Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you wear a disguise to your press conference?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 7 years ago by PERDUE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
chillz43's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
illinois
United States
Member #78324
August 12, 2009
5 Posts
Posted: August 12, 2009, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

If you won big money, say PB or MM, and you were forced to do a press conference. Would you wear a disguise to protect your idenity? Would the lottery officals allow this? Has there ever been a case of this?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: August 12, 2009, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Yes, there has.  There was a thread on LP about a man who wore a disguise - not a good one either.  If your name is used, I don't see what good it would do.  I guess if someone is that concerned about being identified, he should hire an attorney to be his representative.  Frankly, I wouldn't want anyone else to handle my winning ticket!  I think it would be cool to put a bag over your head like the Unknown Comic.  (Remember the Gong Show?)  I actually saw him (Murray Langston is his real name) in Vegas in 81.

If a winner went to extremes and had a sex change operation to hide his identity, would he then have to prove he was the person in the surveillance video at the convenience store?  LOL

FL
      United States
      Member #77284
      July 19, 2009
      60 Posts
      Posted: August 12, 2009, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

i would wear a giant shades and my Titleist visor I usually wear for a round of golf.

it's not much, but its certainly better than nothing.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: August 12, 2009, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

i would wear a giant shades and my Titleist visor I usually wear for a round of golf.

it's not much, but its certainly better than nothing.

Guess I'm just not that popular.  Sad  Seriously, most people don't pay attention to stories about lottery winners, and the ones who do will remember you no matter how discreet you are.  Greedy relatives are like Chinese Drywall or toxic mold in your home.  You need to gut it or move!

Since the OP is about a big PB or MM winner, I guess there would be more publicity, but the chances of that happening are so slim, I never really think about it.  Anyway, how many of the big winners can most people name except for Jack Whittaker or Brad Duke?   When was the last time we read anything about the West family? I can't even remember the name of the trucker who won MM in Georgia and I posted about him...or the woman whose life partner used her debit card & won, etc.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
          Member #32537
          February 12, 2006
          698 Posts
          Posted: August 12, 2009, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

i just give you my idea

anime cosplay

i wear this

setup

anime

and on a human it would look like this

anime

or a funny headline with the lotto would be

ninja wins lotto

however, a party store is the best place to find it for this one, and it your best cheap way

this last one would be my fav

lolz

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10345 Posts
            Posted: August 12, 2009, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

If you won big money, say PB or MM, and you were forced to do a press conference. Would you wear a disguise to protect your idenity? Would the lottery officals allow this? Has there ever been a case of this?

Absolutely.

A while back a woman pharnacist in Illinois won Mega Millions and she not only showed up in a disguise, but had a professional make up artist do it, wig and all.

She said, for one thing, being a pharmacist, as soon as word got out she won Mega Millions someone would probably try and sue her for a "drug mix up" they made up a story about.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #32537
              February 12, 2006
              698 Posts
              Posted: August 12, 2009, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

coin your spot on man

with that kind of logic you could tell the media anything and get away with it

some of my ideas would be

am in the middle of getting divorced , so i dont want my x knowing

or your XTREME shy of people, and sense the lotto forcing you to get a pic, you agree on your terms

or just say you are in fact a real life ninja, and a rule is to never show your face lolz

my fav would be, i have threats agiants my life so i have to hide who i am

thus gives you the must protection, the media wont even touch you,

know why, if they try to prey on you and find out who you are, when you clearly are trying to hide it

you can sue them for threating your life

the media and the lotto would not Dare put your life at risk like that

they are forced to go along with it, kicking and yelling even

i mean a lawyer would have a field day with anyone trying to know who you was,

their lawyers would have a heart attack defending their actions of seeking your true face,

i mean it, their been stories where people who used the my life have been threated, and the govt and media got PWNED, it was like a restraining order for all of media, that megic words of life in danger

is like best defence ever,

you can't be compelled  to put your life in danger due to some dumb state lotto rules or media whores wanting to know who you are

its like a human right

they may Hate you for using it, but it can't be beat without them shooting them selfs in the legal foot

if they asked you why you play, say the ticket was a gift and you never refuse gifts LOL

or that you just always dreamed of winning, and a threat agiant your life wont make you run away form your dreams!

FL
                United States
                Member #77284
                July 19, 2009
                60 Posts
                Posted: August 12, 2009, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

coin your spot on man

or your XTREME shy of people, and sense the lotto forcing you to get a pic, you agree on your terms

or just say you are in fact a real life ninja, and a rule is to never show your face lolz

know why, if they try to prey on you and find out who you are, when you clearly are trying to hide it

their lawyers would have a heart attack defending their actions of seeking your true face,

i mean it, their been stories where people who used the my life have been threated, and the govt and media got PWNED, it was like a restraining order for all of media, that megic words of life in danger

you can't be compelled  to put your life in danger due to some dumb state lotto rules or media whores wanting to know who you are

its like a human right

they may Hate you for using it, but it can't be beat without them shooting them selfs in the legal foot

if they asked you why you play, say the ticket was a gift and you never refuse gifts LOL

or that you just always dreamed of winning, and a threat agiant your life wont make you run away form your dreams!

lol good points.

i guess telling the media your life will be in danger if the identity is leaked, might be "the best defence ever"

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                  North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #64582
                  September 1, 2008
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: August 12, 2009, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

lol good points.

i guess telling the media your life will be in danger if the identity is leaked, might be "the best defence ever"

I like that!

Yes, I remember seeing that woman dressed up. You could still tell a bit who she was because she had a nice smile that wasn't common-looking.

If I had to do a press conference and actually appear, I would wear a disguise.  And I thought about a real crazy one, but then realized that would only make the news outlets show your press conference more often, which kinda defeats the purpose of the disguise in the first place. So it's gotta look somewhat real and uninteresting.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10345 Posts
                    Posted: August 12, 2009, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring, your killing us with the sex change incognito thing. There's a country song in there somewhere....

I hit the lotto and had a sex change to be anonymous

but my ex found me and said I made her give up on men

and now is after me for two reasons!

Scared

I think the perfect way to appear at the press conference, if you had to, would be to get the original Dr Zaius costume from Planet of the Apes.

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #22395
                      September 24, 2005
                      1583 Posts
                      Posted: August 13, 2009, 8:56 am - IP Logged

coin your spot on man

its like a human right

"am in the middle of getting divorced , so i dont want my x knowing"

The Judge is likely to award your entire jackpot to your ex-wife.  You can't hide joint assets, legally.

I can clearly see your spelling is just as great as your knowledge of the law

United States
                        Member #32537
                        February 12, 2006
                        698 Posts
                        Posted: August 13, 2009, 10:05 am - IP Logged

joint assets in the middle of a divorce, hugwash

let me get this right

if am married, and she wants to get a divorce, and after the paper work is started,

and we are already moved out

then i win the lotto, 50% SURE belongs to her, i don't think so buddy

i have her killed for being a theft, and i take anyone defending her getting any thing as willing to help a  theft, and kill them too, i don't take kindly to being told being a theft is legal, i dare anyone to try and steal my stuff, they will die

the law is blind to reality, and i have issue taking anyone down to reality

to many people get away with lawsuits, and bitter  x's trying to take whats not their's

the law say whatever it wants, but i dont listin to no freakin bs laws,

Uruguay
                          Member #78376
                          August 13, 2009
                          1 Posts
                          Posted: August 13, 2009, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

can't you pay somebody to show his face for you? you have money now... money can buy things, and if you need to hire an actor to show his face instead of you, then why not?

they just need someone to show off, I have seen family related instead of the actual winner, so why not an actor? :)

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                            Member #60535
                            April 21, 2008
                            460 Posts
                            Posted: August 13, 2009, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I would give all answers to questions in the press conference as "Lottery Post dot com.".  it would go something like this:

So Ms. X, what are you planning doing with all of that $$$?  me:  "Lottery Post dot com."

How will this change your life? me:  "Lottery Post dot com."

will you give any of your money to charity?  me:  "Lottery Post dot com."

DC81's avatar - batman39
                              MI
                              United States
                              Member #54830
                              August 31, 2007
                              985 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2009, 6:15 am - IP Logged

joint assets in the middle of a divorce, hugwash

let me get this right

if am married, and she wants to get a divorce, and after the paper work is started,

and we are already moved out

then i win the lotto, 50% SURE belongs to her, i don't think so buddy

i have her killed for being a theft, and i take anyone defending her getting any thing as willing to help a  theft, and kill them too, i don't take kindly to being told being a theft is legal, i dare anyone to try and steal my stuff, they will die

the law is blind to reality, and i have issue taking anyone down to reality

to many people get away with lawsuits, and bitter  x's trying to take whats not their's

the law say whatever it wants, but i dont listin to no freakin bs laws,

Yeah and then enjoy your life in prison from being convicted of several counts of first degree murder until they put the needle in your arm if you live in a place with the death penalty. Maybe with the money (if you get it) you could have a bunch of lawyers out there keeping you alive through appeals but eventually those will run out.  I hope you don't go through a divorce with someone who would know about a post such as this.

You can't predict random.