Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Spending too much on Lotto Tickets?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 7 years ago by konane.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
marcie's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
Ohio
United States
Member #49980
February 21, 2007
34552 Posts
Posted: July 23, 2009, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I need to give it a break myself, I have spend $20.00 in the last two days.

Getting back to your question, I think you should cut down, listen to your wife!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

FL
    United States
    Member #77284
    July 19, 2009
    60 Posts
    Posted: July 23, 2009, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

thanks for the chart. i'm well aware of the beauty of compounding effect of a continual investment.

thanks though. i'm sure it helped others on this forum.

United States
      Member #72740
      March 26, 2009
      73 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2009, 12:48 am - IP Logged

A debt of 160k is a little above average, barely,  for his education costs.  I know some physicians starting out who owe 100k more than that.

i agree.i know peers that have way more student loans also $500 on entertainment aint nothing believe me u got to see most of them in action.

about the compound thing there is an escrow for that.

now, i will not say how much to spend but if u try pick 3/4

u stand a better chance of getting some returns from

the amount u spend.

if u not winning i suggest u think it over.

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #58835
        February 27, 2008
        148 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2009, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I would not spend $100 on Powerball...EVER.  These last 2 drawings, I started with $5 QP...won $4, took that $4 and bought 4 PBQP, won another $4.  I plan on taking this latest "win" and putting it towards tomorrow's drawing. 

I usually spend $5 per Powerball drawing, always quick picks.

wazwins's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          Minnesota
          United States
          Member #77499
          July 24, 2009
          7 Posts
          Posted: July 25, 2009, 12:32 am - IP Logged

if i could spend a hundred dollars every draw, i'd be rich enough to not have to play the lotto!...just sayin

United States
            Member #54390
            August 17, 2007
            313 Posts
            Posted: July 25, 2009, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi, first post here   :D

I play the multi-state lotteries a lot. I mean, A LOT!

I play the Powerball and the Florida Lotto mostly.

I spend about $50~$80 per drawing. Usually $10 on FL Lotto and $40~$50 on Powerball. When Powerball gets past $100million, I often play 100 tickets for Powerball. Ive been doing this for about 2years now and so far, my losses far exceed wins. To be frank, I average about $7 return on every $100 spent (it averages to about $90 in losses every week).

Should I continue to spend such amount on lottery?

I spent $4720 in 2008, roughly 3000 tickets, and I havnt won anything bigger than $500 in 2008.

Any suggestion as to how to improve my chances of winning?

Should I play all QP? (I do half QP and half random numbers I bubble in at home)

Should I choose all my number? (that will be lot of bubbling haha)

Should I play the same set of 50 numbers every week? (instead of QP and refilling new sheets with more random numbers)

I must have the worst luck.

I bet for some of you guys on this site, if you had the opportunity to play 100 lines a week, many of you would have hit the jackpot or the one below that by now lol.

Btw, I'm not looking for a constant profit. Sure playing pick 3 and pick 4 can achieve that, but $300 or even $5000 isnt worth that much to me. I'm not trying to sound pompous. I just have enough income to budget about $500/week on entertainment and I just allocate $100 on lotto. I'm a pediatrician, with income thats barely over six figures. So with the student loan still left to pay and along with other bills, by all means I'm not wealthy.

Edit: I only desire to win something that is life changing. I didn't mean to snub at those who play pick3/pick4. I apologize for the misunderstanding and if the statement above sounded pretentious.

The weekly $100 lotto frenzy drives my wife crazy, but she really doesnt have a say in this. Her "shopping" budget is $100 more than my weekly entertainment budget and I dont see why I can't enjoy spending $100 on something that gives me joy.

Well her usually argument is... "If you spend $100 clothes, you have something in your closet. You spend it on lotto, you have nothing left in your hands! For pete's sake, spend it on something else!"

Haha,

I'm sorry, it seems I went bit off topic.

What should I do my fellow lottery hopefuls? Should I continue to spend $100/week or should I scale down?

No offense, but you need to call Florida's lottery addiction hotline.  You also need a financial counselor. For lottery..just spend $3 max a week.   If you're playing the big games, play only when the jackpot is high.

FL
              United States
              Member #77284
              July 19, 2009
              60 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2009, 1:05 am - IP Logged

People will always try to put others down to higher themselves. If you take this personally, you'll never strive, because the moment you stand up you'll sit down just as fast.

Also, should understand this since playing the lottery you're put down every time, just look at the odds.

But we're still mining it.

Thanks dimondpalace. It seems some people just love to abase individuals for no apparent reason.

My colleagues poke fun of me time to time at work. They joke that I should join the nurses' lottery pool - haughty attitude to think that doctors are too smart to play the lotto.

But I think playing the lottery is fun. And $100 a week is just one of my avenues for fun. $400~$500/month is definitely an inexpensive hobby. I'm sure many people in my shoes spend far more than that on frivolous things. Except mine happens to be the lottery - quite the double standard for sure.

FL
                United States
                Member #77284
                July 19, 2009
                60 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2009, 1:14 am - IP Logged

No offense, but you need to call Florida's lottery addiction hotline.  You also need a financial counselor. For lottery..just spend $3 max a week.   If you're playing the big games, play only when the jackpot is high.

Another post that resembles KY Floyds'

$400~$500/month is not a lot.

If I was the sole breadwinner, then yes. But my wife works as a public relations officer. I have no kids. I dont have a  mortgage. I live just fine.

Trust me, I'm not in a financial hole - far from it.

If I had known I would get replies such as "call Florida's lottery addiction hotline", I would have never made this thread.

You play $3/week because that fits your budget or you have other hobbies, thus you allocate your spending on something else. I play $100/week because it's not big enough to hurt my wallet and I really believe I get a $100 worth of joy out of it.

Take your belligerence somewhere else.

Moderator, please close down this thread. Thank you.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: July 26, 2009, 3:49 am - IP Logged

"If I had known I would get replies such as "call Florida's lottery addiction hotline", I would have never made this thread."

How can you be surprised that somebody might consider that you have a gambling problem? Did you just expect yes or no answers? Your subject asks if you're spending too much, so it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that  likely responses will include opinions about why it may be too much, and your reasons for playing that much. Gambling addiction is hardly uncommon, and despite your belief that you get "a $100 worth of joy out of it" (sic) your fist post appears to suggest that you believe that spending that much  is a sensible strategy for winning a jackpot. You may not have a gambling addiction but  the things you're saying are completely consistent with the rationalizations of somebody who does have a gambling addiction.

"Take your belligerence somewhere else."

as near as I can tell, you were given an honest opinion. If you see beligerence in that it comes from within.

"$400~$500/month is not a lot."
                  "Moderator, please close down this thread. "Thank you."

You're really surprised that I might wonder if you're telling the truth? You said you don't want to sound pompous or pretentious, but you've made a point of telling us why you can afford to spend that much, instead of simply saying you can. The lady doth protest too much. Now you're asking for the thread to be closed. The internet is well populated by small people with fragile egos pretending to be what they are not. "It's not bragging if you can do it", but why would you be surprised when your claims aren't accepted as gospel?

FL
                    United States
                    Member #77284
                    July 19, 2009
                    60 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2009, 5:01 am - IP Logged

"Now you're asking for the thread to be closed. The internet is wellpopulated by small people with fragile egos pretending to be what theyare notIt's not bragging if you can do it", but why would you be surprised when your claims aren't accepted as gospel?"  - KY Floyd

I dont know why I'm surprised, but I am. I mean would people go through all that trouble to create an alter ego on the web? I just cant fathom someone doing that. For what? Whatever joy they get from impersonating has to be ephemeral in every way.

I asked for the thread to be closed becuase I feel like im being constantly attacked for being honest? I didnt go through 8 additional years of school after highschool, just so that I can be dished with skepticism and I rather not deal with it. Sure I can ignore the post, but my curiosity always gets the best of me and I end up reading, and then, like now, responding.

In regards to the other post, I really think it's a timing issue. There's simply no room for the bill to be wiggled through the tapes to be brought up to a vote with congress going into recess. With reelection right around the corner, nothing will get done for online gambling this year or the next.

KY Floyd, it seems you and i started off on the wrong foot. I may have over analyzed your posts (along with others) and I apologize responding to it negatively. I felt like my identity was attacked. But I think I took personal offense to it when it didnt have to be perceived that way.

One more hour until I go home... and I get Sunday and Monday off.  Party

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #22395
                      September 24, 2005
                      1583 Posts
                      Posted: July 26, 2009, 7:07 am - IP Logged

"I asked for the thread to be closed becuase I feel like im being constantly attacked for being honest? I didnt go through 8 additional years of school after highschool, just so that I can be dished with skepticism and I rather not deal with it."

You posted on the net.  You asked everyone for their opinion.  The people are being honest, same as you. The only way to "not deal with it" is to not come to this thread.   Why would you think that you can just turn it off?  This is the internet, not your office, where you have the final word!

Simply by questioning your actions, could mean you are slightly above your comfort zone, even if you can rationalize spending that much.  If you were winning more than you are losing, you would not question it.

I would suggest a more rational approach.  By your own admittance, you haven't won anything "life changing."  Why not cut your spending to ½?  That way you are still in the game.  You won't have to question whether anyone thinks you are spending too much. 

Save the other ½.  Then you can decide at a later date if you still want to spend that money on the lottery or something else.  The lottery isn't going to disappear overnight.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3502 Posts
                        Posted: July 29, 2009, 3:53 am - IP Logged

"Now you're asking for the thread to be closed. The internet is wellpopulated by small people with fragile egos pretending to be what theyare notIt's not bragging if you can do it", but why would you be surprised when your claims aren't accepted as gospel?"  - KY Floyd

I dont know why I'm surprised, but I am. I mean would people go through all that trouble to create an alter ego on the web? I just cant fathom someone doing that. For what? Whatever joy they get from impersonating has to be ephemeral in every way.

I asked for the thread to be closed becuase I feel like im being constantly attacked for being honest? I didnt go through 8 additional years of school after highschool, just so that I can be dished with skepticism and I rather not deal with it. Sure I can ignore the post, but my curiosity always gets the best of me and I end up reading, and then, like now, responding.

In regards to the other post, I really think it's a timing issue. There's simply no room for the bill to be wiggled through the tapes to be brought up to a vote with congress going into recess. With reelection right around the corner, nothing will get done for online gambling this year or the next.

KY Floyd, it seems you and i started off on the wrong foot. I may have over analyzed your posts (along with others) and I apologize responding to it negatively. I felt like my identity was attacked. But I think I took personal offense to it when it didnt have to be perceived that way.

One more hour until I go home... and I get Sunday and Monday off.  Party

"I dont know why I'm surprised, but I am. I mean would people go through all that trouble to create an alter ego on the web?"

I don't know why you would be surprised either. Even if you were brand new to the internet, that sort of thing is also pretty common in real life, even though it's easier to spot the posers. I don't know if their perceived benefit is ephemeral or not, but the only thing wrong with ephemeral joy is that it doesn't last longer. It's the reason, not the duration, that's relevant.

"I think I took personal offense to it when it didnt have to be perceived that way."

As I said, the internet is well populated with posers, and you can't expect  people to blindly accept whatever you say.You might want to do a google search for "sock puppet" and see what the first result is. Not only is there no reason to blindly accept everything that people post, there's ample evidence that much of it shouldn't be believed. Even if you had posted a well reasoned logical argument instead of simple claims, there's no reason to think it's strictly personal when others don't accept it.

"I didnt go through 8 additional years of school after highschool, just so that I can be dished with skepticism and I rather not deal with it"

Another eight years of school should make somebody fairly knowledgeable about a very small fraction of the things there are to know. I'd like to think it's a good indication of intelligence, but too often it's only an indication of effort. Somebody graduated last in your class, and a number of  your classmates had to bust their humps just to be average.  There's nothing special about extra schooling that makes you immune from making mistakes, being uninformed, or misinformed. It's up to you how much importance you attach to it when somebody does question you, and whether or not you should take it personally.

LotteryJunkiE99's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg

United States
                          Member #72647
                          March 23, 2009
                          63 Posts
                          Posted: July 30, 2009, 2:02 am - IP Logged

Thanks dimondpalace. It seems some people just love to abase individuals for no apparent reason.

My colleagues poke fun of me time to time at work. They joke that I should join the nurses' lottery pool - haughty attitude to think that doctors are too smart to play the lotto.

But I think playing the lottery is fun. And $100 a week is just one of my avenues for fun. $400~$500/month is definitely an inexpensive hobby. I'm sure many people in my shoes spend far more than that on frivolous things. Except mine happens to be the lottery - quite the double standard for sure.

Joshuakim, First of all, as an also fairly new member of LP, Welcome to this Wonderful site.  I think some of these commentators are saying what they are saying because frankly, they ''feel'' they have seniorty here or that through such a long time in playing these and other games, have the upper hand in criticizing others for their legitimate questions that are "supposed" to be responded to with helpful, positive, uncrticized responses, however, that simply is just not always the case.   I think this stems from a bit of jealous because youare able to spend a bit more on these games than they are, albeit without their so-called experience, information, or technique.  But guess what, it matters not one drop.  They are, even at their best, inside with the rest of us in their the range of possibilities of being able to win . "With the rest" of us being 97, or 95 percent [ if you want to be generous ] , of us, who have only recently begun to play the lottery with a new eye out for trying out strategies or systems. 

I think it matters not that you are a pediatrican and these walnut brains that are responding in a negative tone should obviously know you probably are aware of the odds and possible slim chances of you taking home a sizeable winning prize amount.  Playing the lottery has nothing to do with how well you perfrom in your profession, but these people often mix the two because their own spending amount oftendirectly clashes with their net income, and therefore may at times, indirectly affect their own profession or postion, or job performance, through outlandish spending, and afterwards, if through continual loss, through worry and anxiety. 

It sounds to me like you asked a legitimate question, providing reasonable information to provide a reasonable answer back to you, and for the majority the people who responded, they did not do too well a job answering that question, except to focus on your already sizeable and worthy and rightfully Yours salary earnings.  Let me tell you, I know you wanted your own personal question answered with specifics attached, and the same for an answer, but I have found its a very limited pool of posters who are positive and good at giving advice,especially to newer members who post a question, even a good question,on a thread that they started.  A good way to avoid these type of comments it use the Search feature in the  Forums button near the top,and look for similiar questions and see if there are answers there thatprovide good answers that might answer Your Original Question or Questions.  But that's not the point, the point is, not that you should avoid making a thread like one poster said, or to avoid places like this website, if you don't want to hear the"truth," or what "they really think."  In fact, its quite the opposite,THEY should avoid posting back if they have nothing but Sharp, biting critisizim as the only thing to offer, instead of positive,welcoming, Good information, half of them believe it or not, just want to derail you from playing well or to help you increase your chances ofwinning for selfish reasons, or anti up their post count as ludicrous and as incredible as that sounds. 

I think it's good that you believe that you too may one day win the jackpot, just like most of us nicer and understanding posters in this forum and website believe, because you just never know when its yourday to win something.  And numbers and money have little to with it. Although I can understand why it is okay to put at least some effort into picking the right ones and spending an amount amenable to your own personal circumstances and lifestyle.  Anyhow, also keep in mind, notall of these people are very bright and some can be quite nasty, bc more than likely they are also like this in real life, spinters-etcera et al -as I like to call them, lol, and even though one doesn't want to run into them, there are far more of these than not, and they WILL try to make it personal, and then, like liars,  pretend there wasn't any animosity or hatred in their replies.  No matter how much they say it wasn't intended or that you took it that way.  BS.  And alot of us see through it, and don't interfere or respond to it, but I thought youwere being given a tough break by the majority of these posters whom you definitely do not need to apologize to or make justifications to, you are not accountable to them, and they aren't to you either, which is why the majority of the replies will be sarcastic in content, because they don't like to believe people and instead want to mock their style of doing things, especially if it embitters them or makes them jealous. 

Anyhow, best of luck with your strategies, whether new or old, and trust me, even with all the advice in the world, only You and only You,  can decide what's best, the rest of the advice is mostly Extra garbage worth not even 2 cents, with a few Good sparse messages and Wortwhile comments thrown in and scattered inbetween, just like the lottery.  Rationality is one thing, and trust me, it also doesn't count for much, because rationality doesn't create winners.  Only Luck does that. Yes Nod I think its great the lottery brings you joy and I think its a great way to liven up your day or life with believing that wonderful things do happen, and that they can happen to you.   Best of luck, and remember it's not about taking things personally, its about filtering all the old, bogus, creepy, and probably ostentatious comments that come from probably same said people who are very well summed up by same said tawdry adjectives.  So don't take it personally if you were offended by some of these replies, G-d knows you probably wouldn't if you ever had the displeasure of being allowed to see what these people were like in real life.  You'd probably just laugh and say, 'thanks, but no thanks, on that input.'   There are some wonderfully sweet and amazing people behind some of these posters, and it reflects in their comments when addressing other people that asked a question.   Keep the bad out, let only the good in, and try to learn what you can with only the positive comments and positive posters in mind.   After browsing onhere for a while, you'll get a feel for who they are.  May the positive energies of half the lotto playing population be with you.  LJ-99. Wink

- ILOVETHELOTTERY Sun Smiley

United States
                            Member #54390
                            August 17, 2007
                            313 Posts
                            Posted: July 30, 2009, 3:22 am - IP Logged

Another post that resembles KY Floyds'

$400~$500/month is not a lot.

If I was the sole breadwinner, then yes. But my wife works as a public relations officer. I have no kids. I dont have a  mortgage. I live just fine.

Trust me, I'm not in a financial hole - far from it.

If I had known I would get replies such as "call Florida's lottery addiction hotline", I would have never made this thread.

You play $3/week because that fits your budget or you have other hobbies, thus you allocate your spending on something else. I play $100/week because it's not big enough to hurt my wallet and I really believe I get a $100 worth of joy out of it.

Take your belligerence somewhere else.

Moderator, please close down this thread. Thank you.

Actually, I spend less then $3 a week on lotto because I am not crazy. 

The last Mega Millions winner is a good example: He just bought $2 quickpicks and he won.

United States
                              Member #76285
                              June 23, 2009
                              16 Posts
                              Posted: July 30, 2009, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Actually, I spend less then $3 a week on lotto because I am not crazy. 

The last Mega Millions winner is a good example: He just bought $2 quickpicks and he won.

Another good example is the last Powerball winner (CT). He spent only $1 on QP, to win $25M