Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Big news for Internet Explorer 6/7/8 users!

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 7 years ago by truecritic.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23277 Posts
Posted: September 23, 2009, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

There is a new free download available for anyone who uses Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6 or greater.

It is called Chrome Frame, made by Google.

After a very quick install, it makes your Internet Explorer Web browser into a super-charged browser, powered behind the scenes by Google Chrome.

I tested it out on my IE6 test machine, and let me tell you -- HOLY MACKEREL -- the IE6 browser becomes very fast indeed!  It is uncanny.  I'm so used to seeing IE6 crawl at a snail's pace, but now it's downright  weird seeing it work so fast!

After seeing this I immediately enabled support for the new plugin throughout Lottery Post, so it is available RIGHT NOW.

(Web sites have to enable support for Chrome Frame in order to get the super-charged speed.)

In addition to the break-neck speed boost, your IE 6, 7, or 8 Web browser also gets upgraded to all the latest HTML Web standards supported by the advanced (and standard!) Google Chrome Web browser.

Did I mention this is free??

It runs as a plugin to the browser, so if you don't like it, it is a simple matter to disable it.

But what's not to like?!

Highly recommended, especially for IE6 users!

http://code.google.com/chrome/chromeframe/

(Click the "Get Google Chrome Frame" button to install.)

Note to IE7 users: you really should upgrade to IE8 before doing anything else.  There's no excuse to still be on IE7 -- it does not give you any benefit to stay on that browser.  It is not as secure and not as fast as IE8.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: September 26, 2009, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

I have IE 7 and was prompted to download an update but it wants to download a service pack 2. I'm a little reluctuant because I don't want a bundle of other things.

Is the svc pk 2 IE 8?

Also, do I have to have google chrome first in order to get Chrome frame?

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8365 Posts
      Posted: September 26, 2009, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I have IE 7 and was prompted to download an update but it wants to download a service pack 2. I'm a little reluctuant because I don't want a bundle of other things.

Is the svc pk 2 IE 8?

Also, do I have to have google chrome first in order to get Chrome frame?

That's funny it says here you have

joker17 Today, 5:42 pm Today, 6:24 pm 42 IE 8.0 Windows Vista

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: September 26, 2009, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

That's funny it says here you have

joker17 Today, 5:42 pm Today, 6:24 pm 42 IE 8.0 Windows Vista

I must be in the wrong zone.

Rod Serling just rolled over.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8365 Posts
          Posted: September 26, 2009, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I must be in the wrong zone.

Rod Serling just rolled over.

Yea me too i have ie8 on this pc but when i log in using aol it says i have ie7 BANG Bang Head

But when i come to lottery post on the same pc through internet explorer it says i have ie8 Green laugh

I'll never figure it out don't know that i care too.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: September 26, 2009, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Yea me too i have ie8 on this pc but when i log in using aol it says i have ie7 BANG Bang Head

But when i come to lottery post on the same pc through internet explorer it says i have ie8 Green laugh

I'll never figure it out don't know that i care too.

Just follow the light.

That's what I did...lol

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23277 Posts
              Posted: September 26, 2009, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

You IE8 users being identified as IE7:  it is because you have your browser set to IE7 (compatibility) mode!  It has nothing to do with Lottery Post.  You need to change back to IE8 mode.  It's that little "broken page" icon next to the Web address.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                Ohio
                United States
                Member #49980
                February 21, 2007
                34202 Posts
                Posted: September 27, 2009, 6:04 am - IP Logged

You IE8 users being identified as IE7:  it is because you have your browser set to IE7 (compatibility) mode!  It has nothing to do with Lottery Post.  You need to change back to IE8 mode.  It's that little "broken page" icon next to the Web address.

Hi todd how do you know which one you have? I have a new Computer, and my Page loads to AOL. When I turn on my Computer. I have a Compac Hp.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23277 Posts
                  Posted: September 27, 2009, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Hi todd how do you know which one you have? I have a new Computer, and my Page loads to AOL. When I turn on my Computer. I have a Compac Hp.

Marcie,

Unfortunately AOL hides technical details from view.  I'm really not sure how AOL works with IE8 or how you would see it, because I don't use AOL.  Maybe an AOL user could help you out here.

Regardless, you don't have to use the AOL Web browser to view the Internet, even if you use an AOL dial-up connection.

All you have to do is connect to AOL as you normally do, and after it is connected, launch your "real" (non-AOL) Web browser.  For example, you could use Firefox, Chrome, or even IE (preferably IE8).

You can actually install as many Web browsers as you like.  It does not hurt your PC, and they do not interfere with each other.  You can even use different Web browsers at the same time on your current Internet connection.

I install all Web browser brands on my PCs so that I can test them.  However, for normal Web surfing it's probably best to stick to 2 or 3.  You can certainly install as many as you like, and then uninstall what you don't like.

The first non-IE browser I'd recommend installing is Firefox.  It is the most mature and popular of the non-IE browsers.  About 10% - 15% of people viewing Lottery Post are using Firefox.

The Google Chrome browser (which is not the same as Chrome Frame discussed here -- it's a separate product) came out last year.  It is more of a "minimalist" design, so if you don't want all the bells and whistles of browsers like IE and Firefox, Chrome is for you.

The other thing Chrome has to its advantage is that it is hands-down the fastest browser on the market.  If you are a regular IE user and suddenly switch to Google Chrome, you'll feel like your Internet connection suddenly started going 5 times faster.  The difference in speed is like night and day.  And for that reason, I really enjoy using Google Chrome.

However, I personally think that IE8 has the best usability of any browser.  Microsoft goes to great lengths to test how "real people" (not geeks) like to use their computer, and I think it makes their interfaces much more friendly.

See how there is not one clear-cut way to recommend something?  Each browser has its strengths and weaknesses, so you really just have to install them and figure out what you like.  As I mentioned, there is no harm in keeping several installed on your computer and switching back and forth.

Here are links to product pages for the major browsers.  Keep in mind that everything here is entirely free.

Firefox: www.firefox.com

Google Chrome: www.google.com/chrome

IE8: www.microsoft.com/ie

Safari: www.apple.com/safari

Opera: www.opera.com

By the way, Windows 98 and Windows ME users normally think they are stuck using the incredibly bad IE5 or IE6.  They are not!  In fact, I did a lot of research on the topic and came up with two good alternatives for Windows 98 and Windows ME users, to help get them onto a fast, safe, and modern Web browser. 

You can view the article I wrote about it here: http://www.lotterypost.com/help/195898

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                    Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #49980
                    February 21, 2007
                    34202 Posts
                    Posted: September 27, 2009, 8:09 am - IP Logged

Marcie,

Unfortunately AOL hides technical details from view.  I'm really not sure how AOL works with IE8 or how you would see it, because I don't use AOL.  Maybe an AOL user could help you out here.

Regardless, you don't have to use the AOL Web browser to view the Internet, even if you use an AOL dial-up connection.

All you have to do is connect to AOL as you normally do, and after it is connected, launch your "real" (non-AOL) Web browser.  For example, you could use Firefox, Chrome, or even IE (preferably IE8).

You can actually install as many Web browsers as you like.  It does not hurt your PC, and they do not interfere with each other.  You can even use different Web browsers at the same time on your current Internet connection.

I install all Web browser brands on my PCs so that I can test them.  However, for normal Web surfing it's probably best to stick to 2 or 3.  You can certainly install as many as you like, and then uninstall what you don't like.

The first non-IE browser I'd recommend installing is Firefox.  It is the most mature and popular of the non-IE browsers.  About 10% - 15% of people viewing Lottery Post are using Firefox.

The Google Chrome browser (which is not the same as Chrome Frame discussed here -- it's a separate product) came out last year.  It is more of a "minimalist" design, so if you don't want all the bells and whistles of browsers like IE and Firefox, Chrome is for you.

The other thing Chrome has to its advantage is that it is hands-down the fastest browser on the market.  If you are a regular IE user and suddenly switch to Google Chrome, you'll feel like your Internet connection suddenly started going 5 times faster.  The difference in speed is like night and day.  And for that reason, I really enjoy using Google Chrome.

However, I personally think that IE8 has the best usability of any browser.  Microsoft goes to great lengths to test how "real people" (not geeks) like to use their computer, and I think it makes their interfaces much more friendly.

See how there is not one clear-cut way to recommend something?  Each browser has its strengths and weaknesses, so you really just have to install them and figure out what you like.  As I mentioned, there is no harm in keeping several installed on your computer and switching back and forth.

Here are links to product pages for the major browsers.  Keep in mind that everything here is entirely free.

Firefox: www.firefox.com

Google Chrome: www.google.com/chrome

IE8: www.microsoft.com/ie

Safari: www.apple.com/safari

Opera: www.opera.com

By the way, Windows 98 and Windows ME users normally think they are stuck using the incredibly bad IE5 or IE6.  They are not!  In fact, I did a lot of research on the topic and came up with two good alternatives for Windows 98 and Windows ME users, to help get them onto a fast, safe, and modern Web browser. 

You can view the article I wrote about it here: http://www.lotterypost.com/help/195898

I never use it is just my homepage. I usually go to Yahoo AT&T I think I did see microsoft internet explorer. Thanks, I though AOl, was part of Google anyway. Sometimes I use it to search for something. Thanks for info. Todd have a good Sunday!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: September 27, 2009, 8:40 am - IP Logged

thanks todd,we have dsl which is fast.wife has vista on one of her laptops,and hates it,compared to win xp.will try chrome.she has a smaller laptop like5x5 in.because it's not so heavy on lap.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23277 Posts
                        Posted: September 27, 2009, 8:55 am - IP Logged

thanks todd,we have dsl which is fast.wife has vista on one of her laptops,and hates it,compared to win xp.will try chrome.she has a smaller laptop like5x5 in.because it's not so heavy on lap.

I understand about the reaction to Vista after using XP for a while.  Many people have that initial reaction. 

It's a very common thing that also happened when Microsoft first came out with Windows XP.  Before that, everyone used either Windows 98 or Windows ME.  People absolutely HATED Windows XP, and it tooks years to get people switched out of Windows 98/ME (and there are STILL some stragglers).

After a while you do get accustomed to the new interface in Vista, and you'd miss certain things if you switched back to XP.

I've been using Windows 7 (the successor to Windows Vista) since July, and I absolutely love it, but again there are a few interface changes, and I'm sure there will be people who initially hate that too.  In fact it took me a bit of time to get used to the new taskbar in Windows 7, but I just grit my teeth and used it, and now I love it and understand why Microsoft built it that way.

Windows 7 is like a big refinement to Vista.  It is not radically different, like Vista was to XP, but instead it makes things a little easier to find and more understandable.  Also, the UAE (User Account Control, which forces you to approve certain changes to your computer before it will continue) has gotten much better, and occurs far less frequently.

Windows 7 officially comes out in October.

The other thing to keep in mind is that using Vista, and especially Windows 7, greatly increases your security.  Researchers typically measure how secure an operating system is by the number of security patches that are required on a monthly and yearly basis.  Vista has been the top-rated operating system in that category since it came out.  Windows 7 has been even better than Vista since it was released to developers in July.

So I guess I'm saying just hang in there and release it's all a mixed bag.  At least on the browser side of things there are many alternatives, and anyone can find something that works for them.  There is always the uninstall feature if you don't like something.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8365 Posts
                          Posted: September 27, 2009, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I'm not saying it has anything to do with Lottery Post This is the new PC I never loaded IE7 when i got it it was already loaded with IE8

This anomaly is probably due to AOL not recognizing which version of IE i am using and defaults to IE7 because that was the last version I had when I loaded AOl on the new PC.
                          As long as it's working. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

When i am on AOL and go to Lottery Post from there and click whose on line my info says see below

four4me Today, 7:43 pm Today, 7:46 pm 3 IE 7.0/AOL 9.0 Windows Vista

Now same computer using Internet explorer and going to Lottery Post it says see below

four4me Today, 7:43 pm Today, 7:54 pm 11 IE 8.0 Windows Vista
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23277 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2009, 6:11 am - IP Logged
                            I'm not saying it has anything to do with Lottery Post This is the new PC I never loaded IE7 when i got it it was already loaded with IE8

This anomaly is probably due to AOL not recognizing which version of IE i am using and defaults to IE7 because that was the last version I had when I loaded AOl on the new PC.
                            As long as it's working. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

When i am on AOL and go to Lottery Post from there and click whose on line my info says see below

four4me Today, 7:43 pm Today, 7:46 pm 3 IE 7.0/AOL 9.0 Windows Vista

Now same computer using Internet explorer and going to Lottery Post it says see below

four4me Today, 7:43 pm Today, 7:54 pm 11 IE 8.0 Windows Vista

Yes, that is most certainly the reason. AOL uses an older (customized) version of IE.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #22395
                              September 24, 2005
                              1583 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2009, 7:54 am - IP Logged

The only thing about using any Google software is the tracking Google does.  I like to search with Google but that is the limit I accept because of their tracking.

It may not bother some to be tracked because it is not something visible.  As it is, I see more and more targeted ads appearing on websites I visit.  I don't like giving up what little anonymity remains on the Internet.