Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are lotteries part of the solution to the crisis in states' budgets?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2009, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Many states are having budget problems and some, like California, are up the creek without a paddle. I think state should encourage people to participate in their state lottery to boost revenue. In my area, there are always "draws" and "raffles" for all sorts of causes, states could raise more funds by promoting lotteries.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2009, 2:25 am - IP Logged

Many states are having budget problems and some, like California, are up the creek without a paddle. I think state should encourage people to participate in their state lottery to boost revenue. In my area, there are always "draws" and "raffles" for all sorts of causes, states could raise more funds by promoting lotteries.

If every taxpayer gave 20 dollars to the state government and 20 dollars to the feds if would fix all the deficits in about 5 years.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
      Member #45970
      September 1, 2006
      4763 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2009, 11:53 am - IP Logged

If every taxpayer gave 20 dollars to the state government and 20 dollars to the feds if would fix all the deficits in about 5 years.

I Agree!. I also believe that if individual states would at least slightly increase the payout amounts for lower tier prizes, that it would encourage more people to play. Ultimately this would result in more income for the states even after the payouts.

Kansas City, MO
        United States
        Member #50725
        March 13, 2007
        78 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2009, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

Do you *honestly"* think if people gave xtra money, the crooked politicians would not just WASTE it and want more? Where have you been?

United States
          Member #45970
          September 1, 2006
          4763 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2009, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Do you *honestly"* think if people gave xtra money, the crooked politicians would not just WASTE it and want more? Where have you been?

Honestly, if citizen's would speak more with their votes instead of their mouths, I don't think we'd have as big of a problem with "crookedness" in office as we do today, but that's a whole different subject for a whole different thread.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23260 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2009, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

I strongly disagree.  No Nod

Having individuals spend more money within the free market (i.e., any goods or services that are not related to the government) would generate more government revenue through existing tax sources, while at the same time improving everyone's standard of living.

The more government is involved in any solution, the worse the problem becomes.  As free markets become more involved in solutions, the problems are solved.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23260 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2009, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, if citizen's would speak more with their votes instead of their mouths, I don't think we'd have as big of a problem with "crookedness" in office as we do today, but that's a whole different subject for a whole different thread.

Some people do both -- they point out problems and vote their conscience.  It's the people who treat politics like they are routing for a sports team that are the problem.

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
                Member #63356
                July 26, 2008
                1427 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2009, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Never trust a Politician!  The country is going down the tubes and we as a people are doing NOTHING to stop it.  March on Washington - sue each and every politician in Washington for fraud and anything else we can come up with.  That would get their attention that we won't take it anymore! 

Oh wait!!  You can't sue them?!?!  Geez.  Got to think of another plan.

Okay we can start to impeach a few at a time - that should do it!

United States
                  Member #45970
                  September 1, 2006
                  4763 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2009, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Having individuals spend more money within the free market (i.e., any goods or services that are not related to the government) would generate more government revenue through existing tax sources, while at the same time improving everyone's standard of living.

The more government is involved in any solution, the worse the problem becomes.  As free markets become more involved in solutions, the problems are solved.

I will agree with you to a point on this Todd. The government involvement in every aspect of our lives is a large part of what's going wrong in America. The government should be for the people and by the people....not for the governement. In effect, what you have done is proved four4me's point. The simple answer on how to make state and federal defecits disappear is as simple as four4me said. However, due to government involvement and mismanagement of everything they underatake (not to mention corruption), every simple solution such as this goes down the tubes. Look at children, crime today versus 30 years ago. Children were more respectful, and violent crime rates weren't near what they are today. Things have gotten where they are because most people know that they are going to get a slap on the wrist or a "time-out" for their actions. The point is that if government officials knew that they would be "impeached", "voted out", or "put out to pasture" based on their actions we wouldn't have the mismangement issues at governmental levels that we do today. This is just my opinion of course, and we all know that those are like rear-ends.....everyone's got one and they usually think the other guys stinks worse than their own. lol.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23260 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2009, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

I will agree with you to a point on this Todd. The government involvement in every aspect of our lives is a large part of what's going wrong in America. The government should be for the people and by the people....not for the governement. In effect, what you have done is proved four4me's point. The simple answer on how to make state and federal defecits disappear is as simple as four4me said. However, due to government involvement and mismanagement of everything they underatake (not to mention corruption), every simple solution such as this goes down the tubes. Look at children, crime today versus 30 years ago. Children were more respectful, and violent crime rates weren't near what they are today. Things have gotten where they are because most people know that they are going to get a slap on the wrist or a "time-out" for their actions. The point is that if government officials knew that they would be "impeached", "voted out", or "put out to pasture" based on their actions we wouldn't have the mismangement issues at governmental levels that we do today. This is just my opinion of course, and we all know that those are like rear-ends.....everyone's got one and they usually think the other guys stinks worse than their own. lol.

I think we're basically saying the same thing from two different vantage points.  However, I do not believe forcing people to give the government more money is ever the solution.  Reasonable taxation that supports the bare necessities is important, but taking away money because the government can do something extra with it is not.

The federal government government was strictly created in order to create a nation-wide currency to allow trade between the states, to form treaties with other countries, and to protect the country with a military.  The first paragraph of the Constitution is:

WE THE PEOPLE of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The federal government was never intended to be more powerful than state governments, which is why the Constitution -- the document that is the ultimate authority of law in this country -- is ratified by the states, not by elected officials in Washington.

The government cannot create rights -- only God can do that.  The Declaration of Independence even says so:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

So anytime you hear that "people have a right to quality health care" or "people have a right to a fair wage", or something to that effect, it is a lie and a fallacy.  There are no such rights.  As the Declaration explains, we are given by God the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

People have the right to use their talents in a positive way, and they have a right to squander their abilities.  They have a right to save their money and invest it wisely, and they have a right to waste it all.  What they do not have a right to do -- and what the government by extension does not have a right to do -- is to take money away from one group and give it to another -- or to decide for us what is the best way to spend it.

So every time you see the government forcing one group of people to give up their money in order to pay off a debt or to give the money out to another set of people, the government is taking away liberty, not endowing a right.

Besides, it has been shown numerous times throughout our 200+ years of history that when the people keep more of the money they earn, more money flows into the government.  When people are taxed at a greater rate, less money flows into the government.

This same truth goes whether you are talking about rich people, poor people, or people of the middle class.  Everyone.  No matter what, for every group of people, when you lower taxes, you increase money to the government.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10345 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2009, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

On paper, yes, sounds good. In reality, well, every state that has a lottery should have the best schools, well paid teachers, etc..., right?

"Voo Doo" accounting takes over and the "Bucks for education" get plugged in one place in the states' school budgets and an equal or greater amount gets taken out somewhere else.

Lotteries do generate some revenue that does some good, but nothing like they'd have you believe.

Of course, this is not going to keep me from playing!

Green laugh        Lep

PS

The above doesn't apply just to lotteries. Las Vegas, Laughlin, Reno, and Atlantic City, for the money that comes into them, should have the best schools, teachers salaries, roads, civil services, etc. They don't.

What?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
                        Member #63356
                        July 26, 2008
                        1427 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2009, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

They are going to tax us until we only can take home 6 months of salary, if they are not doing it already.  They tax our pay, we buy something they tax it, so our money is being taxed twice.  We pay our mortgage and we also have to pay the real estate tax.  Taxed twice again.  We pay our phone bill, its taxes on top of taxes.  They only thing they don't tax is food and clothes, and in some states they tax clothes.  Wait - if they start taxing clothes I'm going out buck naked to do my shopping - news at 11:00!!!

What about the off shore bank accounts?  Eh?  Want to bet most of the politicians don't have one or two?  Where are they putting all that money they get from the Lobby Folks??  What about Fumo - he got caught red handed and the Feds threw the book at him with 170+ crimes, he was found guilty they only gave him 4+ years, two and he's out.  Those that stood up for him should be investigated, especially Gov Rendell!!

As for the children of tomorrow, they were not raised like the Baby Boomers.  We got our a**es kicked when we did something wrong or ''bad''.  I remember the belt, try using that on today's kids!!  They know how to dial 911 and have YOU arrested for child abuse.   I was young and stupid and stayed out too late one night, got home and wish I had kept going, I was beaten so bad I had to sit in a tub of cold water to stop the bleeding.  Did I do anything ''bad'' or wrong after that?  Heck no!!  I don't think parents should go that far today, I sure wouldn't.  But teaching your child is the parents job that they don't have time for if both are working, latch key kids started when it became necessary for two incomes. 

The children don't know that for every action there is a reaction, some good, and some bad.  Take away the cell phones, the Wii, the TV, make them read books and study for their future, give them chores.  I had chores when I was young, I was the mender, the fixer, I could fix dern near anything and could sew whole outfits.  I even did mending for my sewing teachers!  :-).  I had a full time job that I worked 6 nights a week when I was 15 and still going to high school.

We have a weak brood, the X Generation in place, and their children will be worst.  Look what they have for an example!  Geez!

Enjoy America now, it can't last the way we are going.

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3333 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2009, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!. I also believe that if individual states would at least slightly increase the payout amounts for lower tier prizes, that it would encourage more people to play. Ultimately this would result in more income for the states even after the payouts.

I Agree!    Totally agree!!!

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2009, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

I really hate to barge in....lol

But i just can't help by replying to this. I think you are correct when saying free market will always rule, and money in the pockets of Americans will boost the economy. However, What Four4me, I think was saying, is that it always seems that such simple solutions are always overlooked. If that 20 bucks went staright to the source without any deviation, the job would get done.  Sure you're system will work. And sure Four4me's system will work. Either way, they will get the job done. But I think the point of this is that the reasons why these solution are not taken seriously by the govt. and the elite, is because they don't want the public to have control. This keeps them in check.

Imagine giving the tax paying Americans most of the stimulus money. Imagine how that could revatalize not only the economy, but the individual spirit........ OR...... Imagine as Four4me stated, just send 20 bucks twice and the problem will be solved. But it will never happen.

It will never happen. ....EVER !

They need to keep the masses in check. Too much power amongst the people is not in their best interest.

I'm not being paranoid or conspiratory, just wise to what the ultimate agendas that have been in existence for a very very long time. Tactics handed down from the earliest moments in time and refined when man first aquired problem solving abilities. And through greed's intervention, to this day, set in place systems designed for control.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8360 Posts
                              Posted: July 22, 2009, 11:42 pm - IP Logged
                              Yes when i said to give them 20 dollars each fed. and state i was thinking along the lines that the money would just go toward the deficit and not into their spending coffers.

I first came up with this idea when Reagan was in office and then a short while later i was reminded of this when on our tax form it said would you like to donate $1.00 of your federal tax to go to the Presidential Election Campaign.  Originally $1 and implemented in the 1970's now it's up to 3.00 dollars this is voluntary of course. I thought what a way to generate capital.

Taxing goods and services is getting way out of hand and their spending the money as fast as they get it. To pay down a dept you have to just allocate money to that one goal. Not by raping the people so the gov. can buy and spend more. And one thing i forgot to add is the local or federal government shouldn't be allowed to invest taxpayers dollars in the stock market either.

Of course my idea will never happen just like they will never give the people 50,000 dollars per household to spend. 
                              Thanks to all who read my post and saw the benefits of it. Pay down the debt. Build up the equity then allocate money to rebuild the infrastructure.