Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can it pass the "So what" test?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19826 Posts
Posted: September 1, 2009, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

There are two basic ways to go on short-term trends:

1) design a system that adjusts itself to short-term trends or
2) design a system that is based on a longer haul pattern and ignores short term variances.

The hit-the-target exercises in Statistical Process Control come to mind... and also roulette (will RED come up for the fourth time in a row or will BLACK finally show?)

When a game gets dropped, I don't expect that even if someone had cracked its "code" that that fact would be publicized. Wink
I have never heard anything other than "lack of public interest" as a reason for dropped games.

Before we get too far gone, are we talking about pencil & paper systems or more complex mechanical ones?
With pencil & paper methods, there is a habit of telling yourself you would have made this or that adjustment to get the hit. (That's one reason dreck methods like "x/pi" and "magic square" persist; they let you see, usually only after the drawing, whatever the winning number ... was.) Roll Eyes
Computer modeling doesn't let you trick yourself like that.

"I have never heard anything other than "lack of public interest" as a reason for dropped games."

When Ohio dropped SuperLottoPlus (6/49+1) they used a similar excuse but I suspect they could no longer afford to increase the jackpot by $2M after every roll because it wasn't attracting the number of players it once did.  When the game first started it was the best game in the area and many of its players were from the surrounding states.  At surrounding states added better local games along with PowerBall and BigGame players started playing in their own states and Ohioan started going to those states to play PowerBall and BigGame.

Ohio finally joined BigGame and it became MegaMillions and replaced SuperLottoPlus with Lot'O Play which only lasted a year.  Because of popular demands ;), they bought back the 6/49 game with Classic Lotto which would increase $100K or more if it rolled depending on sales.   I don't know why states don't just come out and say they are dropping a game because it not making enough money for them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: September 1, 2009, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

We had a game called red-white-blue; ten numbers in each color, two numbers pulled from each group (2 red, two white, 2 blue) and you had to match number and color so 1,2,3,4,5,6 was not the same as 1,2,3,4,5,6. 'Took one look at that game and said ... ok, well, nevermind what I saidBig Grin. That game died rather quickly, though. 

'Could probably do a whole thread on "Games that needed to be taken behind the shed and killed with a blunt object". Smash

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3103 Posts
      Posted: September 1, 2009, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

When you sorted your list of 39 combinations, you ended up with 40.  Where did the 1 7 13 24 31 come from?

Aw crap, never get old.  That was the 40th line I skipped when posting the build, then it got mixed in when I sorted the lines and another was left out.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: September 1, 2009, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

BobP,

Since Casey Stengel meant games are lost by errors, bonehead plays, bad base running, etc., how can we apply that to lotto?

"Falling in live" with a system even though it just doesn't produce winners?

RJOH,

Goos examples.

time*treat,

The Union Plaza (at the time, now it's the Plaza I think) in Vegas wanted to increase the take in Keno. This was prety simple and did the trick- for the same numbers chosen they offered a second drawing, so called the first one "Red game" and the second one "Green game". Whatever the price of the ticket was naturally doubled to play both games.

I keep thinking some day we're going to see a kind of twist on this in some lotto game.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3103 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2009, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

BobP,

Since Casey Stengel meant games are lost by errors, bonehead plays, bad base running, etc., how can we apply that to lotto?

"Falling in live" with a system even though it just doesn't produce winners?

RJOH,

Goos examples.

time*treat,

The Union Plaza (at the time, now it's the Plaza I think) in Vegas wanted to increase the take in Keno. This was prety simple and did the trick- for the same numbers chosen they offered a second drawing, so called the first one "Red game" and the second one "Green game". Whatever the price of the ticket was naturally doubled to play both games.

I keep thinking some day we're going to see a kind of twist on this in some lotto game.

"Most ball games are lost, not won."  Casey Stengel

"BobP,

Since Casey Stengel meant games are lost by errors, bonehead plays, bad base running, etc., how can we apply that to lotto?"

Meant it as bit of humor because lotto is a ball game, now I'm not so sure what he meant as every base ball game has one winner and one loser, so how can more games be lost then won? 

I appreciate your attempt to look for something beyond the usual suspects.

BobP

http://www.geocities.com/wallstreet/7746/hwc.html

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2009, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

BobP

He meant that of the ganes a team lost, they "beat themselves", not that the other team outplayed them. John Madden basically said the same thing about pro football, statistically more games are decided by turnovers.

For the lotto and a "so what" test, I'm trying to do a "reverse" approach here. Picture ourselves as on a lottery commission and we're given an assignment to see if anyone out there has come up with something we should be concerned about, not cheating, but something that produced consistent jackpot and second tier winners.

The lotteries are very well aware that most lower prizes just go right back into the lotto.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19826 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2009, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

"For the lotto and a "so what" test, I'm trying to do a "reverse" approach here. Picture ourselves as on a lottery commission and we're given an assignment to see if anyone out there has come up with something we should be concerned about, not cheating, but something that produced consistent jackpot and second tier winners."

I would think that's a permanent assignment for every lottery commission.  They probably constantly monitor sales and payouts as was mentioned in the PowerBall story concerning the fortune cookies incident when over 100 players won the second tier prize without a significant increase in sales.  If anyone ever came up with such a system, I doubt if they would do anything to bring attention to themselves before they had a chance to win a few jackpots.  If someone won several second tier prizes consistently it's more likely they would be investigated for money laundering because it would be thought they were buying up winners with dirty money and cashing them in for clean money.

Evil Looking       

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                West Side of Sunny Florida
                United States
                Member #55048
                September 8, 2007
                3371 Posts
                Posted: September 3, 2009, 5:54 am - IP Logged

GREAT discussion everyone!! Coin Toss, I like the idea you are proposing as I try to look at the lottery every way possible to look for trends or 'ways' it might be moving.  

This is the BEST of LP as there is an open discussion of ideas!

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: September 4, 2009, 12:58 am - IP Logged

RJOh,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the lotteries have people doing just that (what a job!).

bashlet572

Thanks. It is nice when we get discussions going.

Lep

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: September 4, 2009, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

BobP

He meant that of the ganes a team lost, they "beat themselves", not that the other team outplayed them. John Madden basically said the same thing about pro football, statistically more games are decided by turnovers.

For the lotto and a "so what" test, I'm trying to do a "reverse" approach here. Picture ourselves as on a lottery commission and we're given an assignment to see if anyone out there has come up with something we should be concerned about, not cheating, but something that produced consistent jackpot and second tier winners.

The lotteries are very well aware that most lower prizes just go right back into the lotto.

The lotteries do their rigging in the odds/payout space; any type of deliberate encoding of the numbers runs the risk of being DEcoded.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3103 Posts
                      Posted: September 6, 2009, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking what worries lottery directors doesn't have to be what any one player does, and could include an idea distributed across enough players to make a difference. 

For example a random number selction system for Pick-5 that includes a wheel with 3 key numbers against all the other numbers.  For 5/39 this would take only 18 lines and guarantee two 4 number prizes when the 3 keys are correct. 

For Pick-6 a wheel with 4 key numbers against all the other numbers.  For 6/49 this would take 23 lines and guarantee two 5 number prizes with the 4 keys correct.  In fact the odds of a jackpot with 4 keys correct would be pretty good. 

BobP

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19826 Posts
                        Posted: September 6, 2009, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking what worries lottery directors doesn't have to be what any one player does, and could include an idea distributed across enough players to make a difference. 

For example a random number selction system for Pick-5 that includes a wheel with 3 key numbers against all the other numbers.  For 5/39 this would take only 18 lines and guarantee two 4 number prizes when the 3 keys are correct. 

For Pick-6 a wheel with 4 key numbers against all the other numbers.  For 6/49 this would take 23 lines and guarantee two 5 number prizes with the 4 keys correct.  In fact the odds of a jackpot with 4 keys correct would be pretty good. 

BobP

I would think players having 3 numbers right in every combination they played in a 5/39 game would upset the apple cart even if they only played one line and the same for a 6/49 game if they had 4 numbers right.  Either one is not likely to happen very often.

Evil Looking