Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery "Urban Legends"

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 7 years ago by marcie.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10347 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2009, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Not so much for the people here at LP, but what things have you hard from people not so quite informed about that lottery that you knew was totally bogus but you can't convince them otherwise?

There is one that I think we can mention regarding LP though, and that is it seems every so often someone comes here thinking this is an entire board of jackpot winners and their first post is something like, "Tell me how to win a jackpot".

I've had people tell me things like when you play a ticket the "big computer" at lotto HQs is compiling a list of combinations of numbers not to "let hit".

How about you? What kind of outlandish "facts" have others told you about lotto?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2009, 3:14 am - IP Logged

Perhaps those are excuses made to justify not to play.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #74096
      May 2, 2009
      22870 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2009, 7:14 am - IP Logged

"I just want to win one big one, then I'll quit"

Right...

LOL

Another was:

"You don't have to pay taxes on big wins".

Huh?

They'll get convinced once they do win.

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: July 10, 2009, 10:43 am - IP Logged

This gave me an idea...You know how there is "stories urban legends" right....

Why not write a book about "Lotteries Stories"....like accounts of how people won...What you heard on "history channel how lottery changed my life" is like 5 stories and they are shortened to fit the TV time limits and they don't tell you how it all began, while i am talking a complete book of stories about what they did the whole day before they won the jackpot....

or like have a website where people can write their lotteries wins no matter how small they are all around the world but with stories on it...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2009, 10:49 am - IP Logged

Good post. I like the myth that we would all one day win the jackpot.

Another one I like is people who say that if the had a super computer, they would crack the lottery.

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: July 10, 2009, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Myth:I have a system.

Sure you do!How long have you been using this system?

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
              Member #73037
              April 3, 2009
              147 Posts
              Posted: July 10, 2009, 11:25 am - IP Logged

How much has any one person spent to date in an attempt to win the "BIG ONE"?

I lost count a long time ago...

The only DUMB question is the one question you DID NOT ask...

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                Ohio
                United States
                Member #49980
                February 21, 2007
                34125 Posts
                Posted: July 10, 2009, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

"I just want to win one big one, then I'll quit"

Right...

LOL

Another was:

"You don't have to pay taxes on big wins".

Huh?

They'll get convinced once they do win.

Hey get you a Senior Ctizen to cash in the Ticket!  LOL! My Aunt is 95 If I would win Tonight she would be cashing in my ticket, and I would definely share it with herHiding Behind Computer. Good Luck!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4524 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2009, 12:03 am - IP Logged

The most irritating arguement that I foolishly entered was with a Lady who sells the tickets! She absolutely refuses to play any Megaball or Powerball games. Her theory was - "Why should I let another state get all the money our state contributes to the jackpot pool! Let the money stay here"

This Lady was my age with the incredulous lack of research or understanding how Multistate Lotteries works! I was utterly shocked that she seriously thought every dollar went to the winners jackpot fund! I told her three times strongly that the 50* cents went to the State it was bought in and the other 50 cents went into the jackpot pool so what the heck does it matter which state won the jackpot. EACH STATE still gets its money for the funds for education, or whatever they use it for. Her crusade ( or distorted justification) for playing state games was that ours in PA is setup to aide senior citizen programs....So what.....95% of the players arent thinking of how there money is going to these programs..they are thinking about how they can win the big one or hit the numbers for a decent payout...

Every time I see that Lady to buy my ticket I seriously want to toss her a brain cell.But then that poor brain cell would still be lonely.

*Editors note: The ratio of 50cents was an example it may be a different ratio 60 cents to state 40 cents to jackpot, point being not 100% of it goes to the jackpot pool.....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10347 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2009, 12:12 am - IP Logged

One time we visited a friend at his shop and the MM jackpot was up so he decided we would all pick a number and play them on a ticket. There were six people in the shop at the time, counting my wife and I.

So we had five numbers on top and then someone said 24 for the Mega number. Two other people there said, "We already picked 24", and there was absolutely no way to get them to understand that a 5 + 1 game has two matrixes. We realized it was a real exercise in futility when one of them said, "Besides, a number can't hit top and bottom."

Bang Head

Another time I played three 50 cent Pick 3s at a convenience mart and the clerk ran the tickets and told me it was $3. I said it should be $1.50, they were 50 cent plays. The clerk told me there was no suck thing as a 50 cent ticket.

(It's right on the playslip.)

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                      West Side of Sunny Florida
                      United States
                      Member #55048
                      September 8, 2007
                      3371 Posts
                      Posted: July 11, 2009, 8:26 am - IP Logged

One time we visited a friend at his shop and the MM jackpot was up so he decided we would all pick a number and play them on a ticket. There were six people in the shop at the time, counting my wife and I.

So we had five numbers on top and then someone said 24 for the Mega number. Two other people there said, "We already picked 24", and there was absolutely no way to get them to understand that a 5 + 1 game has two matrixes. We realized it was a real exercise in futility when one of them said, "Besides, a number can't hit top and bottom."

Bang Head

Another time I played three 50 cent Pick 3s at a convenience mart and the clerk ran the tickets and told me it was $3. I said it should be $1.50, they were 50 cent plays. The clerk told me there was no suck thing as a 50 cent ticket.

Clerks gotta make a living ya know (keeping the other .50 cent).... LOL

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: July 11, 2009, 11:21 am - IP Logged

biggest myth is the " when i win lotto I'll give x $1 mill and x $1 mill and you $1 mill "

and they dont even buy tickets, even if its the biggest jackpot in history!

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                          Marquette, MI
                          United States
                          Member #20541
                          August 20, 2005
                          705 Posts
                          Posted: July 11, 2009, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Biggest legend is that the games are 100% honest.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19822 Posts
                            Posted: July 11, 2009, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Bang Head

Many clerks are young and transient workers who have little interest in lotteries and how they are played.  Many don't even understand why I would even care when the terminal print out the wrong numbers because as they see every combinations have the same chance of winning even if it not the one you wanted.  That the reason I make out play slips and don't buy QP's or other combinations no on my slips that the terminal print when my slips are run.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                              Portland,Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #14387
                              April 25, 2005
                              229 Posts
                              Posted: July 11, 2009, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

A friend of mine and her husband won our state lottery jackpot about 15yrs ago. She was quite dismayed and appalled at the reaction of some friends and relatives. There were several folks who were furious with her! Said that since she won that mean they never would - their reasoning was along the "lightning never strikes twice in the same place" lines.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison