winning ticket if they got wind of it?  Feeling lucky enough not to be at the lottery office bright and early the next morning? 

When I moved I hid a good watch so well it took me three years to find it.

BobP

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3316 Posts
                            Posted: July 11, 2009, 11:38 am - IP Logged

watch out for californiou state lotto, i hear they will be paying the jackpot winner with iou's to. then every year 1 lucky jackpot winner goes into a  raffle to see who will get paid REAL cash for their iou's

LOL good luck out there in IO USofA

------------------

all the above is just bunk, but man I dont envy you guys atm

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Dump Water Florida
                              United States
                              Member #380
                              June 5, 2002
                              3114 Posts
                              Posted: July 11, 2009, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

watch out for californiou state lotto, i hear they will be paying the jackpot winner with iou's to. then every year 1 lucky jackpot winner goes into a  raffle to see who will get paid REAL cash for their iou's

LOL good luck out there in IO USofA

------------------

all the above is just bunk, but man I dont envy you guys atm

LOL