Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Randomness?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KnuckleHead.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: August 30, 2009, 11:52 am - IP Logged

The chart isn't for one specific game. Each fraction/column can represent a different type of game, and some are just to illustrate the concept. 1/2 = coin tosses and roulette (not counting 0 & 00 spots). 1/6 represents the toss of one 6-sided die.

1/4 can represent 2 coin tosses or two spins of the roulette wheel.

truncate = to cut off, (also rounding down) 166.88 becomes 166

For # of trials: Let's say I'm flipping a coin (the 1/2 column)
If I flip 1 time, I can expect it to land heads 50% of the # of flips I make: 100 flips, expect 50 heads

If I flip 2 coins at a time, one in each hand, I can expect heads to show up at least once 75% of the time: If I do a set of two flips 100 times, I could expect heads to show a least once in 75 of the pairs of flips.

Going all the way to the bottom; If I flip a single coin 7 times in a row I can be over 99.5% certain that heads will show at least once. So, If I did a 10,000 sets of ten flips each, I could expect heads to show before the 8th flip in 9,950 of those cases. "Before the 8th" could mean anywhere between the 1st all the way up to the 7th flip. That still leaves 50 cases where heads didn't show before the 8th flip.

The chart can't tell you which roll/throw/spin/flip something will happen in, but gives you a guideline of how far out you would have to go to get to a certain probability (not a guarantee) of a certain thing happening.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
    Member #73037
    April 3, 2009
    147 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2009, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I appreaicate everyone's patience and examples. I'm only now beginning to comprehend how much I wasn't able to learn in school due to teacher's that were only their to collect a pay check. Without the basics of understanding, it's very diffuclt to attempt to catch up...

But, at least I'm willing to try. I search for sites that exlpain things in plain language, that way I have a better chance of understanding what I'm reading. Unfortunately, one of the problems that I have is that very few of the discovered PDF files that I discovered apply to this specific topic.

Thank you all for the patience and understanding with my Dumb questions.

The only DUMB question is the one question you DID NOT ask...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2009, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

"I'm only now beginning to comprehend how much I wasn't able to learn in school due to teacher's that were only their to collect a pay check."

It's easy to blame teachers for what you didn't learn in school but there are just too many cases of students exposed to the same teachers and graduated from the same high school that can't fill out a job application while some of their classmates go on to college, get a degree and have successful professional lives to blame it all on teachers.  Teachers can only teach students who want to learn and the desire to learn is usually gotten from the home.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
        Member #73037
        April 3, 2009
        147 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2009, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

RJOH,

You are quite right.

The only DUMB question is the one question you DID NOT ask...