Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you believe the lottery is 100% honest in everything it does?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 7 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8360 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2009, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Good points, however, there's always a bean counter in the mix. Even though they make a lot if they weren't rigging, still, if rigging proves to make that much more, they'll do it and deny it. Streamlining is king.

I don't think they have to rig anything after all reputations are one the line not to include they have auditors, films, and security tapes of just about every aspect of the ball drawings. If you worked for the lottery would you put your job on the line for the sake of rigging the games to make money for the state knowing full well that if you were caught you'd spend time in a prison.

RNG is another story all together yes i believe they can manipulate those drawings.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2009, 8:57 am - IP Logged
    I don't think they have to rig anything after all reputations are one the line not to include they have auditors, films, and security tapes of just about every aspect of the ball drawings. If you worked for the lottery would you put your job on the line for the sake of rigging the games to make money for the state knowing full well that if you were caught you'd spend time in a prison.

RNG is another story all together yes i believe they can manipulate those drawings.

I don't mean rigging in that way, but doing pretests, which is legal, and rotating tubes which is also legal, yet manipulating the numbers so that patterns won't show.

Pinkpansies's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
      Member #58857
      February 27, 2008
      112 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2009, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

Is the lottery honest?  Yes.  Are some people in the lottery always honest? No. 

When people aren't honest that is when you get fiascos such as rigged lottery draws and someone buying out a store where a winning million dollar scratcher ticket is.  I'd like to hope those events are extremely rare, but I couldn't say because we just don't know.

I know that the pre-tests, post-test, and switching of the machines mess up the predictability of the game quite a bit, but the whole reason they do them is to make sure the game isn't rigged in some way.  I found the steps the Montana lottery has to go through for their security check for their ball draws online.  First of all they tape everything, they have seals on all the ball cases and on the machines, they make sure that several different people test the seals to make sure they haven't been messed with, they have independent auditors that watch everything, when they do the test draws if the same number drops three times in a row then they remove that ballset and put it aside to be weighed and go with a new ballset.  So the whole system is set up to prevent rigging by having so many different eyeballs both human and mechanical to hopefully make it impossible.  I'm pretty sure that they go through similar steps with Powerball and Mega Millions.

I won't say anything on computer drawings because I don't play them too often, but I think they do their best to make sure that the ball drawings aren't rigged.

United Kingdom
        Member #31295
        January 27, 2006
        73 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2009, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

If you don't believe the games are honest, why play?  Chances of ever winning big in an honest game are unlikely so why play one you suspect isn't honest?

I've stopped playing one lottery and I'm conducting 'experiments' on another lottery, the results of which will deterimine if I continue to play that lottery or not.

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2009, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

When people aren't honest that is when you get fiascos such as rigged lottery draws and someone buying out a store where a winning million dollar scratcher ticket is.  I'd like to hope those events are extremely rare, but I couldn't say because we just don't know.

I know that the pre-tests, post-test, and switching of the machines mess up the predictability of the game quite a bit, but the whole reason they do them is to make sure the game isn't rigged in some way.  I found the steps the Montana lottery has to go through for their security check for their ball draws online.  First of all they tape everything, they have seals on all the ball cases and on the machines, they make sure that several different people test the seals to make sure they haven't been messed with, they have independent auditors that watch everything, when they do the test draws if the same number drops three times in a row then they remove that ballset and put it aside to be weighed and go with a new ballset.  So the whole system is set up to prevent rigging by having so many different eyeballs both human and mechanical to hopefully make it impossible.  I'm pretty sure that they go through similar steps with Powerball and Mega Millions.

I won't say anything on computer drawings because I don't play them too often, but I think they do their best to make sure that the ball drawings aren't rigged.

I don't buy it for a second. They need not go thru all that just to make sure nobody tampered with the machines. All they have to do is lock the whole thing in a vault, and only one person knows the combination. To further guarantee no tampering, have video camera surveillance on the machine when not in use. Then review the playback before the draw.

So simple. Yet we know why they don't do it this way. It's because they need an excuse to mess up the history of the tubes. I've read articles from the officials stating that the purpose was to prevent patterns from forming.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2009, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

That was the problem when Tennessee had a problems with its pick3 drawings with no doubles of triples.  The game wasn't rigged but a mistake made setting up the RNG program had the same results as if it had been rigged.  The lottery commission could see it even when players alerted them to the condition for several weeks.  Had the same thing happened with ball drawings some one could have easily checked to make sure all 10 number balls were available for all positions.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

stribman's avatar - chi
              georgia
              United States
              Member #65527
              September 28, 2008
              417 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2009, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Let's see.....Rotation of the tubes, MULTIPLE pre-tests, multiple sets of tubes designed for the sole purpose of reducing breakdowns during live draws. What a crock of bull excrement.

Even Steve Player knew the officials did this to prevent patterns from forming.

If a machine is going to break down, it will. Murphy's law. How do pre tests prevent a machine from breaking down? Please tell me. In fact, they are aiding in the breakdown by breaking the law of perpetual motion. No machine lasts forever, therefore, the more use of the machine, the greater chance of it breaking down. DUH !

That's why I don't buy it for a second.

And then you have computer selection which can also be manipulated.

Are they on the up and up? ....I don't think so.

What?

I can strongly agree with this statement. predraws are just a guise to see that they dont lose money, it in most states law that they make money, and with the fat paychecks they make,  payout must be held to around 30% No Pity!

Monkey Butt, USA
                United States
                Member #54569
                August 23, 2007
                1124 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2009, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I am under the conviction that they are 100% honest crooks. They are like the Ollie North of gambling. "Yes we lie , cheat, & change the rules when it suits us. And that's the truth."

Why????

You gotta understand that dealing with all of that money is such a temptation and they are only human. They must operate under the rule of "If I give you some then I will have less." theory. Why else would they have the ability to lock out a combination if it sells over a certain amount? Always remember GREED ranks supreme when it comes to large volumes of dinero.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8360 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2009, 3:25 am - IP Logged
                  When states first started offering pick 3/4 games it was their bread and butter money maker now lottery's makes the most cash daily selling scratch offs. They don't have to rig pick 3/4 games to generate cash the game already makes money because people have an on going belief that they can somehow defeat the odds and win more than they spend which for the most part is not the case.

If most people play the lottery every day spend $10.00 or more on lottery numbers pick 3 games every day throughout their lifetime only a select few will break even if at all. Now with most states having two pick 3 drawings every day and people spend 20 dollars a day, 10 midday 10 evening 20 bucks a day. 7300 dollars spent in a year.  You need 15 one dollar straight wins a year to make 200 dollars profit.

How many people do you know even win 500 bucks 3 times a year who spend  20 dollars every day on the lottery. Not many I'd bet. Gamblers in general have a habit of spending more and making less. The lottery counts on this and banks on it.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                    charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                    MICHIGAN
                    United States
                    Member #65282
                    September 22, 2008
                    1992 Posts
                    Posted: August 4, 2009, 4:39 am - IP Logged

Nope

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      11929 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2009, 6:27 am - IP Logged

I couldn't tell you if they're honest or not. 

Unfortunately in todays world its easier to believe that there is dis-honesty in government and big business, and sometimes there is.  I haven't bothered to look into the lottery. I have spent more money doing worse things in the past, then buying a ticket. 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        CA
                        United States
                        Member #57222
                        December 23, 2007
                        587 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2009, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

If you don't believe the games are honest, why play?  Chances of ever winning big in an honest game are unlikely so why play one you suspect isn't honest?

RJoh

Great question.  I wrote about my suspicions in another post.  (thank you Todd)  I play on the off chance that they are not fraudulent and I'm just paranoid;  but as I said before  the day SuperLotto Plus goes computer  is the day I say goodbye lotto forever.

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #53121
                          June 24, 2007
                          6499 Posts
                          Posted: August 4, 2009, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

ncel is 100% crooked....

the govt. needs to look into ncel lottery

shut them down so i can start driving back to virginia...

Quoted by favor4:

Your winning number is not under attack. It's about to HIT. So Hang In There"

United States
                            Member #76285
                            June 23, 2009
                            16 Posts
                            Posted: August 4, 2009, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I don't buy it for a second. They need not go thru all that just to make sure nobody tampered with the machines. All they have to do is lock the whole thing in a vault, and only one person knows the combination. To further guarantee no tampering, have video camera surveillance on the machine when not in use. Then review the playback before the draw.

So simple. Yet we know why they don't do it this way. It's because they need an excuse to mess up the history of the tubes. I've read articles from the officials stating that the purpose was to prevent patterns from forming.

"All they have to do is lock the whole thing in a vault, and only one person knows the combination"

That will not be effective internal control system, because then that one person can do anything.

The combination should work by combining more than one person. For example, if the combination is "123" then first person knows only one digit to punch in - "1" but doesn't know the codes for the other two persons. The second person knows that he only has to punch in "2" but doesn't know the codes for the other two, and same thing for 3rd.

I agree with the video recording, and such recording should be audited and certified by the auditors.

United States
                              Member #77202
                              July 16, 2009
                              99 Posts
                              Posted: August 4, 2009, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

if its Tn lottery NOT HONEST AT ALL! AND there is no argument TN5