Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are lotteries part of the solution to the crisis in states' budgets?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 7 years ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: July 23, 2009, 3:22 am - IP Logged

If every taxpayer gave 20 dollars to the state government and 20 dollars to the feds if would fix all the deficits in about 5 years.

You've lost track of the decimal places or traveled into the distant past or something. I'll assume that by "every taxpayer" you mean every man, woman and child in the US, which is about 300 million. $40 from each of them would be $12 billion. In 2 years that would be enough to  deal with all but $2.3 billion of the deficit that California is dealing with. The federal deficit for 2009 is estimated to be about $1.8 trillion. If everybody kicked in $1000 it would raise $300 billion, and we could pay off 1 year's deficit in "only" 6 years.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: July 23, 2009, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

You've lost track of the decimal places or traveled into the distant past or something. I'll assume that by "every taxpayer" you mean every man, woman and child in the US, which is about 300 million. $40 from each of them would be $12 billion. In 2 years that would be enough to  deal with all but $2.3 billion of the deficit that California is dealing with. The federal deficit for 2009 is estimated to be about $1.8 trillion. If everybody kicked in $1000 it would raise $300 billion, and we could pay off 1 year's deficit in "only" 6 years.

I guess we might as well jump in a hole and let them put the dirt on top.

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

each citizen's share of this debt is $37,831.21

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2009, 12:27 am - IP Logged

You make a good point.

Maybe we could fire every politician, and employ everyday hard working folks with no ties to anybody. 

Eliminate every porky program, special interest, lobbyist, dictator wanna be's, Federal reserve, the elite families, IMF, Bilderberg group, Rothchilds, JP Morgan types, and a whole host of greedy interests that have been exponentially getting in the way of financial progress for humans, and master minding schemes to controlling money.

Then you could literally watch the money pour in like Niagra Falls.

Then I woke up.      Disapprove

Bondi Junction
        Australia
        Member #57242
        December 24, 2007
        1102 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2009, 5:58 am - IP Logged

California did have a subscription service some years ago, they could do with the money now. They should restart the service and make is available to areas of the US with a toll free number, just as Massachusetts does.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: July 26, 2009, 5:29 am - IP Logged

Has you state got a subscription service?

Is it open to non-residence?

We all get a lot out of lotteries!