Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tennessee lottery

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
sneedville,tennessee
United States
Member #77158
July 15, 2009
1 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2009, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

They are trying to pass a law where if you receive food stamps,you cannot receive no more than $600 no matter how much you win,i think this is discrimination and taking rights away from poor people who are trying to get ahead,I thought this was a free country but looks like it belongs to the rich,another case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.What do you think?dont they know that if a poor person won a lot of money it would save the government money in the long run.

United States
    Member #62741
    July 7, 2008
    601 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2009, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

They are trying to pass a law where if you receive food stamps,you cannot receive no more than $600 no matter how much you win,i think this is discrimination and taking rights away from poor people who are trying to get ahead,I thought this was a free country but looks like it belongs to the rich,another case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.What do you think?dont they know that if a poor person won a lot of money it would save the government money in the long run.

Idiots!!!!Tn is in the south that means close minded and pickup trucks!  and yes people are trying to take away FREE SPEECH ,and every other freedom the usa has or used to have ...Itell you what if I ever hit big I will move to HOLLAND or Canada / Aruba...people are chillin ,less stress ...everyone is so stressed the usa is the BEST Country in the world but after 911 so many freedoms are were and will be taken away......why do you think people are buying tons of guns since Obama took over? not knowing the facts ,redneck mentality and closed minded....c2

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
      Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2009, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I thought they weren't passing that..they talked about it and that is the last I heard.  It is an impossible law to enforce.  When folks play the lottery, they don't use their food stamp cards so who is going to know?  Are they going to have someone there to ask if a person is on public assistance?  Well, add this to those stupid gun laws they passed..I won't be going into any bars or restuarants anytime soon or parks for that matter.  No telling when "that one nut" will start shooting.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
        Member #71120
        February 19, 2009
        1209 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2009, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I stop going to any store,restraunt,motel,hotel,inn,sub shop,that American doesnt own.I will till I die,that is my right.Good topic!!!! great speech you two,I love you both as an Americans.

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
          Member #71120
          February 19, 2009
          1209 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2009, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I love everyone in my heart as God wants me too,but I live in America and I will support Americans only,,,sorry but no one hands me a store or restraunt.

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2009, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Do you honestly believe that a law, any law, will keep "that one nut" from entering a bar, restuaurant, or public park with a gun and wreck mayhem?

During each instance of a gun crime in this country that are at the minimum 10 laws broken.  One more "law" won't stop the criminal but an honest citizen, obeying the law, carrying legally, having passed the training required of a carry permit, just might be the saving grace of several innocent people. 

I find those who advocate more gun laws ( restrictions ) to be rather short sighted and ill informed.  Why would anyone in their right mind seek to disarm the population: disarm those who might find themselves in a position to save lives.

England is trying this.  They have outlawed guns anywhere, anytime, for any reason ( hunting notwithstanding in this issue ).  What is happening now?  The criminals are attacking with swords, knives, billy clubs, and chains.  Instead of killing their victims outright, they make the victim suffer hours, days, weeks of total pain and anguish before they succumb to their injuries and die. 

We should give everyone a gun on their 18th beirthday.  They can carry it anywhere, anytimes, anyplace.  They will lose that right when  they do something which proves they can not handle the responsibility.

antioch tn
              United States
              Member #65338
              September 24, 2008
              359 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2009, 10:57 am - IP Logged

I thought they weren't passing that..they talked about it and that is the last I heard.  It is an impossible law to enforce.  When folks play the lottery, they don't use their food stamp cards so who is going to know?  Are they going to have someone there to ask if a person is on public assistance?  Well, add this to those stupid gun laws they passed..I won't be going into any bars or restuarants anytime soon or parks for that matter.  No telling when "that one nut" will start shooting.

The Legislature "tabled" this bill, meaning it could come up again next session.  The bill would apply to those winning $600 or more because they have to go to the Lottery headquarters to cash in.  The bill would be similiar to the Child Support measure.  If you win $600 or more and go to the Lottery headquarters to collect, but you're behind on Court ordered Child Support, the Lottery will notify the Court and pay the past due amount; if any is left over then you can collect it, but not until your deliquent child support payment are paid.  The same with those receiving Food Stamps.  I guess somehow, DHS would submit names to the Lottery Commission of those receiving Public assistance, and if they come to collect a "flag" would show to denote as such.  That's my understanding of the propsed bill.   

As for the gun law, there's a "gray" area in which any restaurant can put a disclaimer notice at their establishment stating that firearms are not allowed in the restaurant.  Many restaurants have already done so.

Clarksville
                United States
                Member #487
                July 15, 2002
                17638 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2009, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if they are going to make people on TN Care "pay up", too? Pay for their past medical expenses. This state is just getting whackier by the day. I still don't agree with gun law.  Until I see a serious drop in the crime rate, this to me is just another goofy law which encourages people to be "legal" vigilantes.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23273 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2009, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

No, this is an old story from several months ago, which I already covered in the news section.  One legislator was sponsoring such a bill, but it did not even make it to a vote before it was killed.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

thor's avatar - thor
                    Deep in the Woods of Texas
                    United States
                    Member #68454
                    December 22, 2008
                    328 Posts
                    Posted: July 16, 2009, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

No, this is an old story from several months ago, which I already covered in the news section.  One legislator was sponsoring such a bill, but it did not even make it to a vote before it was killed.

I Agree!

Well, now I can go out to my "ole" beat up Chevy pickup truck, make sure the guns in the gun rack are loaded, untie "ol yeller" and go coon hunting, and fix us a mess of collards and grits...whoooo! what a relief to know I ain't gonna lose my government $. Ma, let's play a round of Redneckopoly..

Thumbs Up a winning wish from way down deep in the woods where we love the good ole USA, the great state of Texas, and the right to bear arms.

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

by: Henry David Thoreau

Clarksville
                      United States
                      Member #487
                      July 15, 2002
                      17638 Posts
                      Posted: July 17, 2009, 1:51 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Well, now I can go out to my "ole" beat up Chevy pickup truck, make sure the guns in the gun rack are loaded, untie "ol yeller" and go coon hunting, and fix us a mess of collards and grits...whoooo! what a relief to know I ain't gonna lose my government $. Ma, let's play a round of Redneckopoly..

Thumbs Up a winning wish from way down deep in the woods where we love the good ole USA, the great state of Texas, and the right to bear arms.

Barbecued coon or roasted coon is really good.  Make your tongue beat your brains out. Taste better than chicken or beef. :)

thor's avatar - thor
                        Deep in the Woods of Texas
                        United States
                        Member #68454
                        December 22, 2008
                        328 Posts
                        Posted: July 17, 2009, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Barbecued coon or roasted coon is really good.  Make your tongue beat your brains out. Taste better than chicken or beef. :)

umm! umm! what time is supper?, granny. I'll bring the sweet taters and buttermilk pie and don't ya forget a shot of granpa's corn liquer!

makes me wanna Banana

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

by: Henry David Thoreau

Clarksville
                          United States
                          Member #487
                          July 15, 2002
                          17638 Posts
                          Posted: July 18, 2009, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I am going to find that corn liquor today!!