Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:08 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is the fantasy better than reality?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 7 years ago by GamerMom.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
Member #60535
April 21, 2008
460 Posts
Posted: August 12, 2009, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Every time the PB JP gets up in the numbers I get really excited and spend at least $20 on quick picks.  On the drive home I fantasize about what i would do--how i would claim it, who i would choose to tell and how i would spend my "fun" money (money not invested).  This varies greatly every time as it depends on what else I have going on at the time and what day the drawing is.  If I buy my tickets a couple of days before the draw I give myself mental vacation at work, daydreaming again and again about it all.  Also, i think about all of the negative aspects of winning....the tax implications, safety issues and beggars who will be knocking at my door. 

So is that what all of us are buying...just a mental break from everyday life and a wish and hope of what if?  I've heard some people say they wish they had never won the lottery it changed their lives so drastically.  Not all winners feel this way but one only has to peruse the archives here at LP to see how winnings can negatively effect one's life. 

What do you think...is theoretically more fun to win or dream about winning? I think i know how most will answer this! Wink  Do you know of a definite way winning the big one would negatively (i.e., permanently moving away from your family, ending friendships, etc.) effect your life but would give it up anyway?

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
    Member #32537
    February 12, 2006
    698 Posts
    Posted: August 12, 2009, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

win no doubt

prevention is the key when claiming a big lotto win

turth is its fun to be somewhere else,, a buck allows you to get away with dreaming your ass off

a lot of the negatively storys come form idiots in how they relate to other humans atfer the fact

just that outside facters

Actively protecting your Personal Privacy by keeping portions of your life "secret", can be a lot of help

onless your goal is to be will know, i avoid at all costs people knowing that  i am the guy that won 160+ million or something!

ther good stories i seen are all about having fun with the money

i loved 1 story about a young couple, the guy was in i think the army, before he was to ship out, hes new wife won the ca lotto i think, and he got discharged, and they lived happy ever atfer, or something like that on a nice pad, they even had like a personal assistant

think about it, for around 50k to 100k per year, you got your self a year around, on call, slave to do all the tasks YOU HATE,

the other sad turth, we don't know the turth about hiding it and how will it works

they never Show up in the news LOLZ, must be a good thing then

but going by how bad being a public lotto winner  is sometimes and how that effects people around you, it looks to be best to avoid anyone knowing

people change towards you,

its Great to be fithy rich

i say by making sure no one Knows you won, you would be some random rare rich person, in the world, just chillin and having a good time

the turth is, dreaming is almust better then living it, sense you know, you always can look forward to walking in to any "commaner store", like kroger/publix and getting any item, you would no longer care about food prices, and so forth

i think winning, makes all the smell things in life in to easy fun shopping

its the big ticket items you just avoid

l

its all about using the money that makes you happy, being fithy rich is the best, you could care less about all the little things, you just seem a item you want and take it, no 2nd thinking

buying a freaking 1 million boat, that you never use,  or getting freaking 8 freaking cars is not the best bang for your buck, onless your HOBBY is cars, then you invested wisely

ever worst story i seen is ether outside people making your life hell, aka lawsuits,family, or blowing Cash on stuff you don't even freaking USE,

hell i love helicopters, i just offer my family pilot training school for free, that way, i get more pilots to fly me around, and your giving them a ways to make money, thats what we call "investing"

even more so for family you hate, offer to move them the HELL AWAY FORM YOU,

hi you always wanted that dream house right, good am moving you to Hawaii, have a great time, "under your breath you be like, don't let the door hit you on the way out of my state, bye bye now

you can spend all you want,just make your your investing in your happyness, if it only makes others happy, <snip>em, , take care of #1 always, and you love the big win

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
      Member #60535
      April 21, 2008
      460 Posts
      Posted: August 12, 2009, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Very good advice.

Less than an hour from now someone's life could be changed forever.  Hope it's you or me!

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #64582
        September 1, 2008
        347 Posts
        Posted: August 12, 2009, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

As for me, the money is well spent on the daydreams. I love fantasizing about winning a really, really big one! What I would buy, what I would do, etc.

But then as the hour draws nearer to the actual drawing, I realize I don't really need that much and would probably be better off with an amount that's much smaller. The more money, the more complications - even when anonymous.

I will still play when the numbers get outrageous - and dream about winning it - but knowing second place might be the best place of all.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
          Member #32537
          February 12, 2006
          698 Posts
          Posted: August 12, 2009, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

i know what you mean dk1421

thats why thinking of total random things is great

like a 2nd house somewhere in the hills, away form everyone

i even got it pic in my mind

a backyard that has a green house, grow your own fruit, have a PA do all the care taking

and a indoor green house like pool, a cool 70ish inside, even if its snowing ore a heat wave outside,

just chilling on your pool

o and having the cleanist air thro top of the line air cleaners thro out the house

and here the kicker, a 2 story but really 3 storie house

2 storie right, but the roof, is flat, and you make it a gaint sun room and keep it cooled right around 65ish,  image it like this

the walls are just glass and a flat glass roof

during the nite, you can just watch movies on a gaint flat sceen 60+ hd tv,

360 degrees around you is the stars, and the top of the tree line at the bottom  and hills in the background

or you chilling to music, or just playing  ever pc or console game you ever wanted

or if you really got somewhere you own ever thing, put a bed up their too, go to sleep chillin on your back, looking up at the stars as you pass out

yup falling sleep to a Great star view is the good life

or plan a massive road trip, stay at ever hotal you want, go to ever them park around the nation

just make sure to take a pa with you to do all the driving and hotal stuff, you just lay back and enjoy your self

a even better way is to just spoil your self  with tech and video games like i said before

like have a very nice car,  while your pa drives, your in a roomy back self, with your labtop looked up to the cars power, and you just play games or watch movies and stuff as your traveling!

buy like some 400 bucks head phones, the music will sound insane good

having ever console game and pc game thats mainstream would keep you so freaking busy

and make friends coming over, being a freaking BLAST, their be so much to do with them

hell , you can turn your PA into a online slave

have your own army backing you up online in your games, personal assistants to be your backup support in games

ever major good online game, has support class's, your pa's would be personal slaves in the online world, if a enemy piss's you off, and you just order your hit man team to go miss that player up

i know one game, where you be be driving a tank, and have a friend in fighter jet flying around the game givng you air support,

thier just so many use's for personal assistants,  live like a king online or offline with them

hell, if you live a state that allows Concealed Carry Handgun permits, turn them also in to your own Bodyguards, trust me on this one, when you got armyed people with you, who you know and trust, you feel So much better, you live just like without a gun, just know in the back of your mind, anything bad goes down, you got armed support secs away :D,   

same thing for money, maybe buy some silver and gold, store in somewhere, even if the world goes to <snip>, you be chillin , and not giving a <snip> if the USD, goes poof thinks fed doubleing the money supply in less then 1 year,  they keep it hush hush in the down low,

, but people in charge of the fed trading long term ruin with short term avoiding the issue, to much debt vs real money, they have to create new money at a insane rate to keep it all going

it will bite them sooner or later, just cover your base's and you could not give a <snip> if the banks go poof

if  i sure had money to speed, i just invest in a large green house farm, knowing that money does in Fact grow on trees,   look at it this way, people are always going to eat, and they always will need stuff like high end fruit,

your set for life, just make sure its a great farm, make it 100% green house, makes stuff like ice,heat waves not miss you over, just have the place with AC units lolz,

and if you sure got money to burn, just buy more personal assistants, or in the green house farming, more growers, and just grow a empire off of healthy foods,

making money off of fruit is like so ingenious , people who  hate the rich, cant hate the farmers, who do they think FEEDS THEM!

hell that way when you pass it on your kids, they have a kickass cash flow for life,

just keep the green house will cared for, and your set for life kids! i don't think fruit will ever disappear , tech will change, but fruit sure as hell won't

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
            Member #60535
            April 21, 2008
            460 Posts
            Posted: August 13, 2009, 6:03 am - IP Logged

As for me, the money is well spent on the daydreams. I love fantasizing about winning a really, really big one! What I would buy, what I would do, etc.

But then as the hour draws nearer to the actual drawing, I realize I don't really need that much and would probably be better off with an amount that's much smaller. The more money, the more complications - even when anonymous.

I will still play when the numbers get outrageous - and dream about winning it - but knowing second place might be the best place of all.

EXACTLY!!!  You sure hit it on the head.  I have all these me, me, me wishes but in the end get concerned about the effect it would have on my kids and realize the 200,000 would be enough.

DC81's avatar - batman39
              MI
              United States
              Member #54830
              August 31, 2007
              985 Posts
              Posted: August 15, 2009, 6:06 am - IP Logged

Day dreaming is nice (I think about the business and claiming issues quite a bit with working a plan up in my head that would go out the window if I actually won) but in the end what does it really do, what do you get? A little bit of entertainment followed by disappointment? I for one would prefer the real thing over some day dreams which at the end of the day, would change nothing.

You can't predict random.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: August 15, 2009, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

dreaming is always better than reality. in your dreams you are in control, in reality that is rarely the case.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                  Member #60535
                  April 21, 2008
                  460 Posts
                  Posted: August 15, 2009, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

dreaming is always better than reality. in your dreams you are in control, in reality that is rarely the case.

indeed!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: August 15, 2009, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Day dreaming is nice (I think about the business and claiming issues quite a bit with working a plan up in my head that would go out the window if I actually won) but in the end what does it really do, what do you get? A little bit of entertainment followed by disappointment? I for one would prefer the real thing over some day dreams which at the end of the day, would change nothing.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with day dreaming of what one would do if they won, I do it all the time. But, would I prefer doing that over actually winning? H*ll no! LOL Sorry, I'm one of those people who would actually like to win over just day dreaming. I could fulfill a lot of my fantasies with a win.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                      San Jose, California
                      United States
                      Member #42003
                      June 26, 2006
                      206 Posts
                      Posted: August 16, 2009, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

I guess I am not alone. Many lottery players do fantasize about winning. So, sweet dream everybody. I got my MM for $2.

BedNow I can see a Koenigsegg CCX in front of me. Party Oopps, I just had a day dream White Bounce . Sweet deal!LOL

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #58835
                        February 27, 2008
                        148 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2009, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I agree, I would take winning over the daydreaming anyday of the week.  BUT, the daydreaming is what keeps me going, I think.  There are times when I don't play the lottery because I get "fed up" and think I'll never win.  Then, I start to daydream and think "SOMEONE has to win, why couldn't it be me?" and I get positive about it again. 

Sometimes I think to myself "only xx amount of days until all of my money issues are solved"....that's a big part of my daydreamin'. :)

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2009, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

just to attach a rider to my 1st comment. I would still rather win it than dream it.

sure lots of jackpot winners go on record saying. " they wish they had never won the pot. "

but theyre just quitters.

when u live on basically subsistance level income you dont have to try to hard to protect your wealth, yu don have any to protect.

its ony when you have vast surplus to guard that the real fun begins.

if you dont look after your wealth somone else will, and they never have your best interrests at heart.

think of winning the pot as not  the ability to quit work, think of it as changing jobs.

your new job is to protect and guard your own stash of loot. it will be a full time job.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                            Chicago
                            United States
                            Member #70678
                            February 8, 2009
                            889 Posts
                            Posted: August 17, 2009, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

I think the reality would be so much better than the fantasy........but the fantasy is what keeps us going!

United States
                              Member #60535
                              April 21, 2008
                              460 Posts
                              Posted: August 17, 2009, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I think the reality would be so much better than the fantasy........but the fantasy is what keeps us going!

I Agree!