Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Amazing old man cracks math code

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 7 years ago by eddessaknight.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
LAS VEGAS
United States
Member #47729
November 22, 2006
4581 Posts
Posted: August 10, 2009, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Fantastic story of what's yet to come .....Hurray!

EddessaKnight Smile

Math whiz hopes method will multiply

BY JOSH SHAFFER, Staff Writer
FUQUAY-VARINA - On a yellow scratch pad, Albert Clay works out a math problem that can stump a calculator -- and all of the ciphering occurs inside his white-haired head.

In seconds, Clay multiplies a pair of five-digit numbers and writes down the answer in a single line. There's none of the sloppy rows of zig-zagging numbers that would normally clutter a page. Such is the beauty of his homemade formula -- titled "How to Multiply Any Number by Any Number in Your Head" -- which is registered as TXu001325432 in the U.S. Copyright Office.

"There may not be anybody else in the world who knows how to do this but me," said Clay, 75, a retired pharmacist. "Zip, zip, zap and add 'em together."

Clay worked out his system as a high school junior in Granville County, and aside from the Oxford High School math teacher who shrugged off his achievement, he never really showed it to anyone. Now, with his copyright, he'd like to demonstrate the ease of big-number arithmetic in classrooms, or even get it into math books. Send him $33, and he'll pass along a copy, postage paid.

"It's not complicated once you crack the code," he explained.

Clay's method is best explained on paper. Suffice it to say you multiply the digits on the right, cross-multiply and add the digits in the center, then multiply the digits on the left. Using that formula, you can work out 33 x 44 in about three seconds. It takes a little longer for Clay to figure 54,321 x 12,345, but when he tries it on a pocket calculator, the electronic number cruncher's screen is too puny. Advantage: human.

It becomes clear when you see Clay's written explanation, and it's that six-page booklet that earned him a copyright. You can't copyright ideas, but you can get the legal rights to the way you explain them, said Anthony Biller, attorney with the Cary firm Coats & Bennett, which specializes in intellectual property law.

Clay's technique may be novel, but there are dozens of tricks for multiplying large numbers without pen or pad, especially in China and Japan, said Moody Chu, math professor at N.C. State University. Chu knows of a competition in East Asia that has schoolchildren racing to spit out the answers to three-digit problems, all figuring done silently and hands-free.

"The trick is to have a good memory," he said, "and a trick."

But Clay just wants to pass along the product of his wandering mind, which still keeps him up late at night figuring random schemes: ways to trisect a triangle, or the best way to squeeze a miniature golf course into the N.C. State Fair.

He'd love to share them with you.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19892 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2009, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I calculated 54321*12345 = 670592745 on my $9 TI30XS with no problem.  He must have used one of those 20th century pocket calculator that replaced the slide rule.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10389 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2009, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Update....

Clay can be contacted at:

The Home for the Mathematically Insane,

Room 223,

Las Vegas, New Mexico.

///////////////////////////////////

Anyone here remeber The Human Calculator, Scott Flansburg?

I'm pretty sure he did this five digit number times fibe digit number thing in his head, too.

He did have some neat tricks, likke squaring any two-digit number that ends in 5.

Take 35.

Take the first digit, 3, times it by the next digit in order, 4, that gives you 12.

Take the second digit, 5 and square it.  5 squared always will be 25. Just take the 25 on to the end of the furst answer, 12, and the square of 35 is 1225.

Try it with any two digit number ending in 5.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Gent
        Belgium
        Member #73987
        April 30, 2009
        33 Posts
        Posted: August 11, 2009, 8:03 am - IP Logged

No need to pay this guy anything, I can do this to, and I'll teach it to whomever wants to learn this for free :-)

LAS VEGAS
          United States
          Member #47729
          November 22, 2006
          4581 Posts
          Posted: August 11, 2009, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

No need to pay this guy anything, I can do this to, and I'll teach it to whomever wants to learn this for free :-)

@ GameBelgium. Pumpi et al-

That's a great and generous offer - Thanks

The American& all governments have had the opportunity to make these skills a part of our public curriculums for years and years...spanning at least a dozen presidents...but they have refused to do it ( I say refused, because there HAVE been groups who have lobbied to get this in)....which makes me wonder why?...it may lend to the theory that our government wants to keep us dumbed down (shrug)

Same goes for the memory methods (See world memory championships, for more info) which enable people to remember vasts amount of information in a fraction of the time.

Again...None of this is really cutting edge. its all been around for a very very long time...congratulations to this man for perfecting these skills....and I'm glad to see him get some press over it. ~D

These skills need more press and more good people to share useful out of the box math methodologies....

Peace & Prosperity Wishes,

EddessaKnight Smile

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            50995 Posts
            Posted: August 11, 2009, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

@ GameBelgium. Pumpi et al-

That's a great and generous offer - Thanks

The American& all governments have had the opportunity to make these skills a part of our public curriculums for years and years...spanning at least a dozen presidents...but they have refused to do it ( I say refused, because there HAVE been groups who have lobbied to get this in)....which makes me wonder why?...it may lend to the theory that our government wants to keep us dumbed down (shrug)

Same goes for the memory methods (See world memory championships, for more info) which enable people to remember vasts amount of information in a fraction of the time.

Again...None of this is really cutting edge. its all been around for a very very long time...congratulations to this man for perfecting these skills....and I'm glad to see him get some press over it. ~D

These skills need more press and more good people to share useful out of the box math methodologies....

Peace & Prosperity Wishes,

EddessaKnight Smile

I guess you don't listen to Alex Jones...

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
              ORLANDO, FLORIDA
              United States
              Member #4924
              June 3, 2004
              5961 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2009, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

When does the class start? Never get too old to learn.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                Ohio
                United States
                Member #49980
                February 21, 2007
                34514 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2009, 10:02 am - IP Logged

When does the class start? Never get too old to learn.

Count me in too!   I just had 4 of the Mega Million. different sequences. But I should of mixed them up.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

LAS VEGAS
                  United States
                  Member #47729
                  November 22, 2006
                  4581 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2009, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Looks like the school line is already forming on the right....

So when the student is ready the teacher will appear, Right????

Wanting, Willing, Waiting Wink

EddessaKnight

LAS VEGAS
                    United States
                    Member #47729
                    November 22, 2006
                    4581 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2009, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

GameBelgium, et al-

I respectfully submit: Who is really going to teach us HOW TO WIN or has taught us???

Think abou it !!!

Ancient Chinese wisdom say its better to have a lucky life then a good life Wink

EddessaKnight

Honduras
                      Member #20982
                      August 29, 2005
                      4715 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2009, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Men, i thought someone had "cracked" the lotto code...I was all excited...later to be dissappointed..Is still good but still waiting to hear that news, of a "math scientist wizard" cracking the lotto code...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19892 Posts
                        Posted: August 27, 2009, 1:24 am - IP Logged

Men, i thought someone had "cracked" the lotto code...I was all excited...later to be dissappointed..Is still good but still waiting to hear that news, of a "math scientist wizard" cracking the lotto code...

Did you check this article?  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/197529

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LAS VEGAS
                          United States
                          Member #47729
                          November 22, 2006
                          4581 Posts
                          Posted: August 27, 2009, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Everybody, or let's make that,  anybody ready to show us how to win - please step up & just show us how!! Hurray!

EddessaKnight