Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

This will make you NOT want to play the lottery

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Iron Station, NC
United States
Member #74828
May 21, 2009
69 Posts
Posted: July 31, 2009, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

If you play twice a week per year thats 104 time, your change of winning THEY say is 195,247,054 to 1, that means you need to play 1877376 years to win.  If you could play that many years at a cost of $104.00 per then you would have spent $195,247,054.00 dollars.  So to come out ahead, you would have to hit a really big jack pot!!!!!!

THINK about it

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19829 Posts
    Posted: July 31, 2009, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

That argument might make sense if you could plan on living 1,877,376 years.  If you plan on living 100 years then you will spend less then $10,000 and if you win second prize you will more than $190,000 ahead.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Instyle's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg

United States
      Member #55821
      October 21, 2007
      161 Posts
      Posted: July 31, 2009, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

That's funny but your right.  I cut back( a lot) on playing the lottery.  Found that I save more money by "not playing "  Everybody hopes to win the BIG one., but for me I can't even win the "little ones" Hope is expensive (in my case). So I will focus on my savings and leave the lottery to the lucky ones who seem to win (sometimes twice)  :) 

Think about it.....  and if you can't cut back on playing..... good luck to you :)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19829 Posts
        Posted: July 31, 2009, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

True, a dollar saved is the same as a dollar earned.  I haven't played PowerBall in a while but it hasn't amounted to dollars saved since I play MegaMillions instead.  MM is a local game and I don't have to travel out of state to play it.  Since I don't smoke, drink or spend money on other types of entertainment, there isn't a lot I can give up to save more money instead.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

SamBuca's avatar - xstr
          Carlisle, PA USA
          United States
          Member #12410
          March 13, 2005
          78 Posts
          Posted: July 31, 2009, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

If you play twice a week per year thats 104 time, your change of winning THEY say is 195,247,054 to 1, that means you need to play 1877376 years to win.  If you could play that many years at a cost of $104.00 per then you would have spent $195,247,054.00 dollars.  So to come out ahead, you would have to hit a really big jack pot!!!!!!

THINK about it

I think that doing a quick pick, playing computerized drawing games or using birthdays, etc is gambling...it's going up against those incredible odds.  Having a lottery system is analogous to counting cards in blackjack; it doesn't guarantee success and there's always the element of randomness (aka luck), but you're greatly improving your odds.

Consider this: if the payout of a pick 4 is $2,500 and you spend $10/day on tickets, that means you would need to get that payout every 250 draws.  That means winning once per year.  With all the resources and data available, you should be able to do that.  I just think the general population doesn't know or doesn't care enough to do the math.

Besides, at least for me, it's about the game itself....not striking it rich.

GOOD LUCK!! Big Grin

cranesworld's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
            Austin, TX
            United States
            Member #61007
            May 9, 2008
            153 Posts
            Posted: July 31, 2009, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

"The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket."

--- Will Rogers, 1879 - 1935

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Chicago
              United States
              Member #70678
              February 8, 2009
              889 Posts
              Posted: July 31, 2009, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

THINK about it

You only need to play once to win, and playing 1877376 years doesn't guarantee you will win.

United States
                Member #75358
                June 1, 2009
                5345 Posts
                Posted: August 1, 2009, 1:17 am - IP Logged

THINK about it

That's a different way of thinking about such a long shot. I never looked at it that way. Living here in Florida, the odds of getting hit by lightning is about 3 to 7 million to one, depending where you're standing outside. That was enough for me to not to play.

I'll play a QP here and there, but won't be holding my breath..lol

I have enough trouble beating the P-3 straight with only a thousand to one odds. I think once I master that, then I can try to deal with 195 million to one.....lol                                         Patriot

middle Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #1893
                  July 20, 2003
                  1868 Posts
                  Posted: August 1, 2009, 1:35 am - IP Logged

"The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket."

--- Will Rogers, 1879 - 1935

As the saying goes,  "Thanks, I needed that!" 

Oh, I just noticed that the year Rogers died is the year I was born.  It's about bedtime for this senior citizen.

maggie

SamBuca's avatar - xstr
                    Carlisle, PA USA
                    United States
                    Member #12410
                    March 13, 2005
                    78 Posts
                    Posted: August 1, 2009, 1:46 am - IP Logged

That's a different way of thinking about such a long shot. I never looked at it that way. Living here in Florida, the odds of getting hit by lightning is about 3 to 7 million to one, depending where you're standing outside. That was enough for me to not to play.

I'll play a QP here and there, but won't be holding my breath..lol

I have enough trouble beating the P-3 straight with only a thousand to one odds. I think once I master that, then I can try to deal with 195 million to one.....lol                                         Patriot

I calculated the odds a few years ago when I lived 0.9 miles from the convenience store.  I was more likely to get into a car accident and die, TWICE, than win powerball.

That's why I play the smaller games and finally have given it a strategy.  It's not "cracking the system" and it's not predicting "magic" numbers....it's just improving the odds.

Speaking of Florida, I predicted 189 straight tonight.  Check the pick 3 forum for my predictions.  You would have spent $25 if you played EVERY number $0.50 box/$0.50 str and won $290.  Of course, a lucky win can happen....so I'm trying to develop consistency with the wins and see if I can stay in the positive.

And above all, this is disposable income.  If I didn't do this, I'd be buying unnecessary toys for around the house.  For someone who doesn't have the extra dough and NEEDS to win a jackpot lottery, it's not going to be fun to play.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3104 Posts
                      Posted: August 1, 2009, 1:53 am - IP Logged

True, a dollar saved is the same as a dollar earned.  I haven't played PowerBall in a while but it hasn't amounted to dollars saved since I play MegaMillions instead.  MM is a local game and I don't have to travel out of state to play it.  Since I don't smoke, drink or spend money on other types of entertainment, there isn't a lot I can give up to save more money instead.

You have my sympathy RJOh.  Should you ever become seriously ill there is nothing for the doctor to tell you to give up in order to get well.

Money saved is the same as money won.  There are a number of things one can do to play for less including a tighter focus on number selection and less on big wheeling when open cover designs can do 90% for 50% less.

Teach a man to fish and he will eat fish for the rest of his life.  Teach a man to play lotto and he will dream about eating for the rest of his life.

BobP

United States
                        Member #75060
                        May 26, 2009
                        300 Posts
                        Posted: August 1, 2009, 2:07 am - IP Logged

I calculated the odds a few years ago when I lived 0.9 miles from the convenience store.  I was more likely to get into a car accident and die, TWICE, than win powerball.

That's why I play the smaller games and finally have given it a strategy.  It's not "cracking the system" and it's not predicting "magic" numbers....it's just improving the odds.

Speaking of Florida, I predicted 189 straight tonight.  Check the pick 3 forum for my predictions.  You would have spent $25 if you played EVERY number $0.50 box/$0.50 str and won $290.  Of course, a lucky win can happen....so I'm trying to develop consistency with the wins and see if I can stay in the positive.

And above all, this is disposable income.  If I didn't do this, I'd be buying unnecessary toys for around the house.  For someone who doesn't have the extra dough and NEEDS to win a jackpot lottery, it's not going to be fun to play.

Hi Sam. I haven't been here in a while but, I logged on and happened to see your post. You have the right idea regarding the smaller games. See, these games are better "controlled" due to the number counts involved...especially Pick 3. Most people think I'm stone buck crazy for spending $600-$700 dollars @ $1/number str8 just to "make" $200-$300 in profit...consistently I might add. It takes money to make money in this game and it also puts the odds heavily in one's favor.

Yesterday, I won on South Carolina Midday and Pennsylvania Evening. I played 'em both $1 per number and made a clear $400 in pure profit while playing with the house's money. Can't speak for anyone else but, it's worth it to me.

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: August 1, 2009, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Hi Sam. I haven't been here in a while but, I logged on and happened to see your post. You have the right idea regarding the smaller games. See, these games are better "controlled" due to the number counts involved...especially Pick 3. Most people think I'm stone buck crazy for spending $600-$700 dollars @ $1/number str8 just to "make" $200-$300 in profit...consistently I might add. It takes money to make money in this game and it also puts the odds heavily in one's favor.

Yesterday, I won on South Carolina Midday and Pennsylvania Evening. I played 'em both $1 per number and made a clear $400 in pure profit while playing with the house's money. Can't speak for anyone else but, it's worth it to me.

It's truly amazing how one can win consistently with real money, yet when asked to prove it here at the LP, it becomes next to impossible.

This is indeed a very strange world I live in...

What?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10353 Posts
                            Posted: August 1, 2009, 10:35 am - IP Logged

I think that doing a quick pick, playing computerized drawing games or using birthdays, etc is gambling...it's going up against those incredible odds.  Having a lottery system is analogous to counting cards in blackjack; it doesn't guarantee success and there's always the element of randomness (aka luck), but you're greatly improving your odds.

Consider this: if the payout of a pick 4 is $2,500 and you spend $10/day on tickets, that means you would need to get that payout every 250 draws.  That means winning once per year.  With all the resources and data available, you should be able to do that.  I just think the general population doesn't know or doesn't care enough to do the math.

Besides, at least for me, it's about the game itself....not striking it rich.

GOOD LUCK!! Big Grin

SamBuca,

You seem to be assuming a win.

So did the 2008 Detroit Lions and their fans.

The lotteries love all players who think they have a system (jackpot games). They don't care if you can spit out statistics on odd and even numbers, high and low numbers, etc. ad nauseam.

Their thinking is, "You want to rattle us? Predict the exact numbers, and play them, and do it more than once."

And that's all they need.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

SamBuca's avatar - xstr
                              Carlisle, PA USA
                              United States
                              Member #12410
                              March 13, 2005
                              78 Posts
                              Posted: August 1, 2009, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

It's truly amazing how one can win consistently with real money, yet when asked to prove it here at the LP, it becomes next to impossible.

This is indeed a very strange world I live in...

What?

I'm trying to prove it.  I'm posting numbers in advance of the draws....so I'm not sure what you mean.

I don't win every time, but so far I'm not in the hole.